Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Scuttle »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am I wonder if Sale will play Manu at wing to accommodate Rohan Janse vans Rensburg and Sam Hill or just rotate the three in the centres to keep everyone fresh?
I understand from Sale Forum that Van Rensburg has had ban for the first few games so this issue is less urgent. Time to work out a plan. Current view is rotation to keep the squad fresh, especially this season with midweek games. Also saying Diamond is so excited on Twitter.
As Good As It Gets
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 am
POSTIGER wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 am Whether this was a good move or not depends entirely on the replacement(s) and the recruitment as a whole.
and, I would suggest, the attitude of those who have remained at the club :smt023
Agree with the latter point. I just don't see MT moving as a problem and would love to see some hard data about exactly what his contribution to winning games, and indeed losses has been. Yes he is box office stuff but really, where is the added value on the pitch for the money. I have always thought he worried defences to the point they had to commit more men to him , potentially opening gaps elsewhere. But the more I think back, I didn't actually see many yawning gaps appear enabling out attack to walz through ; it just didn't happen leading me to think other teams did commit more men to Manu but then had a plan to cover any gaps. I am very happy about the current situation because I think the squad togetherness is more important than one or 2 fancy names.
As Good As It Gets
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am I wonder if Sale will play Manu at wing to accommodate Rohan Janse vans Rensburg and Sam Hill or just rotate the three in the centres to keep everyone fresh?
I understand from Sale Forum that Van Rensburg has had ban for the first few games so this issue is less urgent. Time to work out a plan. Current view is rotation to keep the squad fresh, especially this season with midweek games. Also saying Diamond is so excited on Twitter.
Sam James might have an opinion too, having played very well at outside centre for 80 minutes in the vast majority of matches this season.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:31 am
Scuttle wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:17 am
Sam James might have an opinion too, having played very well at outside centre for 80 minutes in the vast majority of matches this season.
Agreed. Whilst I wouldn't want it for Manu I think there is a risk of unsettling a settled squad by Diamond doing this, and in all the existing circumstances. Time will tell.
As Good As It Gets
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:21 am Manu statement

https://twitter.com/FoyChris/status/128 ... 57/photo/1
Doesn’t sound like a guy who is about to sue the whatnots off us.

Farewell Manu and thanks for everything.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:59 am

Totally agree with this, press looking for a storm in a teacup ?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:47 pm I mean I'm now a Sale fan... :smt003

In all seriousness, this talk about games played etc and his worth to the team does miss the fact that casual fans and new fans need household names they recognise to tempt them in. Although Genge will have mitigated most of it as the newest media favourite. He's probably as important to have kept than anyone else name recognition wise.
You're spot on here, there is a marketing value.

What really gets me though is when it's suggested that players like Manu are not good value because they're injured too often when talented players like Billy V are similarly targeted for extra treatment and players like Denton are being forced to retire early, and then we moan about refs not strictly policing the defensive offside line and allowing out of control diving into rucks etc.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:45 am
Possible though I don’t know how safe he would be under the high ball, and what his kicking game is like.
Also he isn’t as quick as he once was, I honestly think they’ll rotate those 3 and they’re other options
Sam James is still there as well so they have four centres all vying to start. Five if you count Luke James the utility back. Sam James is usually their secondary playmaker so maybe Hammersley will have to take on some of that role from 15 if Sale go with a Hill and Manu midfield.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Freddie's tweet was definitely directed at suing the Rugby Paper not Tigers
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am

Freddie's tweet was definitely directed at suing the Rugby Paper not Tigers
Er, yes, I’m aware of that. This was about people suggesting that he has apparently taken a reduction in wages to go to Sale speculating that he was going to sue Tigers for the rest.

That being said, if he did go for a lower wage and reading that glowing love letter from him, it does make you wonder why he really left! :smt017
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:21 pm ....That being said, if he did go for a lower wage and reading that glowing love letter from him, it does make you wonder why he really left! :smt017
The cynic in me reads that as a bit of PR.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

By the fact that the contract negotiations were a 3 way thing involving Manu, Sale and Tigers, I am guessing that there is no further action coming.My gut feeling is that agreement would have been reached with Sale and Manu that Sale pay X amount in wages, we pay X amount in compensation and everyone agrees that this is in full and final settlement.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Scuttle wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:26 am Agree with the latter point. I just don't see MT moving as a problem and would love to see some hard data about exactly what his contribution to winning games, and indeed losses has been. Yes he is box office stuff but really, where is the added value on the pitch for the money. I have always thought he worried defences to the point they had to commit more men to him , potentially opening gaps elsewhere. But the more I think back, I didn't actually see many yawning gaps appear enabling out attack to walz through ; it just didn't happen leading me to think other teams did commit more men to Manu but then had a plan to cover any gaps. I am very happy about the current situation because I think the squad togetherness is more important than one or 2 fancy names.
The problem in recent seasons has been our inability to win and keep the ball and in particular the back row and to an extent the second row. Combine that with a lack attacking structure that saw too many isolated runners with no supporting lines to offload the ball to and we have been relying too much on individual moments of magic. At times over the past few years you wonder if the only attacking plan was "chuck it to Manu" and his departure will close that option off. Again the same could have been said of Mulipola and latterly Genge. Having big guys to bust defences is good but looking for holes in the defence is probably smarter in terms of injuries.

It's all well and good having the likes of Manu (Ford, Youngs, May....) but if you don't have the ball he can neither run through gaps or create them for others. We perhaps do need a bit more star quality outside fly half to put the willies up the opposition but the basics up front and a team structure are more important for now. Centre does look a bit thin but there are good youngsters out wide. Jordan showed hints of real gas and the confidence to use it before getting injured and the lockdown intervened.

I'm sure we are all disappointed Manu has gone and the timing could have been better in terms of recruitment as most players of quality will have their contracts for next season long since sorted so it may be 21/22 season before we have a full strength squad, but the outlook is better than for a long time.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think the fact that this thread is now 19 pages long basically discussing the departure of one player says a lot.
I’m not sure what but it says a lot.

He’s gone, some say he will be missed, others say he won’t, we’ll never all agree