Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Championship clubs to break away?

Post by fleabane »

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/cham ... 7c32a8cb6c

A ring fenced league, with no relegation or promotion from National League One, and no drop-down from the Premiership has been proposed and agreed at a Championship meeting. A sixteen club league split into two divisions should ensure better financial stability, with fewer games improving player health.

Sarries could be the last club to make the drop.
Valhalla I am coming!
SthrnTiger

Re: Championship clubs to break away?

Post by SthrnTiger »

I think this is inevitable now. Would be very surprised if Sarries weren’t the last club to get relegated.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does that mean we will have a 13 team premiership?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Would that mean no way back in to Prem then - if no relegation or promotion? How would Sarries feel about that?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think they need to in order to survive,.
It does say it would be a 13 team premiership, but I’m assuming this will be from the 21/22 season, with Sarries a certainty to be promoted
Again I don’t think a 13 team premiership is a bad thing with each side having 2 bye weeks, in a 26 week season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RichieB wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 am Would that mean no way back in to Prem then - if no relegation or promotion? How would Sarries feel about that?
The article says 13 team Prem, Sarries weren't involved in the meeting, but imagine if Sarries had a bloke sent off in the playoffs or something and missed the VERY LAST promotion spot...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:50 am
RichieB wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 am Would that mean no way back in to Prem then - if no relegation or promotion? How would Sarries feel about that?
The article says 13 team Prem, Sarries weren't involved in the meeting, but imagine if Sarries had a bloke sent off in the playoffs or something and missed the VERY LAST promotion spot...
If they’re ring fencing they’ll get rid of the playoffs no point, in fact they may already have done that.
With the possible exception of Ealing it would be financial suicide for any championship club to be promoted into the premiership
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The play offs have been already been abandoned for the last few seasons. We cannot say that it would be financial suicide for any club promoted to the Premiership, a promoted team would generate new fans and investment in just the same way that Exeter and Worcester did and Ealing and Cornish Pirates might.
I really do not like ring fencing at any level and what will happen in the future if Saracens, Bristol, Bath or anyone else decides to cheat the cap, what will be an appropriate punishment?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm guessing Ealing were the club that didn't agree. They must be more than a little frustrated...
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

With no threat of relegation the promoted side could take the beatings for a couple of years while using the TV money to upgrade facilities such as stands to accommodate bigger crowds and then playing squad. Patience would be a new avenue open to clubs...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:12 am The play offs have been already been abandoned for the last few seasons. We cannot say that it would be financial suicide for any club promoted to the Premiership, a promoted team would generate new fans and investment in just the same way that Exeter and Worcester did and Ealing and Cornish Pirates might.
I really do not like ring fencing at any level and what will happen in the future if Saracens, Bristol, Bath or anyone else decides to cheat the cap, what will be an appropriate punishment?
I’m just not sure in the current climate they would, only Exeter were running at a profit before the pandemic. All in my opinion of course.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:15 am I'm guessing Esling were the club that didn't agree. They must be more than a little frustrated...
Indeed. Very tough on the ambitious Championship clubs to discover there is a glass ceiling, no matter how well they perform or how much they invest in meeting the other Premiership eligibility criteria.

Or is there to be a route up by default (e.g.. should an existing Premiership club enter administration and no longer be a going concern)?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:58 am
Tiglon wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:15 am I'm guessing Esling were the club that didn't agree. They must be more than a little frustrated...
Indeed. Very tough on the ambitious Championship clubs to discover there is a glass ceiling, no matter how well they perform or how much they invest in meeting the other Premiership eligibility criteria.

Or is there to be a route up by default (e.g.. should an existing Premiership club enter administration and no longer be a going concern)?
To my mind there should be an even number of teams in a division, that way you can have all teams having a fixture in each round. Make an offer of 14 clubs and see which clubs are ambitious enough to try for it...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:17 pm

To my mind there should be an even number of teams in a division, that way you can have all teams having a fixture in each round. Make an offer of 14 clubs and see which clubs are ambitious enough to try for it...
Disagree. By having an odd number of teams it gives one team a rest every week-end :smt023
A2O
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:28 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Disagree. By having an odd number of teams it gives one team a rest every week-end :smt023
That would certainly be very popular with clubs, players and home unions who seem to be angling for more breaks.