New Kit

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Kit

Post by Longshanks »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:15 pm As I said yesterday, having viewed the kits on the app, I didn’t think either shirts were for me- probably all the shaking distorted the images!
Now I’ve viewed them on the Tigers website, I think both shirts look modern and, depending on price, quality of the “classic” versions, might be tempted.
Absolutely right. All too often in the past the design and quality of the playing shirts has not translated into attractive, wearable versions for the ordinary fan. I am hoping that lessons have been learned this time round since I believe the revenue from these exciting new designs could be a significant lifeline, especially under the Club's direct management and control.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

mol2 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:06 pm I'm sure the away strip will be lovely viewed on a black and white TV.
I’m sure we can all chip in and get you a colour tv 😉
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 pm Anyone else seen on Twitter about a new logo emphasising the T shape in the badge shield , if that makes sense.

Looks similar to what Nike did with TW with Tiger Woods
I quite like it, my concern the club are going a bit heavy-handed with the rebranding, sure it’s great to have a new & clear identity not bogged down in the past (I absolutely commend it), but there’s only so many nice ways of saying “we’re going to be absolute :censored heads on the pitch”. Furthermore, we need to walk the walk to back the tack.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:36 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 pm Anyone else seen on Twitter about a new logo emphasising the T shape in the badge shield , if that makes sense.

I quite like it, my concern the club are going a bit heavy-handed with the rebranding, sure it’s great to have a new & clear identity not bogged down in the past (I absolutely commend it), but there’s only so many nice ways of saying “we’re going to be absolute :censored heads on the pitch”. Furthermore, we need to walk the walk to back the tack.
So what do you suggest they they should have done then? I get the impression that for some people now that they can’t come out with outright heavy criticism of the club (which has been so easy to do in recent times and in many cases justified) that are now just trying to find any little thing to be contrary about.

We seem to behaving a moment of general optimism and positivity. Can we not just enjoy it whilst it lasts?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:05 am

So what do you suggest they they should have done then? I get the impression that for some people now that they can’t come out with outright heavy criticism of the club (which has been so easy to do in recent times and in many cases justified) that are now just trying to find any little thing to be contrary about.

We seem to behaving a moment of general optimism and positivity. Can we not just enjoy it whilst it lasts?
Tbf to JP14 he is one of the more positive members of the forum. I do agree though new kit new supplier, make other amendments at the same time, it is an up to date concept, something Tigers haven’t always done.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:31 am
MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:05 am

Tbf to JP14 he is one of the more positive members of the forum. I do agree though new kit new supplier, make other amendments at the same time, it is an up to date concept, something Tigers haven’t always done.
That's absolutley a fair point. My comment wasn't meant to be a pop at JP14 per se. It's just that God kows we've had a huge amount to whinge and moan about in recent years. I still maintin that I get the impression that some people do prefer to whinge than praise, but regardless of that I now genuinely feel that after many false dawns we genuinely have a sense of new beginnings. I firmly believe we are moving in the right direction, but no doubt if we lose the first couple of matches back the wailing and gnashing of teeth will start, so forgive me if I indulge myself and just sit back and enjoy the positive vibes for a short while! :smt043
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Good to see they have dropped the advertising across the backside. So undignified :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would imagine the alternative logo might be for more subtle branding on clothes etc.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:31 am I would imagine the alternative logo might be for more subtle branding on clothes etc.
Exactly. I imagine the leisure wear will be more popular without the obvious sports team logo on it which will put a lot of people off wearing it in many locations.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:31 am I would imagine the alternative logo might be for more subtle branding on clothes etc.
I agree with that. Would look good on a golf polo where a few clubs do not allow obvious sports branding on clothes worn in the clubhouse or on the course. In fact there are a few examples where clothing without such an obvious 'sports club' branding would be very handy.

Personally, I like the new shirts but, as others have said, much is down to how that translates into shirts that can be worn my people without the physique to look like they have been laminated.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Do the other clubs that Samurai supply sell classic jerseys?

If not, this may be where the new 'T' logo comes in. They could make classic jerseys but just have the lesser T rather than the proper club logo on it and possibly horizontal bands.....

A quick look on the Exeter and Sale websites shows that any traditional rugby shirts they sell are different to the playing jerseys.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

GB72 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:40 am
I agree with that. Would look good on a golf polo where a few clubs do not allow obvious sports branding on clothes worn in the clubhouse or on the course. In fact there are a few examples where clothing without such an obvious 'sports club' branding would be very handy.

Personally, I like the new shirts but, as others have said, much is down to how that translates into shirts that can be worn my people without the physique to look like they have been laminated.
Agreed that logo on the sleeve or the nape of the neck identifies it as Tigers without being too OTt
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

There are some dumb takes.
Like I saw on twitter someone comparing saying how
"You don’t see McDonalds have the golden arch on one store and then a completely different logo on another."
Without realising it's a very different market.
McDonalds are not trying to generate a sizeable chunk of it's income through merchandise sales. (and when it did it was marketed on the clown not the arches).
Most companies will have it's main brand then have different lines that can have different logo's on it.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:34 pm There are some dumb takes.
"You don’t see McDonalds have the golden arch on one store and then a completely different logo on another."
McDonalds are not trying to generate a sizeable chunk of it's income through merchandise sales. (and when it did it was marketed on the clown not the arches).
Most companies will have it's main brand then have different lines that can have different logo's on it.
Was this quote from a certain saints supporting Twitter poster. The irony is that Saints have 2 brands as well, the crest and the stick figure that both appear on merchandise.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:34 pm There are some dumb takes.
It's not like we don't bring out the vintage crest on merchandise when we feel like it either. People who want something to moan about are losing it over the stylised T because Samurai have had the nerve to produce two decent looking kits they can't moan about.

The stylised T will look good on baseball caps, jackets, polos etc in the leisure range. Leicester City have done similar on a variety of occasions. We are just moving with the times.