LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:07 pm I wonder if Tuilagi is in line to replace the retiring Brad Barritt?
Doubt it with his groin on that pitch. Also can’t see him playing a season in the championship
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:12 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm
kend wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:24 pm
I thought the club had issued statements to the press saying the 5 (or is it 6?) players have 'left the club'. If so surely they can't still be under contract and paid? It would be some 'gardening leave' package if they were: presumably they have flown to Greece via Bulgaria and are negotiating new clubs from the beach.......
unless the club have paid up their contracts, which they cannot afford to or we wouldn't be talking pay cuts, the players are still under contract until they find a new club, if they do, unless the players are sacked for disciplinary reasons
They could have simply terminated the contracts and paid nothing, leaving the players the option of legal action - the gamble would be that by the time the players had got new contracts elsewhere, the loss of earnings that would need to be compensated for would be relatively low. In that scenario the player could probably claim for the difference between new contract and old Tigers contract, which is why it seems unlikely Tigers would have chosen that route.
it wouldn't be a gamble if they just sacked the players and stopped paying them then there is no doubt that there would be legal cases, the club would lose guaranteed.

It would also make the club look terrible and put players off from joining them
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 pm Over the past 4-5 seasons I would be surprised if Manu has averaged more than 10 games a season for Tigers which equates to £45k per game. IMO we would be far better served in recruiting a centre with no international commitments so that we are able to develop a game plan which does not solely involve using crash ball tactics at the expense of exploiting gaps behind opposing defences.
38 games started since start of 14/15 season - source S Barnes - The Times. Doesn’t include sub appearances.

To be fair 23 of those were 17/19 only 2 are 19/20
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 pm Over the past 4-5 seasons I would be surprised if Manu has averaged more than 10 games a season for Tigers which equates to £45k per game. IMO we would be far better served in recruiting a centre with no international commitments so that we are able to develop a game plan which does not solely involve using crash ball tactics at the expense of exploiting gaps behind opposing defences.
Agree and also think TV has been much less impactful since his jaw injury, almost seeming timid when going into contact...very understandable. So overall I dont think we will miss them and I am very happy to build around those who want to be here, with some well chosen additions with the money freed up if that is possible. I think Taufua leaving would be a miss based on what we have seen, but (and I stand to be corrected) even then I seem to recall his appearances were few due to injuries; I just wonder whether he would be a bit like Tuilagi.
So, on balance I am ok about the departures. My only worry, and I mean this, is whether we are liable for any legacy payments or litigation which would negate the benefits of letting the players go; one hopes good advice taken early was the order of the day.
As Good As It Gets
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

rdracup wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:28 pm
38 games started since start of 14/15 season - source S Barnes - The Times. Doesn’t include sub appearances.

To be fair 23 of those were 17/19 only 2 are 19/20
57 appearances for Tigers over same period, Tigers website doesn't differentiate starts or otherwise. Scored 17 tries in that period. 0.29 tries per game.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:25 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm

unless the club have paid up their contracts, which they cannot afford to or we wouldn't be talking pay cuts, the players are still under contract until they find a new club, if they do, unless the players are sacked for disciplinary reasons
They could have simply terminated the contracts and paid nothing, leaving the players the option of legal action - the gamble would be that by the time the players had got new contracts elsewhere, the loss of earnings that would need to be compensated for would be relatively low. In that scenario the player could probably claim for the difference between new contract and old Tigers contract, which is why it seems unlikely Tigers would have chosen that route.
it wouldn't be a gamble if they just sacked the players and stopped paying them then there is no doubt that there would be legal cases, the club would lose guaranteed.

The gamble isn't whether the club would lose or not, it's how much they would have to pay out.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:35 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:25 pm

The gamble isn't whether the club would lose or not, it's how much they would have to pay out.
at least the full value of the contracts plus legal costs
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Gutted to see TV and his dancing feet go. Equally if Taufua is also off. Manu less so - don’t get me wrong, he’s a terrific match winning player and exciting to watch but only in the (Very) limited times he’s been on the pitch for Tigers and even then, he’s not getting any younger and his previous habit of charging off the line to get the big smash and then missing seems to have also cost us. Though to be fair, he’s been more disciplined since spending time with England post injury. And it’s a big chunk of cash, even with 25% off, to get a younger version.

That said, I’m pretty non plussed overall about losing them if our talent spotting and recruitment for new players is back up to scratch. I’ve always thought the last few seasons has been a team that should be winning on paper but has underperformed due to poor recruitment, bad board level leadership and poor coaching. As such we’ve been beaten by teams that should not beat us on paper who have overperformed due to good recruitment, excellent board level leadership and fantastic coaching. That is changing and I am optimistic, particularly with the new coaching team.
Last edited by aslongaswebeatsaints on Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

also if the finances are as bad as stated why is the club no longer for sale? Or is Mr Tom worried about selling his shares at a lower price?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 pm also if the finances are as bad as stated why is the club no longer for sale? Or is Mr Tom worried about selling his shares at a lower price?
Depends who's offering! Some of us would cavil at UAE or similar money, especially the assassins and headchoppers of Saud. Maybe PT and the rest have a moral compass.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:57 pm also if the finances are as bad as stated why is the club no longer for sale? Or is Mr Tom worried about selling his shares at a lower price?
Depends who's offering! Some of us would cavil at UAE or similar money, especially the assassins and headchoppers of Saud. Maybe PT and the rest have a moral compass.
you can not sell to people like that whilst also still having the club up for sale
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Sad to say but Manu is no great loss, does he owe the club anything? , some might say yes.
For me it’s a fresh start a new chapter in this great club, players come and go, we will get past these difficult times.
As my old friend Bill W would say Keep the faith😀
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Manu would need to behave a little better in France if he ends up there, the club owners really dont like poor off the field behaviour that sullies the clubs name.
Unlike other players the security of a longer contract would never of worked with Manu as I am sure a big contract overseas was always the aim at the end of the current one with Tigers.
If Taufua does go that is the player we need to replace.
I hate to muddy the waters further, but the newcomers who aren't here yet are still coming I hope?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Help in understanding required please.

As I understand it 5 (6) players have been 'stood down' does this mean existing contracts are still in place?

Does this mean Club is still paying wages but not willing to train or select said players?

Players are able to talk to other clubs about new contracts?

Players talk to other Clubs but no one offers contracts, are players able to come back and
a) offer to sign present offer and continue training/ selection or
b) sit at home continue being paid and finish present contract (but with little chance of moving on due to fitness game time etc)

I think I know what I would do
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pm Help in understanding required please.

As I understand it 5 (6) players have been 'stood down' does this mean existing contracts are still in place?
Yes
Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pmDoes this mean Club is still paying wages but not willing to train or select said players?
Correct
Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pmPlayers are able to talk to other clubs about new contracts?
Yes
Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:05 pmPlayers talk to other Clubs but no one offers contracts, are players able to come back and
a) offer to sign present offer and continue training/ selection or
b) sit at home continue being paid and finish present contract (but with little chance of moving on due to fitness game time etc)

I think I know what I would do
They can't sign the newly offered contract anymore. Then can do b).