Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by kk20gb30 »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:54 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:14 pm It's never as easy as the papers are making it out to be for getting damages for contract breaks. A lot of times the payout is "Nominal"

Most of what's been written in the press most likely has come from the same sports lawyer who is just trying to make something from it. Espcially in the rugby side of things where this doesn't happen often every wannabe sports lawyer will be updating their blog about it with little knowledge of what is in the contracts in the first place.
Agreed. My experience of this stuff and I am not a lawyer, but I suspect like most contributors on here I've had experience of the law and employment issues over the years, is that the legal judgements is normally determined around the concept of 'reasonableness' and 'process'. Not the precise letter of a contract.

Did Tigers act reasonably? That is about acting in the greater good. In this case that is in ensuring that employees have jobs to go to in the future. If the board had done nothing, but tried to keep to the agreed contracts Tigers would go bust. Then there would be issues around any process, which is often where it does wrong. But if there is a force majeure clause in contracts (and it would be incredibly if there wasn't) then the impact of Covid would fall into that category.However I have no idea if professional sports contracts fall into some special category - and so fully accept what I've just written could be completely irrelevant in this context. In which case I apologise to y'all!!

Most of us have no idea if professional sports contracts fall into some special category but that doesn't stop us adding our two-penneth worth , so please feel free to continue ...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:14 pm It's never as easy as the papers are making it out to be for getting damages for contract breaks. A lot of times the payout is "Nominal"

Most of what's been written in the press most likely has come from the same sports lawyer who is just trying to make something from it. Espcially in the rugby side of things where this doesn't happen often every wannabe sports lawyer will be updating their blog about it with little knowledge of what is in the contracts in the first place.
Agreed. My experience of this stuff and I am not a lawyer, but I suspect like most contributors on here I've had experience of the law and employment issues over the years, is that the legal judgements is normally determined around the concept of 'reasonableness' and 'process'. Not the precise letter of a contract.

Did Tigers act reasonably? That is about acting in the greater good. In this case that is in ensuring that employees have jobs to go to in the future. If the board had done nothing, but tried to keep to the agreed contracts Tigers would go bust. Then there would be issues around any process, which is often where it does wrong. But if there is a force majeure clause in contracts (and it would be incredibly if there wasn't) then the impact of Covid would fall into that category.However I have no idea if professional sports contracts fall into some special category - and so fully accept what I've just written could be completely irrelevant in this context. In which case I apologise to y'all!!
Reasonableness is irrelevant. The issue is what is the club obliged to pay in salary and for how long and what are the obligations of the respective parties. Force majeure can only be relevant while the season is suspended and not in relation to future obligations and may well not apply anyway. I don’t need to see these particular contracts to know that there is never ever ever a clause in such a contract allowing the paying party to be entitled to renegotiate based on impecuniosity.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So Fissler saying we have had talks with Nick Abendanon
Also that London Irish are set to be the next club to have it's stars revolt.
But they don't have a deadline yet and as many as 10 players could leave.

Have to say I'm glad the deadline was set could you imagine a month of this?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Abendanon makes perfect sense to me!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:52 am Abendanon makes perfect sense to me!
Certainly in a stop-gap role. I presume Veainu had a year to run on his contract, so bringing in a player like Abendanon to bring experience for a year or so makes perfect sense to work alongside Worth/Steward/Olowofela etc.

This would allow McGinity a few more months to scour for any longer-term replacement, whilst taking a bit of pressure off the youngsters.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Johnnyg wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Reasonableness is irrelevant. The issue is what is the club obliged to pay in salary and for how long and what are the obligations of the respective parties. Force majeure can only be relevant while the season is suspended and not in relation to future obligations and may well not apply anyway. I don’t need to see these particular contracts to know that there is never ever ever a clause in such a contract allowing the paying party to be entitled to renegotiate based on impecuniosity.
Thanks. As I said above I am not a lawyer and so I have only had experience of employment issues within businesses I'm involved with and none have been connected to professional sport. However I do have direct experience of companies I've been involved with as a Non-Exec invoking salary cut. The companies were taken to tribunal, sued for constructive dismissal, and on every occasion the complainants lost on the grounds described above, in one case even though the tribunal found the company had not applied its own policies when making the cuts. This was post financial crash. So my question is, what is it precisely in the nature of a sports contract held by the famous 5 (6) that makes them different. Genuine question. I know I don't know, and it is clear that experts in the legal profession are going public saying that they will have a claim. What's the exact difference?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/sorry-ed ... -contract/

