LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 pm So looking at the squad what do we need?
Prop
Centre x2
Wing/Full back
Maybe a short term back rower for Brink for the rest of season.
Don't want another winger but a fullback option would be very useful.

I'd happily see us bring in another good number 8 if there's one of those going. In the short term giving game time to T Smith, Lewis and Lavin for what's a dead rubber run in the end of the season could pay dividends later.

I see Heffernan has re-signed at Notts which is a surprise and they have three senior looseheads on the books including two previous Tigers. I wonder if we've helped Notts out in some way there and have an agreement to use these guys in the A league or in case of injuries.

Centres we desperately need at least one high calibre one. If the rumours are in anyway true and Huw Jones and Matias Moroni are incoming then that's good work by McGinity.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:14 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:07 am Dont think theres anything in it but Goodhue and Reiko Ioane mentioned on the Twitter page
Which twitter page ?
A couple of posters just mentioned it on the OS Twitter page on the Taufua thread. Dont believe theres anything in it
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:30 pm So looking at the squad what do we need?
Prop
Centre x2
Wing/Full back
Maybe a short term back rower for Brink for the rest of season.
Rokoduguni still hasn't agreed amended terms with Bath, with the Beziers takeover seemingly off he could be a pretty ideal replacement for Veainu. Available all season and excellent player.

Callum Gibbins would fit well as short term cover for Brink. That could be an opportunity to extend if he plays well too.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

For me the pivotal signing of Jordan Taufua has cemented what is going to be a gnarly back row combo, and along with the front five we should have some decent front foot momentum for our half backs at last.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

DingDong wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 am For me the pivotal signing of Jordan Taufua has cemented what is going to be a gnarly back row combo, and along with the front five we should have some decent front foot momentum for our half backs at last.
Absolutely. If the first choice pack are all fit and available it would be awesome. Genge Mama Cole Lavanini Enever Liebenberg Taufua Brink.
Last edited by RichieB on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

DingDong wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 am For me the pivotal signing of Jordan Taufua has cemented what is going to be a gnarly back row combo, and along with the front five we should have some decent front foot momentum for our half backs at last.
...and let's see an end to the one-out runners please, plodding into contact and getting turned over due to being isolated. Let's run hard into space and look to off-load at every opportunity. Let's get in and behind teams, to create space that any backline should be able to exploit. If there's no space, let's have someone clearing out so the ball is on a plate for Ben or Ben to get away quickly. Easier said than done I know but shouldn't be beyond us.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RichieB wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:53 am
Absolutely. If the first choice pack are all fit and available it would be awesome. Genge Mamu Cole Lavanini Enever Liebenberg Taufua Brink.
Great looking pack. Could also see Youngs and Green have a bit of a resurgence under Borthwick’s coaching so wouldn’t write them off too.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Will be good to see how Reffell will do with that pack going forwards, draining the strength out of the opposition. Also it will be good to see how well Youngs will do with Ford on the front foot. Need to add a winger and centre IMO now to really exploit the pack dominance. Balance that with judicial use of the academy youngsters mixed in with the old head :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Yep - heads up, front foot rugby with competition at the break down. I also reckon well see a more supporting team effort both in attack and defence. Why else the emphasis on fitness levels and getting the extra when you think you've nothing else to give.

I'm licking my lips at this squad, can't wait to see who else is added.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Interesting pack selection by Richie B, personally I would have Tom Youngs ahead of Mamakashvili, Jake Kerr will be pushing for a place as well. the back row looks good but Tommy Reffell and Sam Lewis will also be pushing for selection. The backs with Youngs, Ford, Scott, Taute, and Nadolo are well stocked with internationals plus Olowofela, White, Hardwick and Worth all with under 20's honours and new signings such as Henry, plus loads of young prospects the future is looking good, we may be expecting some incoming players but methinks they will have to fight for a place in the team.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

French signing deadline today.

Boffelli is hasn't got a confirmed new team has he?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 pm French signing deadline today.

Boffelli is hasn't got a confirmed new team has he?
Was rumoured to be going to R92, not sure if it was announced
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not announced.

Although I suspect with Corona they might have some kind of loophole for this year.
"Sur proposition de la Commission Paritaire du rugby professionnel composée de l'UCPR, PROVALE et TECH
XV, le Comité Directeur a acté la création d'un dispositif spécifique permettant de favoriser le retour à
l'emploi des joueurs sans contrat pour la saison 2020-2021 à la clôture de la période des mutations
programmer le 15 juillet 2020.
Ce dispositif prévoit notamment une période de mutation spécifique pour ces joueurs allant de la fin des
périodes de mutations (soit le 15 juillet 2020) jusqu’au 31 janvier 2021. Ces joueurs ne seront pas considérés
comme jokers médicaux ou "joueurs supplémentaires" ni comptabilisés dans le nombre maximum de
contrats professionnels autorisés. Leur rémunération sera en revanche incluse dans le Salary Cap."

So not sure if that means out of contract former players or all players?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Am I reading too much into Andrea's tweet and the club's response that there's plenty going on today to mean there's more to be announced than just the kit?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I read it the same way - popcorn Wednesday I hope
Hehehehehehehehe