Exeter Chiefs

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter Chiefs

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:14 pm My concern is that Exeter haven't properly addressed this ie. "We have done a thorough in-house review of our branding to make sure it is appropriate", or "We have been in consultation with representatives of the Native American peoples to ensure our branding does not make offence", or even made a statement saying that "The branding was done to give Exeter Rugby Football Club a professional outlook that reflects the Devonian tradition of naming a club's first XV the Chiefs, not to make financial gain by using incorrect stereotypes of the indigenous Americans" etc but oh no our Lord and Saviour Tony Rowe doesn't think they're in the wrong so nothing will be done...

Doing or saying nothing is making things worse in my view and increasing the pressure on the Chiefs to rebrand.
Totally agree it’s not just going to go away.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Exeter Chiefs to keep logo & name, but their mascot will be retired, BBC confirms. Very much “we’re not going to change anything but look like we’re doing something” in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:31 pm Exeter Chiefs to keep logo & name, but their mascot will be retired, BBC confirms. Very much “we’re not going to change anything but look like we’re doing something” in my opinion.
Think they may have missed the point, of one of the major objections by native Indians is the use of the Headdress, which is the main part of the chiefs emblem.
Also, unless I’ve missed it, no mention of asking their fans to stop wearing native Indian garb, as and when they’re allowed back in.
Typical Tony Rowe, riding roughshod over everything.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Latest news certainly not going to quell the storm...Out of step to say the least , I believe.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Agreed, not just tone deaf as Exeter Chiefs for change point out but also stupid.

It will only deepen divisions between fan groups and society in general is clearly heading in one direction.

How long until the first question Rob Baxter/Jack Nowell always get asked is about this? How long until a player breaks ranks and admits probably not the best branding?

Can’t see them still having the branding in one years time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The EC4C fan group certainly aren’t holding back and I fully agree with them:

https://twitter.com/joshgardner/status/ ... 12640?s=21
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

The way I see it is Exeter can do as they please. If they want to use the name Chiefs and people choose to be offended by it then that’s up to Exeter to continue to do so and up to those people being offended to carry on being so.

If by Exeter choosing to continue with the name Chiefs means those people offended will keep banging on about it then so be it and if it means Exeter will be seen in a bad light by a minority, then so be it.

Some people don’t like Leicester Tigers and whatever we do, people will still feel that way.
Last edited by TigerBoy1880 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They’re being seen in a bad light by more than just a “minority”.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 am They’re being seen in a bad light by more than just a “minority”.
Really? I’d say it’s a minority.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Shock,horror I agree with Tigerboy, this is getting farcical now.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 am The way I see it is Exeter can do as they please. If they want to use the name Chiefs and people choose to be offended by it then that’s up to Exeter to continue to do so and up to those people being offended to carry on being so.

If by Exeter choosing to continue with the name Chiefs means those people offended will keep banging on about it then so be it and if it means Exeter will be seen in a bad light by a minority, then so be it.

Some people don’t like Leicester Tigers and whatever we do, people will still feel that way.
I think you may have missed the point, it isn’t the name chiefs that’s the main issue, it’s the using of Native Indian symbology, in their emblem, getting rid of their mascot isn’t going to change that.

If I was a cynic, I would say the cost of having to rebadge, all their playing, training and leisure gear, is the main driver behind this decision
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:21 am The way I see it is Exeter can do as they please. If they want to use the name Chiefs and people choose to be offended by it then that’s up to Exeter to continue to do so and up to those people being offended to carry on being so.

I think you may have missed the point, it isn’t the name chiefs that’s the main issue, it’s the using of Native Indian symbology, in their emblem, getting rid of their mascot isn’t going to change that.

If I was a cynic, I would say the cost of having to rebadge, all their playing, training and leisure gear, is the main driver behind this decision
Whatever the reason, Exeter are entitled to use that and choose not to change.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:36 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am

Whatever the reason, Exeter are entitled to use that and choose not to change.
I would suggest you do a little more research, and whilst I agree with you saying it’s their choice, look at the reason why one of America’s leading sports franchises, Washington Redskins, are making changes. It may be a minority in this country but this is a global issue.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

The cynic in me sort of agrees that the cost of re-branding when they will have already placed orders for next season's kit and merchandise may be a factor and I can see this being re-visited at the end of next season.

I think that, if a team with the size and history of the Washington Redskins feels the need to change name then others should be following suit.

Not sure if I have missed anything but has there been any comment on the need for fans to change their behaviour. Surely if any steps that they take are going to be seen to have any validity, they need to be stopping fans wearing native american gear, making cliched native american chants etc. If that is allowed to continue then the club really have not listened at all and have learned nothing.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

GB72 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 am The cynic in me sort of agrees that the cost of re-branding when they will have already placed orders for next season's kit and merchandise may be a factor and I can see this being re-visited at the end of next season.

I think that, if a team with the size and history of the Washington Redskins feels the need to change name then others should be following suit.

Not sure if I have missed anything but has there been any comment on the need for fans to change their behaviour. Surely if any steps that they take are going to be seen to have any validity, they need to be stopping fans wearing native american gear, making cliched native american chants etc. If that is allowed to continue then the club really have not listened at all and have learned nothing.
Fan’s behaviour is certainly something that has been discussed, both dressing as Native Americans and them singing the Tomahawk Chop, something also used by fans of the Kansas City Chiefs, amongst others.