Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers and Rumours Non-Tigers 2019-20

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:40 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:33 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:27 pm It would be a shame to see Manu play for another Premiership team, but I suppose that's life. I wish him well, but it would really hurt to see him win anything with Sale!

Not sure how I would feel if I was a Sale player who had just taken a pay cut and then they announce they have enough cash to sign Tuilagi. Perhaps he has accepted a cut price one year deal so he can still go make mega bucks at the end of next season, whereas Tigers wanted him to extend.
I suspect Sale were able to offer a marquee slot at some point beyond this season. Maybe part of the problem is Tigers already have them filled for the next couple of seasons?
Marquee players can't be signed from another Prem club so Manu will be falling under the noose if he has signed for Sale.
Does that apply to several seasons down the line?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:46 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:33 pm

I suspect Sale were able to offer a marquee slot at some point beyond this season. Maybe part of the problem is Tigers already have them filled for the next couple of seasons?
Marquee players can't be signed from another Prem club so Manu will be falling under the noose if he has signed for Sale.
Current rules are that he'd have to be a Sale player for 2 full salary cap years prior to being made a marquee player. So that would be the 2022/23 season when Manu could be a marquee player for them. Those rules might be altered though with the cap coming down and moving to one marquee player instead of two.

This is a different discussion really but I dislike the marquee system and hope it goes completely. It's played a significant role in driving the wage inflation in the Premiership.

Take Wasps for example. Beale and Piutau sign for huge money. Launchbury justifiably turns around and asks why am I earning of quarter of them, I want my salary doubled. Then a squad player such as James Gaskell thinks why am I on pennies when I play a lot more for Waps than Joe whilst he's away earning £25k an appearance for England. Before we know it there are run of mill Premiership squad players earning more than guys like Tindall did whilst captaining England.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:33 am

Current rules are that he'd have to be a Sale player for 2 full salary cap years prior to being made a marquee player. So that would be the 2022/23 season when Manu could be a marquee player for them. Those rules might be altered though with the cap coming down and moving to one marquee player instead of two.

This is a different discussion really but I dislike the marquee system and hope it goes completely. It's played a significant role in driving the wage inflation in the Premiership.

Take Wasps for example. Beale and Piutau sign for huge money. Launchbury justifiably turns around and asks why am I earning of quarter of them, I want my salary doubled. Then a squad player such as James Gaskell thinks why am I on pennies when I play a lot more for Waps than Joe whilst he's away earning £25k an appearance for England. Before we know it there are run of mill Premiership squad players earning more than guys like Tindall did whilst captaining England.
Maybe that is part of the deal? Last the first two years, year 3 he’s back as a marquee? I’m guessing it would have been around then anyway as you’d expect most clubs to know their marquees a season or two ahead at least.

Guessing our are probably decided up to the start of 2022.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Daily mail has some interesting news
Rokoduguni and Faleteau both not signed new contracts just yet.
Mercer was hesitate but believe teammates going to his house at 10pm before the deadline day convinced him.
Also mentions Ibitoye leaving quins potentially.

Plus, Irish, Worcester and Gloucester struggling to keep players.
"Clubs have taken a further hit in their support staff, including significant redundancies in the marketing and communication teams at Gloucester and London Irish"

Gloucester looking at a trying to sign Walduck from Newcastle.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:18 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:33 am

Maybe that is part of the deal? Last the first two years, year 3 he’s back as a marquee? I’m guessing it would have been around then anyway as you’d expect most clubs to know their marquees a season or two ahead at least.

Guessing our are probably decided up to the start of 2022.
As there will only be one marquee from 2022/23 so Manu would be their only marquee in those circumstances. I love watching Manu play but Faf has got to be their most important player to keep going forward and he will be expecting similar wages to Manu. Lood de Jager is yet to feature for Sale but he will also be on top end wages.

I think Manu is targeting another Lions tour then he will asses how his body coping with international rugby.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:14 pm Daily mail has some interesting news
Rokoduguni and Faleteau both not signed new contracts just yet.
Mercer was hesitate but believe teammates going to his house at 10pm before the deadline day convinced him.
Also mentions Ibitoye leaving quins potentially.

Plus, Irish, Worcester and Gloucester struggling to keep players.
"Clubs have taken a further hit in their support staff, including significant redundancies in the marketing and communication teams at Gloucester and London Irish"

Gloucester looking at a trying to sign Walduck from Newcastle.
Rokoduguni would fit Tigers very well with Veainu and May having both left. Roko and Nadolo would offer power from the wing we haven't had for a long time.

Ibitoye to France rumours have been around for a while with nothing being confirmed either way. Maybe Jones has had a word in his ear...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Makes sense for Ibitoye. His chances with England aren't great with May, Watson etc in their prime and the likes of Cokanasiga ahead of him, so take 2 years in France on a higher wage than Quins will pay, enjoy the sun and come back to push for international honours.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Mulipola has signed for Glaws!
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

fentiger wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pm Mulipola has signed for Glaws!
Only a short term till the end of the current season though...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fentiger wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:21 pm Mulipola has signed for Glaws!
Mrs G will be gutted. :smt005
However if it is prior to returning home to us..... :smt002
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Coventry leavers
James Gibbons (Ealing Trailfinders), Scott Russell, Will Flinn (both Hartpury), Heath Stevens (retiring to become Defence Coach at Cambridge), David Halaifonua (London Scottish), Ben Adams (Cambridge) and David Langley (Birmingham Moseley) have all been announced by their new clubs.

Other players to be leaving at the end of July are Gerard Ellis, Scott Tolmie, Darren Dawidiuk, Gareth Denman, James Voss, George Oram, Jack Ram, Luke Wallace, Tom Kessell and Max Trimble.

Junior Bulumakau is out of contract, but the club continues to work with the winger while he rehabs from his long-term knee injury.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I hope James Voss gets another Championship contract. He couldn't make an impression whilst training with the senior squad here but he is a talented lock.

We could do worse than sign Luke Wallace as back row cover until the end of the postponed season at least.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:49 pm I hope James Voss gets another Championship contract. He couldn't make an impression whilst training with the senior squad here but he is a talented lock.

We could do worse than sign Luke Wallace as back row cover until the end of the postponed season at least.
I'm surprised he ever ended up in the Championship really. Good openside. Given our conveyor belt of opensides I'd not be that fussed about signing him long term. I'd rather give the development lads game time in the remaining games rather than sign experience in the short term. There's what four or five games? We need to see Reffell, Lewis, Gough, T Smith and Lavin trying to make the selection decisions hard and they can't do that if we don't give them a chance.

Those that put their hand up can flesh out the squad for next season and those that don't can go down to the Championship for further game time to continue their development.