Fiji entering the 6 Nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Fiji entering the 6 Nations

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Seeing reports that Fiji are entering the 6 Nations along with possibly Japan for a mini tournament in place of the normal autumn internationals.

Nadolo put on Twitter that they should use Welford road as their base
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Fiji entering the 6 Nations

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Apparently not the actual competition , but a separate one off tournament involving 'Six Nation' participants placed presumably in the proposed new international window (believe Nov - Dec 2020).
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The French are not happy with the test window proposals.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:31 am The French are not happy with the test window proposals.
The French are never happy it is their nature!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wormus wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:44 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:31 am The French are not happy with the test window proposals.
The French clubs like their season the way it is. They are very resistant to change. I have to see their point the new extended test window is about seven weeks long isn't it? We effectively get back to the season we're already behind on and then the is internationals go away for seven weeks, five games and two rest weeks I think. It's a profit making exercise for the unions which they need after the pandemic.

The dates are the 24th October to 5th December. For the English clubs that means if rugby is returning mid November we won't see home nations internationals for the first fourish games. They'll also miss the last few weeks of pre season.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:58 am
The French clubs like their season the way it is. They are very resistant to change. I have to see their point the new extended test window is about seven weeks long isn't it? We effectively get back to the season we're already behind on and then the is internationals go away for seven weeks, five games and two rest weeks I think. It's a profit making exercise for the unions which they need after the pandemic.

The dates are the 24th October to 5th December. For the English clubs that means if rugby is returning mid November we won't see home nations internationals for the first fourish games. They'll also miss the last few weeks of pre season.
Being selfish, it’s another indicator of our excellent recruitment that we’ll be missing at most 3 England players, though you could add a couple of Fijians to that, if this proposal comes to fruition
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

That French hooker we had was a good egg as well; his sojourn (derivation - French ‘sejour’) in Leicester even got him sufficiently fluent in English to be able to commentate on rugby.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

TomWeston wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:17 am
The French are never happy it is their nature! S
That French hooker we had was a good egg as well; his sojourn (derivation - French ‘sejour’) in Leicester even got him sufficiently fluent in English to be able to commentate on rugby.

Still off the subject of this thread, former Tiger Benjamin Kayser was indeed a top notch hooker (37 appearances for the XV de France). As for the question of Fiji participating in the 6N, I can’t really see any valid reason why they should. World Rugby, or whatever it’s called, would be obliged to support them financially and I they’re probably strapped for cash too. If they do join, then teams like Georgia won’t be too happy as they probably think they should be first in line - maybe at the expense of Italy. Maybe the time has come for a two-tier 6N to include Fiji, Japan, Georgia, Samoa. Isn’t Germany an up and coming team too?
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Spain? Canada? USA?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:54 am Spain? Canada? USA?
Yes!
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

For Tom Weston - there's a BBC article that covers the same ground in May.
The French?
https://tinyurl.com/y32mrg64

We are probably fortunate that rugby is a minority sport on TV, otherwise the current COVID chaos could badly interfere with governance, with other venture/hedge types entering the fray.

Any competition that brings benefit to the SSIslanders, exploited for decades, is good in my eyes.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:47 am
TomWeston wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:17 am

The French are never happy it is their nature! S

Still off the subject of this thread, former Tiger Benjamin Kayser was indeed a top notch hooker (37 appearances for the XV de France). As for the question of Fiji participating in the 6N, I can’t really see any valid reason why they should. World Rugby, or whatever it’s called, would be obliged to support them financially and I they’re probably strapped for cash too. If they do join, then teams like Georgia won’t be too happy as they probably think they should be first in line - maybe at the expense of Italy. Maybe the time has come for a two-tier 6N to include Fiji, Japan, Georgia, Samoa. Isn’t Germany an up and coming team too?
As the moderators here have truncated part of my previous post, I'm glad you got to it before they did, and even happier to give them more censorship opportunities!

Posted too soon! Your post has had part of mine removed as well!! I hope the moderators are as quick to act on what they deem off-topic comments in future. I've noticed certain posters seem to have a charmed life whilst others like me get short shrift.
Last edited by TomWeston on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am For Tom Weston - there's a BBC article that covers the same ground in May.
The French?

We are probably fortunate that rugby is a minority sport on TV, otherwise the current COVID chaos could badly interfere with governance, with other venture/hedge types entering the fray.

Any competition that brings benefit to the SSIslanders, exploited for decades, is good in my eyes.
Thanks for the link - most useful. I was pretty sure you would add your twopennorth.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am For Tom Weston - there's a BBC article that covers the same ground in May.
The French?

So as usual inept UK government policies, make EU the scapegoat which the pro Brexit newspapers were always happy to help with. We should probably leave that debate there or move it onto another thread.

I doubt there will be any long term changes to the 6N this will be a short term revenue generation project by the home nation unions as they've all lost a lot of money over Covid. WRU being the big losers as the Principality Stadium isn't available as it's being used as a hospital. Unsure where they will host their games, Wembley being mentioned but that's a bit of a trek. Birmingham would be closer and Villa Park is nearly 43k in capacity. Cardiff City Stadium is 33k.