It looks like Sotutu is a definitive no then, fingers crossed we keep JT...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:52 am Abendanon makes perfect sense to me!
At least he wouldn't immediately have to worry about any Tuilagis :smt023 :smt003 #speedbump
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

Traveller wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 am

Thanks. As I said above I am not a lawyer and so I have only had experience of employment issues within businesses I'm involved with and none have been connected to professional sport. However I do have direct experience of companies I've been involved with as a Non-Exec invoking salary cut. The companies were taken to tribunal, sued for constructive dismissal, and on every occasion the complainants lost on the grounds described above, in one case even though the tribunal found the company had not applied its own policies when making the cuts. This was post financial crash. So my question is, what is it precisely in the nature of a sports contract held by the famous 5 (6) that makes them different. Genuine question. I know I don't know, and it is clear that experts in the legal profession are going public saying that they will have a claim. What's the exact difference?
I think the difference here and where Tigers are vulnerable is that the only reason the players are being stood down (if what we read is correct) is because they refuse to agree less advantageous contract terms. For most employees if you get paid for not working you’re not at a huge disadvantage, but for a professional sportsman with a very short career and huge collateral benefits attached to the club career (international caps with £25k per match fees, sponsorship deals etc) being stood down can wreck a career. I’m not saying this is clear cut, but it’s not like a standard employment contract where merely paying someone is sometimes enough to avoid constructive dismissal arguments.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Just a thought or two....

Is it still possible to be stood down and then put into furlough? This would pay up to £2500 a month which one assumes is lower than the "5s" current income. This forcing the 5 out so they don't hold out into their current contract too long?

The 15 contracts to be announced will be those above the "threshold"stated
by Andrea on lttv, the one which protects the lower income members of the squad?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Traveller wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 am

I'm sure Johnnyg is right about Tigers being liable for the players' remaining contractual payments - unless the players ask to be released so they can join another club. As soon as they do that the contract is terminated.

If the players decide to remain but are still stood down, the club must continue to pay them their full contractual salary - if they don't, they are in breach of contract and the player can walk away and claim damages. I may be wrong, but I suspect the difference here is that players have fixed term contracts, which are unusual in employment law.

Unless contracted there is no right to be allowed to train or be selected - the club pays a wage, the player makes himself available to to train and play at the club's discretion, simple as that. Individual sponsorship earnings, international earnings and future career earnings are not the responsibility of the current employer - unless specifically contracted, which would be utterly ridiculous. In fact, it is far more likely that the contracts include clauses protecting the club's right to select or train players as it sees fit. Can you imagine the future if it were otherwise? Player sues club because he wasn't picked enough or involved in training enough and claims it has harmed his future/sponsorship/international earning potential. No.
by glenn » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:07 am

Just a thought or two....

Is it still possible to be stood down and then put into furlough? This would pay up to £2500 a month which one assumes is lower than the "5s" current income. This forcing the 5 out so they don't hold out into their current contract too long?

The 15 contracts to be announced will be those above the "threshold"stated
by Andrea on lttv, the one which protects the lower income members of the squad?
Very possible, not sure it would play well from a PR point of view though. There is also the possibility that the contracts have a provision for being laid off or placed on short time working - but I would think that is incredibly unlikely to be the case for professional sports contracts.
glenn

Post by glenn »

I also wonder if any.... Such as Greg might be on a pay as you play deal, or similar. Something might have been offered say a base rate per month then £n when they play. This.Might not sit right with the players who have been stood down. Especially someone like Eastmond who has been injured alot
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Surely there have been many eg's of players wanting to be guaranteed a1st team, 1st choice place, and the club saying No, we can't guarantee that so for whatever reason we will not pick you unless you deserve it. Players not liking that have to leave. The club in making that decision and telling a player that they will not be playing or training but will be paid are not breaking any part of a player's contract. I just don't believe that a contract will say that they have to be allowed to train with a particular group of players or that they are guaranteed a place on the team. If it does then I am totally wrong in my opinion.
Hehehehehehehehe
jauzy19
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by jauzy19 »

Jerónimo de la Fuente is a recent new follower of Leicester Tigers on instagram.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

glenn wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:07 am Just a thought or two....

Is it still possible to be stood down and then put into furlough? This would pay up to £2500 a month which one assumes is lower than the "5s" current income. This forcing the 5 out so they don't hold out into their current contract too long
I do not believe that Furlough is open to new registrations. My employers had to decide by 10th June if any further staff were to go on furlough.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk