Puzzled - Saracens!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Puzzled - Saracens!

Post by Dangerous4 »

So, Saracens have had almost all their international players re-sign, many on long term contracts. Just how can they do this within the salary cap? Something seems a bit fishy to me. I am thinking free material items.

Maybe I am just being cynical. :smt017
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Puzzled

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:43 pm So, Saracens have had almost all their international players re-sign, many on long term contracts. Just how can they do this within the salary cap? Something seems a bit fishy to me. I am thinking free material items.

Maybe I am just being cynical. :smt017
Skelton, Williams and Barret would be a pretty large chunk of money they've got rid off. Plus all the loan players. And the fact that they are likely to have signed for less like every other club.

It's the season after next when all the loaned players come back that seems more fishy to me...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Lets hope that are kept a very strict eye on!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Don't really see anything fishy in it. The likes of Farrell and Itoje were probably on the top salary they were ever likely to get in England. With the cuts they will still be on a good wedge and getting that secured longer term (which I take to mean minimum 3 or 4 years ) makes sense in an uncertain world. Similar to taking out a fixed rate mortgage for 5 years.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well done to all the Sarries’ players who have signed extended contracts.
Jamie George, Farrel, Itoje etc showing loyal and know that despite all their troubles they are a superbly coached club.
I for one look forward to going to Allianz Park when Sarries return and if we don’t get relegated!
Secondly, the internationals won’t be “ burnt out” as they will get plenty of rest for the next season.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:59 pm Well done to all the Sarries’ players who have signed extended contracts.
Jamie George, Farrel, Itoje etc showing loyal and know that despite all their troubles they are a superbly coached club.
I for one look forward to going to Allianz Park when Sarries return and if we don’t get relegated!
Secondly, the internationals won’t be “ burnt out” as they will get plenty of rest for the next season.
I thought Allianz had withdrawn their sponsorship. They are a superbly coached club but McCall etc had as much knowledge as anyone about what was going on, which imo makes them equally culpable
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Players out so far;

Matt Gallagher
Richard Wigglesworth
Ben Spencer
Titi Lamisitole
Joe Gray
George Kruis
Will Skelton
Brad Barritt
Liam Williams
Rhys Carre

That isn't including the loan deals.

Players in;

Aled Davies - Ospreys - Wales 4th choice SH
Callum Hunter-Hill - Edinburgh having been on loan at Sarries this season
Tim Swinson - Edinburgh though he'd actually retired.
Will Hooley - Bedford
Harry Sloan - Ealing
Alec Clarey - Jersey
Janco Venter - Jersey

I think that may have freed up quite a bit of cap space.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Quite.
Suddenly the same players have become so much cheaper and few have departed yet they are now within the salary cap.

The song remains the same.......but the smell isn’t of roses!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

:smt017 so most people think Aled Davies, Tim Swinson and a bunch of Championship journeymen cost a similar amount to Skelton, Wigglesworth, Spencer, Lamositele, Kruis, Barritt, Williams and Carre? I know Sarries are "the bad guys" but come on, be realistic - they've clearly made a very large reduction in their playing wages just from their recruitment - and that's before you consider the possibility that many existing players have re-signed on reduced terms.

Put your pitchforks down and open your eyes. I share the feeling of puzzlement, but for different reasons...
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Some class players have REMAINED FAITHFUL to their club (Sarries) in difficult times.
Were championing our lads for doing the same.
I don't believe that Sarries would risk financial irregularities whilst being under the spotlight.A season down with a quick return gives Mr Borthwick the time to get his message and style of play working to high level. So I for one welcome them back to Welford Road so we can right wrongs ON THE FIELD OF PLAY :smt023
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Like a lot of individuals or teams caught being naughty in sport, the smell never goes away & often quite rightly.
For the sake of the Premiership I hope they are compliant when they return, but I like many will not be convinced.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The season after this is when they have to begin to make their books balance - for their somewhat inevitable Premiership return.
Taking what we are shown at face value (I know , I know..) I believe that we have to commend those who have re signed and re committed to their club.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 am The season after this is when they have to begin to make their books balance - for their somewhat inevitable Premiership return.
Taking what we are shown at face value (I know , I know..) I believe that we have to commend those who have re signed and re committed to their club.
I do agree, it will be interesting to see when Test rugby returns if the Saracens players lack a little intensity in that arena, the flip side is that they won’t be subject to the intensity of premiership rugby, which will allow their bodies to recuperate and may even prolong their career by a season or so.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:02 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 am The season after this is when they have to begin to make their books balance - for their somewhat inevitable Premiership return.
I do agree, it will be interesting to see when Test rugby returns if the Saracens players lack a little intensity in that arena, the flip side is that they won’t be subject to the intensity of premiership rugby, which will allow their bodies to recuperate and may even prolong their career by a season or so.
It will be interesting to see who has the guts to sponsor Saracens now Alliance has walked away. Would you want your company associated with their past antics? :smt011
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If you want promotion from the Championship you have to show a host of things like a having an up to grade stadium and not having exceeded the salary cap in the season you got promoted. So Sarries can't exceed the salary cap and still get promoted.

Looking at the adjustments to their squad for this season that isn't going to be a problem as they are going to be nowhere near the cap. Looks like they are gearing up for the reduced cap for the season they will be promoted already.

Not all their players have been loyal and re-signed. They wanted Barritt to stay on but he refused, that was more to do with Championship rugby than anything else.