LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by RagingBull »

Also to not take advantage of the potential contract mess.

Glad I don’t have to edit the squad list just yet.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Episode 3 The revenge of the Contracts.

Post by TheTigerKing »

Good news.

That frees up significant levels of cap space in order to find replacements.

I assume we will signings in the next couple of days to fill some holes and then await the fallout, worldwide, before snagging some High profile players, possibly for next season whenever that starts.

It also takes away all distraction. Thanks in particular to Bateman and Manu for their service but time to move on.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Some clarity at least, surely the Taufua thing needs sorting one way or another asap for both parties.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wormus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:36 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm PLEASE tell me there is no truth in the rumour that Taufua is off to Exeter, we have lost far too many good players to them
I too hope this is not true!
https://www.ruck.co.uk/rumour-leicester ... er-switch/ :smt022 :smt013
Exeter is an interesting one, first thing is there is nothing we can do about it, and also it is going to be a season or 2 before we are challenging for league titles, so as another poster put better there.
Their first choice centres, when fit will be Devoto and Slade, I’m not aware they have much depth outside those 2 except Whitten, so, playing wise he could fit, financially different story. Assuming their marquee is tied up with Richie Grays arrival, the money he will want would have to come from within their budget, which must be already allocated.
If the signing was Manu why are they delaying it for 2 weeks, unless as he is known as Chief, he’s going to be the new mascot.
For me the most sense comes from him going to Japan, and Exeter’s signing being an All Black, as their mini season will be about over by then
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:55 am Some clarity at least, surely the Taufua thing needs sorting one way or another asap for both parties.
I’m sure both parties feel that way too, but as the statement says it’s ongoing and remains confidential
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I can’t imagine any club in the premiership having spare cap to bring in Manu, especially Exeter. He’ll quickly be off to France or Japan.

The Huw Jones rumours are interesting, could be a very good piece of business with him and Scott in the centres.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 am I can’t imagine any club in the premiership having spare cap to bring in Manu, especially Exeter. He’ll quickly be off to France or Japan.

The Huw Jones rumours are interesting, could be a very good piece of business with him and Scott in the centres.
:smt023 Don’t really get the negativity all rugby players have injuries, just think it’s some posters default setting
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:05 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:55 am Some clarity at least, surely the Taufua thing needs sorting one way or another asap for both parties.
I’m sure both parties feel that way too, but as the statement says it’s ongoing and remains confidential
In some ways I'm quite glad I'm not hearing anything about it, as annoying as not knowing is, it means that the leaks (wherever they came from) have stopped and that is a good thing
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:20 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:05 am
In some ways I'm quite glad I'm not hearing anything about it, as annoying as not knowing is, it means that the leaks (wherever they came from) have stopped and that is a good thing
Agreed, it does appear that the whole thing has been put to bed, and although we don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors, all this talk of law suits etc was just journalistic hype
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

TheTigerKing wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:44 am ...

That frees up significant levels of cap space in order to find replacements.
Would any compensation levied by the courts come within the salary cap?
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 am I can’t imagine any club in the premiership having spare cap to bring in Manu, especially Exeter. ...
A lower salary from Exeter and a top up from a contractual claim against Tigers might be enough.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

BigChris wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:24 am Did I imagine it or was there talk of a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ between prem clubs not to sign each others players under contract negotiations as a result of Covid? I appreciate it isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on, but clubs seem to be holding to it? (At the moment).
McGinity said as much on the Rugby Pod with Goodey/Big Jim that there was an "agreement". His views on squad size was also interesting. I'm pretty sure he said that he could see the day where squad sizes were 30 first team (2 players in each position) and beyond that, the Academy/Development squad would be utilised.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TomWeston wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:45 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 am I can’t imagine any club in the premiership having spare cap to bring in Manu, especially Exeter. ...
A lower salary from Exeter and a top up from a contractual claim against Tigers might be enough.
People say this like it’s an easy process. It could take 12-24 months, significant legal costs and there is no guarantee of actually winning. Manu is probably better just moving on and taking a massive packet in France or Japan without the hassle.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

[/quote]
His views on squad size was also interesting. I'm pretty sure he said that he could see the day where squad sizes were 30 first team (2 players in each position) and beyond that, the Academy/Development squad would be utilised.
[/quote]

I think that has real potential provided that clubs are also allowed to fill positions that arise from long injury (say, 8 weeks or more).
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:04 am
wormus wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:36 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:19 pm PLEASE tell me there is no truth in the rumour that Taufua is off to Exeter, we have lost far too many good players to them
I too hope this is not true!
https://www.ruck.co.uk/rumour-leicester ... er-switch/ :smt022 :smt013
Exeter is an interesting one, first thing is there is nothing we can do about it, and also it is going to be a season or 2 before we are challenging for league titles, so as another poster put better there.
Their first choice centres, when fit will be Devoto and Slade, I’m not aware they have much depth outside those 2 except Whitten, so, playing wise he could fit, financially different story. Assuming their marquee is tied up with Richie Grays arrival, the money he will want would have to come from within their budget, which must be already allocated.
If the signing was Manu why are they delaying it for 2 weeks, unless as he is known as Chief, he’s going to be the new mascot.
For me the most sense comes from him going to Japan, and Exeter’s signing being an All Black, as their mini season will be about over by then
It's Jonny Gray not Richie, Mark. :smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni