LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:09 am I'm going to start a new thread once all this is officially done with, and the players are off the squad page.
Dear Mr Bull

We don't always agree on everything. But that of course is what the forum is all about. However admire and appreciate your Stirling efforts to keep everyone up to date, and your insights, which are always well informed and measured. Thank you.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:18 am The objective of the interview was to provide clarity amidst the media speculation.

We've ended up with even more speculation and uncertainty about our marquee player.

Didn't quite hit the mark.
It did provide clarity. They clearly laid out the 5 players that were leaving (and I’m sure this is the 5 they know are leaving). The waters have been muddled by one comment on Facebook by a (disgruntled (?!)) employee. I don’t think Tigers should feel obliged to respond to that.

Possible Taufua has confided in TV that he wants to leave but I still think Veainu was trolling.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

So….trying to get my head around what - I think - I know (I may well be wrong!).

Leicester need to make cost saving in order to survive. We can only spend what we earn. We are a PLC and are not “owned” by anyone who is going to put money in, to pay players who cannot be supported by the business.

Almost all of the paid employees of the club (over a certain pay threshold) have accepted a pay reduction to help the club survive.

31 employees have – sadly – lost their jobs.

5 players currently under contract have chosen not to agree to new contracts that would reduce their pay by 25%.
They may – or may not – have been offered contract extensions to compensate for the reduction.

If they have been offered and extension – this might not fit in with their future plans (which might include going to France next year following a Lions Tour – say!).

Others may not have been offered an extension because they do not fit into Leicester’s long-term plans.

They are still “employed” under their original contract.

They will continue to be paid by the club until they cancel the contract.

They will not be invited to play or train with Leicester under their current contract.

They will not be able to play for anyone else whist under contract to Leicester.

Leicester cannot replace them (all) as their pay (probably c£1.5M) will still form part of the salary cap.

They cannot (Daily Mail) sign for another club and claim a salary “top up” from Leicester as to sign for someone else they have to “voluntarily” cancel their Leicester contract.

They have not been “let go” they have been “stood down” and allowed to look for an alternative employer. They will be paid until they do so.

They all have their individual circumstances to consider – so I would not want to criticise them for their decisions. They need to make the most of their short career, as a player, to provide for their families and themselves for the next 50 years. They are not all cut-out for the media or coaching or for high paying jobs in business. This may be their only chance to set-up their families for a comfortable life.

I wish them all the best of luck for the future.

I will continue to support the club - and the board – who I think are doing the best they can under extremely challenging circumstance.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

What was Manu rumoured to be on, £550k? :smt017 Pretty sure we would be able to pick up Kerevi, Kruindrani, Kriel or Am for £400k. Plenty of very good options at 13 out there which I’m sure McGinty is already on the case.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

TomWeston wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:57 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 am Guessing really , but based on various statements that The Club will spend upto the Salary Cap there will probably be further recruitment at some stage as a large amount of finance has just become available.Also , without question, players and options will be on the market.
Is that ‘large amount of finance’ pre- or post-claim settlements for breach of contract or to make up for low offers from other Premiership clubs who know Tigers will likely have to stump up the difference?
..really could not elaborate (I did initially state 'guessing' ).However taking into account circumstances, Leicesters potential legal position would not be something that The Club would overlook when making or taking this type of decision.Sorry to disappoint anyone , but ultimately I want a club to support.
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:05 am What was Manu rumoured to be on, £550k? :smt017 Pretty sure we would be able to pick up Kerevi, Kruindrani, Kriel or Am for £400k. Plenty of very good options at 13 out there which I’m sure McGinty is already on the case.
I'm sure you are right about that. But not his name. It's McGinity. He doesn't own a goat, as far as I am aware.

I'll get my coat....
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Could I just ask those posters who are constantly criticising the club for the way they have handled this to explain what they would like to have happened instead? I would be interested in hearing an alternative approach.

Playing it out in the press is not great but it has been determined that this wasn’t the club, so how would those criticising the approach have looked to repair the damage of losing £5 million and counting?

Anybody.........?
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Good summary. Only other negotiation point is the voluntary 25% cut in salary that preceded this.

Do players have a claim on it and could it be a lever on both sides to get a clean break so all parties can move on.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

rdracup wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:12 am Good summary. Only other negotiation point is the voluntary 25% cut in salary that preceded this.

Do players have a claim on it and could it be a lever on both sides to get a clean break so all parties can move on.
Well Foy reported in the Mail yesterdeay that the club didn't have a leg to stand on legally in that Manu, for example, could go to another Permiership club that could take him on a 'modest' contract whilst he claims the rest of his contract from us. I'm sure each party is fully aware of the various consequences of these actions.

I do really want to move on now, but I guess we're not done yet.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am Could I just ask those posters who are constantly criticising the club for the way they have handled this to explain what they would like to have happened instead? I would be interested in hearing an alternative approach.

Playing it out in the press is not great but it has been determined that this wasn’t the club, so how would those criticising the approach have looked to repair the damage of losing £5 million and counting?

Anybody.........?
Absolutely!
Top of my list of suspects for the original leak is a certain agent/agents employee, if it is indeed, he, then we can but hope he has received his comeuppance in the way of lost fees!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Is it me or does anyone not find it odd that the club hasn't put anything official about the leavers up yet?
It's been confirmed last night, so why isn't there a statement up like usual on the website?
Veainu is 100% leaving that is clear.
But wonder if the others are more 90% off still?

:smt017

IDK just find it odd.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am Is it me or does anyone not find it odd that the club hasn't put anything official about the leavers up yet?
It's been confirmed last night, so why isn't there a statement up like usual on the website?

IDK just find it odd.
I've wondered if there is still a way for some of them to say, I mean what happens if they leave but can't get a contract elsewhere like they thought they would? Is the door still open to them?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am Is it me or does anyone not find it odd that the club hasn't put anything official about the leavers up yet?

IDK just find it odd.
Who knows, still wouldn’t be surprised if we called Manu’s bluff and by the end of the week he still signs a new contract with us. I hope not and the club has a backbone to stand by its decision.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

:smt023
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:38 am
Scuttle wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am I think Fluffy is unlikely to be signed as his agent is I believe a certain Freddie T.....
Who is Fluffy please?
Mulipola
:smt023
As Good As It Gets
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 am
rdracup wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:12 am Good summary. Only other negotiation point is the voluntary 25% cut in salary that preceded this.

Well Foy reported in the Mail yesterdeay that the club didn't have a leg to stand on legally in that Manu, for example, could go to another Permiership club that could take him on a 'modest' contract whilst he claims the rest of his contract from us. I'm sure each party is fully aware of the various consequences of these actions.

I do really want to move on now, but I guess we're not done yet.
I am sure the club would have sought full legal advice before they began their wage saving plan to fully understand the full legal ramifications of what they were considering. I simply do not believe that if a player who has been stood down by the club (not sacked) then chooses to end his existing contract and sign a new one elsewhere that he can then sue his ex employer for breech of contract.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity