Manu Tuilagi

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu Tuilagi

Post by Rykard »

I read somewhere the deal is only for next season (lions) then he is off to Japan, i this is the case then it wouldn't have fitted with Tigers' new rebuilding plan as it looks like they have a 2-3 year plan. If this is the cse then there really isn't any bad on either side, they just have different goals.
cheers
Rich
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rykard wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:53 am I read somewhere the deal is only for next season (lions) then he is off to Japan, i this is the case then it wouldn't have fitted with Tigers' new rebuilding plan as it looks like they have a 2-3 year plan. If this is the cse then there really isn't any bad on either side, they just have different goals.
Would also link in with Jan's comments about certain players not being here at the end of next season anyway
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Just to clarify - as I nearly got the wrong end of the stick speed reading this - Fereti is threatening to sue The Rugby Paper and not Tigers. I can’t imagine/ really hope it’s not actually the club who is being quoted. They appeared via Andrea’s interview to be dead against this sort of stuff. And anyway if you read the ‘source’ it does not suggest Manu ‘begged’ at all. That is really a low blow and very poor headline writing.
Last edited by MCC1964 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I honestly don’t think Manu would want to leave Tigers in a contentious manner but he has got caught up in the way Freddie as an agents deals with things, which he will believe is in his player’s best interests.
Like many others I didn’t want Tigers to renew his contract last time as I never really believed it set a good example for all the younger players.
Manu really does “owe’ the club as it has protected him as a youngster and through careful management allow his reputation and England career to be rebuilt. The fans have been very tolerant with Manu because as season ticket holders Manu has rarely played in the last few seasons.
Hopefully this whole episode can be put to bed and I think Freddie needs to be realist about the financial plight of many clubs here and elsewhere or he might have a situation where no one wants to sign his players: this includes France and Japan!
Well done to the Tigers’ players who have signed extended deals. Brilliant.
The two Youngs’ brothers have been outstanding in their attitude.
Again, good luck Manu. Play well for England but hopefully not against us!,
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Firstly Manu has been a good servant and a crowd favourite during his time here.
Freddie has always negociated hard for Manu and believes he is worth his weight in gold.
Tigers have kept his career going ( and pay) through several injuries and got him back to international class.

Has Manu /Freddie over calculated his worth in today's economic environment.?
Has Manu/Freddie got what he believes he is worth including another year Internationally?
If this is true then good luck - it has worked for them both.
If not - then why the recriminations (if believed ) against Tigers - who have been open ( as we believe )with all in negociations?
Apparently the baby is out with the bath water./Toys are out of the pram.
If its a done deal with SALE Sharks, have been at work. Well done Steve D. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall.
Am I sad he's gone - not really. He hasn't really been in his straps since groin injury and seamed to be absent in a few games.
I'm sure he will play wherever he goes - for how long before getting injured and international duty who knows.
Will he get on the Wall of Greats - debatable :smt039 :smt039
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:23 pm Just to clarify - as I nearly got the wrong end of the stick speed reading this - Fereti is threatening to sue The Rugby Paper and not Tigers. I can’t imagine/ really hope it’s not actually the club who is being quoted. They appeared via Andrea’s interview to be dead against this sort of stuff. And anyway if you read them source’ it does not suggest Manu ‘begged’ at all. That is really a low blow and very poor headline writing.
That is certainly the way it read on twitter
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Can you just imagine the fall out.

Sale players, we need you to take X pay cut over the next X period in order to save the club.

Players sign, with much encouragement.

Less than two weeks later you sign one of the most expensive players in the league.

If I was one of those who compromised my earnings/circumstances I would be very upset with the team. I also wouldn't want to have much to do with that player walking in.

Could get very interesting...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

speedski wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:13 pm Can you just imagine the fall out.

Sale players, we need you to take X pay cut over the next X period in order to save the club.

Less than two weeks later you sign one of the most expensive players in the league.

If I was one of those who compromised my earnings/circumstances I would be very upset with the team. I also wouldn't want to have much to do with that player walking in.

I assume (perhaps wrongly) he's on a 25% cut from his usual demands but got the one year contract he wanted. Regardless, I suspect you're right, it would certainly irritate me. They aren't short on centres so he is very much a luxury signing. If they can afford him, why couldn't they afford the existing team's salaries?

Just imagine if you're the player who loses his place to Manu, AND you've taken a pay cut so the club can afford him.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Just the sort of ill-feeling that could linger and flare up in the event of Manu getting injured, suspended or losing form. Stranger things have happened in his career to date.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wherever he signs other players may be completely fine with it, especially if it improves the chances of a shared win bonus.
Signing any player is a risk, it's a risky game.
The grass isn't always greener but sometimes it is.
I'm intreagued at this quoted source.
Someone is playing silly...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'd be interested to see what the fallout is for us at Tigers, I see Nadolo retweeted Freddie's tweet, really hope this hasn't unsettled him and his arrival...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:32 pm

I assume (perhaps wrongly) he's on a 25% cut from his usual demands but got the one year contract he wanted. Regardless, I suspect you're right, it would certainly irritate me. They aren't short on centres so he is very much a luxury signing. If they can afford him, why couldn't they afford the existing team's salaries?

Just imagine if you're the player who loses his place to Manu, AND you've taken a pay cut so the club can afford him.
I doubt any players will be annoyed. This is professional sport. There will be players at Sale that are on as much or not more than Manu. And he's the current starting England 13 and a shoe in for the Lions if he keeps his form.

It's no different than asking current players for a pay cut but signing Enever etc
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:18 pm I'd be interested to see what the fallout is for us at Tigers, I see Nadolo retweeted Freddie's tweet, really hope this hasn't unsettled him and his arrival...
Nadolo is in the country and his quarantine ends tomorrow.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:00 pm

I doubt any players will be annoyed. This is professional sport. There will be players at Sale that are on as much or not more than Manu. And he's the current starting England 13 and a shoe in for the Lions if he keeps his form.

It's no different than asking current players for a pay cut but signing Enever etc
You may well be right, but there are two differences between Manu to Sale and Enever to Tigers:

1) Enever is undoubtedly a lot cheaper
2) Tigers needed a lock to replace Spencer, Sale do not have a first choice centre departing

It's one thing to make a planned move to replace someone who has left, it's another to splash out on a player you don't need on the spur of the moment.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:00 pm

Sorry but there is a huge difference, all of Tigers signings will have been brought in to replace departing players and I seriously doubt any of the incoming players will be on more than those they replaced, when you consider the likely wages May, TPN, Spencer were on etc.
Secondly Manu was reportedly on £600k, and asked to take a 25% cut down to around £450k, which he rejected therefore will have signed for Sale for more. Other than their 2 marquee players, at a guess Faff and another South African no other Sale players will be on anywhere the money Manu is demanding