LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by sapajo »

Well it is what it is nothing we can do as supporters than hope that our great club can rebuild and return to winning ways .
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Until we actually get some proper confirmation it's all still rumours.

I would hope something will be said tomorrow, that's supposed to be Day 1 of the Brave New Dawn, the lack of genuine information is damaging to the club, not a great couple of days for Leicester.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 pm Until we actually get some proper confirmation it's all still rumours.

I would hope something will be said tomorrow, that's supposed to be Day 1 of the Brave New Dawn, the lack of genuine information is damaging to the club, not a great couple of days for Leicester.
Amen.

Of the 6 apparently unwilling to sign to new terms, it’s an interesting breakdown:

Reid and Eastmond: Two 12s who maybe haven’t lived up to expectations (theirs or ours or both?). Would have expected a bit more of Reid last year. He was ok, not a frontline kicker though. Possibly, with the unexpected arrival of Matt Scott, One or both looking for a way out of the club?

Taufua: mmm. Rumoured to be a marquee this (last season), so surely any new contract may be based around not being a marquee, so a lower version of an already lower salary. He’s had the big cheque, now it’s a smaller one other options possibly become far more attractive?

Bateman: a principled man, one who’s had a turbulent couple of years. Not sure. May want to relocate closer to family?

Veainu: Been very unlucky with injuries so club maybe wary of offering too much. Game changer but arguably less important on the priority list than Genge, Ford and Lavanini. Would be offered better cash elsewhere.

Tuilagi: Great business to keep him here last year. But can we do the same again? France could easily cover loss of England earnings, without necessarily the jeopardy of selection/missing out through injury.

As for the deadline, there’s obviously a finite amount of cash. We can’t wait for months. They’re unlikely to be offered more at the first stage until someone blinks at least (6 become 5, 4, or 3 etc).
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Taufua is the biggest disappointment for me. A player I thought we could build a team around.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Disappointing to see these players potentially leave, but that’s the nature of the current climate we find ourselves in. I do wonder what kind of deals they can expect to find elsewhere, when rugby is cutting its salaries globally (barring the odd bankrolled setup).

Time to be pragmatic, some will be not a great loss, and perhaps upgrades could actually be sought on contracts which fit better with the new world.
Some are bigger losses that the fans may find harder to take, but they are/were very well paid, and I suspect there will be a number of Southern Hemisphere or Pacific Islanders looking for deals as their own clubs/franchises have to make similar cuts, who may offer similar physicality and dynamism, but be more willing to take what Tigers can offer salary wise.

Bateman, Eastmond and Reid, I’d suggest could be covered for with a little more ease.
Tuilagi, Taufua and Veianu may be harder to replace, but equally they open up significant salary space to be able to go recruiting with.

The faces may change, but the club remains. This may just turn out to be a blessing in disguise, allowing Murphy and Borthwick an unexpected amount of cap to rejig the squad. Losing Eastmond and Reid takes our two more creative 12’s, and Veianu as an incisive 15, but could allow us to build a more dynamic 12/13 axis, with second receiver at 15, similar to how the All Blacks play with the likes of SBW, Laumape, Crotty, Gooodhue or Leinert-Brown in midfield and McKenzie or Barrett at 15, and Sarries with Barrett, Taylor or Bosch in midfield, and Goode at 15.
Upfront, has Mulipola got a deal yet? He could be ideal for a season or so with his ability (like Leatigaga) to play both sides. There must be an abundance of quality back row coming out of contract also.

I’m still puzzled how Tigers seem to be the only club that has apparently butchered this so publicly. Every other club seems to have made the changes required a lot more low key, and it would appear with more success. I’m discounting Gloucester, because some of their issues may be more coach related, following Ackerman etc.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 am
I’m still puzzled how Tigers seem to be the only club that has apparently butchered this so publicly. Every other club seems to have made the changes required a lot more low key, and it would appear with more success.
I think it was because, at a very early stage, someone took their grievances to the press. I don’t expect that it was one of the “publicly vocal” players either that people may initially suggest.

