Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New Kit

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Just need to get something off my chest

1. Don’t mind the new strips
2. New logo thing is utterly utterly dreadful marketing gone wrong.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

At a supporters forum meeting a few seasons ago, a new sponsor was teased, and when someone mentioned Topps Tiles as a possibility, they were more than laughed, they were jeered out of court. The actual new sponsor was Caterpillar.

Topps Tiles!!!

How are the mighty fallen.
Valhalla I am coming!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:56 pm Just need to get something off my chest

You do realise the new logo will only be used on certain leisure wear, it’s not replacing anything.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:04 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:56 pm Just need to get something off my chest

You do realise the new logo will only be used on certain leisure wear, it’s not replacing anything.

It is a dreadful piece of design!
Valhalla I am coming!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

fleabane wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:01 pm At a supporters forum meeting a few seasons ago, a new sponsor was teased, and when someone mentioned Topps Tiles as a possibility, they were more than laughed, they were jeered out of court. The actual new sponsor was Caterpillar.

Topps Tiles!!!

They’re a damn fine local company that I have used on numerous occasions. Why is their money any worse than anyone else’s?
Last edited by MCC1964 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

IMO I think Tigers have got this whole "T" thing wrong, maybe this is just me but personally I wouldn't really buy any casual wear/fashion wear with the current full Tigers logo on it as it just doesn't really work in that format, it just looks too sports-ish if that makes any sense. I feel the new "T" logo whilst not as bad has still fallen into the exact same problem, it is neither recognisably Tigers nor is it particularly appealing from a fashion point of view (that may just be my opinion).

Personally I think the Parisian teams show the two ways of doing fashion/merchandise, Tigers feel like they are currently trying to be "cool" and "modern" like Stade without having the image and culture Stade have cultivated for decades to justify it. I think they instead should be following the example of Racing 92 who's image is of being oldschool. Its probably best summed up by looking at the headers on their respective stores, For instance Stade have "beachwear", "underwear" and "naked calendars" whereas Racing 92 have "leather goods".

I'm a fan of both ways and they both work but your team has to suit them, and I know which one I would associate Tigers as a brand with more.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

As a follow up to my previous post can we please please please get a classic jersey like this :smt007

https://boutique-racing92.fr/fr/accueil ... ortif.html
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fleabane wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:14 pm
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:04 pm

It is a dreadful piece of design!
Maybe try dragging yourself into 2020, the idea is to modernise not go backwards.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:36 pm As a follow up to my previous post can we please please please get a classic jersey like this :smt007

Of course everyone is entitled to their own taste, but the club is trying to modernise, appeal to a much wider demographic and you would like them to produce a shirt that looks like it would have been worn by someone at Henley Regatta just before the First World War.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:52 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:36 pm As a follow up to my previous post can we please please please get a classic jersey like this :smt007

Of course everyone is entitled to their own taste, but the club is trying to modernise, appeal to a much wider demographic and you would like them to produce a shirt that looks like it would have been worn by someone at Henley Regatta just before the First World War.
To be clear I do think the collar on that R92 shirt is a bit ott, but I think something along those lines with a classic club crest, classic colours and stripes would be incredibly popular, Like the superdry shirt but without the superdry bit :smt005. I get the desire to reach a wider demographic but that doesn't mean everything has to look modern, R92 are incredibly successful and popular and as per my previous post have built their brand on an old school image
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:17 pm
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:52 pm

To be clear I do think the collar on that R92 shirt is a bit ott, but I think something along those lines with a classic club crest, classic colours and stripes would be incredibly popular, Like the superdry shirt but without the superdry bit :smt005. I get the desire to reach a wider demographic but that doesn't mean everything has to look modern, R92 are incredibly successful and popular and as per my previous post have built their brand on an old school image
I take your point, and in an effort to grow the fan base, the current long standing fans shouldn’t be alienated. Just imo that design would look better down the champs elysees than Belvoir Street
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:23 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:31 am
MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:05 am

So what do you suggest they they should have done then? I get the impression that for some people now that they can’t come out with outright heavy criticism of the club (which has been so easy to do in recent times and in many cases justified) that are now just trying to find any little thing to be contrary about.

We seem to behaving a moment of general optimism and positivity. Can we not just enjoy it whilst it lasts?
Tbf to JP14 he is one of the more positive members of the forum. I do agree though new kit new supplier, make other amendments at the same time, it is an up to date concept, something Tigers haven’t always done.
That's absolutley a fair point. My comment wasn't meant to be a pop at JP14 per se. It's just that God kows we've had a huge amount to whinge and moan about in recent years. I still maintin that I get the impression that some people do prefer to whinge than praise, but regardless of that I now genuinely feel that after many false dawns we genuinely have a sense of new beginnings. I firmly believe we are moving in the right direction, but no doubt if we lose the first couple of matches back the wailing and gnashing of teeth will start, so forgive me if I indulge myself and just sit back and enjoy the positive vibes for a short while! :smt043
Don't worry I didn't read it as a directed dig, yes I have aways tried to be a cautious optimist, all I'm doing is trying not to build too much expectation and get ahead of myself.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For me the T logo looks good, and there are loads of companies with different logos (Nike have two for instance, plus they own Air Jordans) so I'm just viewing it that way.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

fleabane wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:01 pm At a supporters forum meeting a few seasons ago, a new sponsor was teased, and when someone mentioned Topps Tiles as a possibility, they were more than laughed, they were jeered out of court. The actual new sponsor was Caterpillar.

Topps Tiles!!!

If I remember the dates correctly, Caterpillar becoming our sponsor was about coincident with City going down to League 1 with Topps Tiles as their sponsor. So maybe more reflective of that event.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Whinge whinge whinge

Moan moan moan.