LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by TigerMac3 »

A few positives to take from the LTTV interview.

Taufua still 50/50? Would have thought that he would of been one of the two that Geordy mentioned he'd heard 'had already signed contract's in France'; however, I thought he came across pretty confident about the idea of keeping Taufua - at least for another year. That being said, coincidence that Taufua posted an interview on his instagram account today seemingly 'showcasing' his availability...

I'm confused around the 15 re-signings comment. Are these 'new' additions? Surely, as per the AP interview in the week, if these were re-signings, it would be a larger number than 15, given that she said that the rest of the first team squad had agreed to the 25% (+12.5%) reductions?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerMac3 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 pm A few positives to take from the LTTV interview.

Taufua still 50/50? Would have thought that he would of been one of the two that Geordy mentioned he'd heard 'had already signed contract's in France'; however, I thought he came across pretty confident about the idea of keeping Taufua - at least for another year. That being said, coincidence that Taufua posted an interview on his instagram account today seemingly 'showcasing' his availability...

I'm confused around the 15 re-signings comment. Are these 'new' additions? Surely, as per the AP interview in the week, if these were re-signings, it would be a larger number than 15, given that she said that the rest of the first team squad had agreed to the 25% (+12.5%) reductions?
Might mean players who have signed completely new contract for example lengths etc.
Whereas others might be same length but just reduced wage
Thats how i'm potentially thinking.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:20 pm Hehehehehehe - got censored and quite right too - The other interesting end to GM's interview was that he has "heard that 2 of the 5 have had offers from France" but didn't say which ones the rumours were about
Veainu will be one nailed on and Reid would be where my money is on the other.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:38 pm
trendylfj wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:20 pm Hehehehehehe - got censored and quite right too - The other interesting end to GM's interview was that he has "heard that 2 of the 5 have had offers from France" but didn't say which ones the rumours were about
Veainu will be one nailed on and Reid would be where my money is on the other.
TV definitely one, I think Reid will head back to Ireland, I'm guessing Bateman has signed for a French club.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 pm
anz3001 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:20 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:44 pm

They are in a business where the club will drop them like a stone the next time a contract renewal comes round if their form has dropped.

Loyalty has no place in professional sport like it or not.
Not really true in Manu's case though, they didn't drop him when he was in trouble with the police, nor immigration, nor injured for significant successive periods.
Because he's an asset to the club, no other reason. It shows just how valuable he is. Let's not pretend that club didn't factor in the bad press he was getting at the time or the injury lay offs.

And bringing up incidents from years ago isn't really relevant. We were winning titles then as well not scraping the barrel with terrible rugby. It works both ways...
I accept that it works both ways, thats kind of the point. When Manu was not looking so great he didn't get dropped, because he was/is an asset and we had faith there would be better times ahead. Now Tigers aren't looking great and Manu is being asked to put some faith in better times ahead......
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

The ray of light for me from LTTV was to hear a new signing (Matt Scott) referring to the future of the club, not just the immense history.

Thought Smurf looked a lot better as well.

Fingers crossed.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:45 pm I accept that it works both ways, thats kind of the point. When Manu was not looking so great he didn't get dropped, because he was/is an asset and we had faith there would be better times ahead. Now Tigers aren't looking great and Manu is being asked to put some faith in better times ahead......
Except that Manu has repaid that faith by pulling in fans and selling shirts while he's been here, case closed.

What better times? When was the last time we made profit? Offering a chance to make money back in the future is frankly ridiculous when the whole sport looks like it might go under.

I should be clear, I don't blame the club or the players. But it seems like most people think Manu has forced the club to pay him his high salary, not because that's what the rest of the rugby world thinks he is worth.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Fantastic news that Taufua is maybe staying. He's a huge plus.

Manu is electrifying but injuries and international call ups have long left him less than value for money.

There's potentially over a million quid in salary cap available, and likely lots of players looking for new clubs over the coming months. If we can turn that into some solid options at 12, 15 and prop then I think we could be in a very good position.

Also liking the champ winger signings, good history of big championship try scorers stepping up well.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:01 pm
anz3001 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:45 pm I accept that it works both ways, thats kind of the point. When Manu was not looking so great he didn't get dropped, because he was/is an asset and we had faith there would be better times ahead. Now Tigers aren't looking great and Manu is being asked to put some faith in better times ahead......
Except that Manu has repaid that faith by pulling in fans and selling shirts while he's been here, case closed.

What better times? When was the last time we made profit? Offering a chance to make money back in the future is frankly ridiculous when the whole sport looks like it might go under.

I should be clear, I don't blame the club or the players. But it seems like most people think Manu has forced the club to pay him his high salary, not because that's what the rest of the rugby world thinks he is worth.
Who says he has repaid and the case is closed, what metric are you using to come to that conclusion? Unless you have some inside knowledge that's nothing more than your opinion.
My opinion isn't that Manu 'owes' Tigers anything, just pointing out that we didn't drop him at the first sign of a drop in form. Perhaps he has repaid, maybe time and again and this is the final straw, fair enough, I don't judge Manu because I have no idea what goes on day to day. However, I also don't believe Tigers have treat Manu like a piece of meat.

Anyway, perhaps this is for the other thread.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Was worth.

No player is worth today what they were in January on a long term contract. Notice just how many across the prem are all of a sudden being offered 1 year deals?...many is no different. Deals like Barrett’s in Japan could bring down the house of cards there too...
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

speedski wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Was worth.

No player is worth today what they were in January on a long term contract. Notice just how many across the prem are all of a sudden being offered 1 year deals?...many is no different. Deals like Barrett’s in Japan could bring down the house of cards there too...
I actually agree. My gripe is that Manu is being blamed for wanting to get the best deal possible.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Who says he has repaid and the case is closed, what metric are you using to come to that conclusion? Unless you have some inside knowledge that's nothing more than your opinion.
My opinion isn't that Manu 'owes' Tigers anything, just pointing out that we didn't drop him at the first sign of a drop in form. Perhaps he has repaid, maybe time and again and this is the final straw, fair enough, I don't judge Manu because I have no idea what goes on day to day. However, I also don't believe Tigers have treat Manu like a piece of meat.

Anyway, perhaps this is for the other thread.
I wasn't meaning to imply it was your opinion. I agree with all of this. My last comment will be that Tigers has milked him as much as possible commercially, as is their right, while he has been a Tigers player.

As above, my issue is with the general opinion of the thread that Manu is the bad guy just for treating the club as a business and his career as his main income!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Being honest at club rugby how much is a world class player a draw?
Is the attendance without Manu playing noticeable?
How many shirts was purchased because of it.

It isn't Football, and the players are not Messi.
Sad reality of our sport.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It definitely isn't.

But the club didn't throw money at Manu for a warm, happy feeling inside. It made commercial sense.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Anyway, moving away from Manu, it seems like Gigena should be due back once he can get his visa sorted.