Possibly an agent of one or two of the players perhaps?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:37 pm So we are looking at for this season (So far)
1. Genge, Leatigaga, Whitcombe,
2. Youngs, Mamu, Kerr, Clare, Vanes
3. Cole, Heyes, Dimen, Rowntree
4. Lavanini, Wells, Martin, Manz
5. Enever, Green, Henderson, Chessum
6. Liebenberg, Lewis, Lavin, Ilione
7. Reffell, Gough
8. Brink, Coghlan, Smith, Ashworth
9. Youngs, White, Simmons, Law, JVP, Edwards
10. Ford, Henry, McPhilips
11. Nadolo, Aspland-Robinson
12. Scott, Hardwick, Glynn
13. Taute, Kelly
14. Potter, Olowofela, Browning
15. Steward, Worth

That's what it is sounding like currently.
Honestly thats a good first choice 23 in that team, on the whole Nadolo helps with the Manu loss a lot.

Really a prop, 2 back 3 players, a centre and a back row short in my eyes.
if those players go maybe Aled Walters to bring his mate Jesse Kriel.
1.Genge 2.Mamukashvili 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Enever 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Brink
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Taute 14.Olowofela 15.Steward

16.Youngs 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Lewis 21.White 22.Hardwick 23.Potter

In terms of finishing the current season (dead rubbers for Tigers) we'd need prop cover urgently. If Gigena's visa issues can be sorted that'd be ideal obviously. Perhaps a Championship signing (Heffernan/Betts?) or even an 18 month deal for Fluffy whilst Whitcombe develops.

Back row, back three and centre are also short but I'd be happy enough with recruitment there being aimed at the 2020/21 season.

Of the guys rumoured to be in disputes the ones I was most concerned about were Genge, Ford, Lavanini and Taufau. If 3 out of 4 have re-signed then there is quality there for Borthwick to work with. Taufua would be a huge loss though.

I'd miss watching Manu and Veainu a lot but both have had injury issues. Though Veainu on the wing again was something I wanted to see.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Longshanks wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:53 pm Here's a radical suggestion - 10% salary uplift for any player who agrees a contract while representing themselves (i.e. no agent, thereby also saving the player whatever cut an agent would have taken). I have a gut feeling that most, if not all of the recent shenanigans have come about through agents sticking their oars in rather than players themselves feeling something had to be done.
A good agent is worth a darn sight more than 10%. Especially to a relative youngster who would be relatively naive in certain hard-headed contractual situations.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

If we don't get anyone else to sign on, it's a blow but not as big as was being spoken about on Monday. Is our "starting" 23 good enough - yes. My worry comes with the internationals being away and injuries. Our second string aren't good enough - yet. It's been said many times, but would Sarries have won anything without Barrington, Wray and the like ? If we're hoping to bring through players, which would be great, it's going to take time......but we knew that.

There was no mention of Brink or Liebenburg being involved in this ?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Hopefully more revealed today.Ultimately , for me, the club need and want players who want to be here.It has been said a lot of times with regard to this issue over the last couple of days but the most important thing is actually having a club to support.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

It’s an unfortunate situation, in particular because in the case of Tigers it has attracted publicity and negative, sensationalist comment in the press, on this forum and I’m sure across social media.

To put it in perspective there are people across the UK and indeed the world who have had their lives thrown into turmoil by this pandemic. It has touched all aspects of life and individuals, families, Business, Governments will all have to reassess their situation as we move forward. The economic crisis to come is likely to see the closure and contraction of all types of business and the consequential loss of employment for millions of people.

So the circumstances at Tigers are a microcosm of the global situation. The ultimate goal must be to keep the business alive and that will mean difficult but decisive decisions need to be made. It is the right of every individual to make their own decisions based on their personal circumstances as it will be for people affected across all areas of society. Unfortunately many will have the decision made for them as their employer cuts back or closes altogether.

At Tigers we may not like or support the decisions being made by those with responsibility for running the business or the players affected, but don’t we have to accept that they are being made for the best interests of the club or by the individual based on their personal circumstances.

We have no idea if the decisions being made will save the club as the rise in COVID on our own doorstep has demonstrated that the future is far from certain. Who knows there might be another round of cuts to come.

There MUST be a Leicester Tigers in the future, so whatever it takes....
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 am Disappointing to see these players potentially leave, but that’s the nature of the curr
I’m still puzzled how Tigers seem to be the only club that has apparently butchered this so publicly. Every other club seems to have made the changes required a lot more low key, and it would appear with more success. I’m discounting Gloucester, because some of their issues may be more coach related, following Ackerman etc.
Because some one at Leicester - maybe be player / agent / employee - leaked something to the press which has brought this sensationalist rumour story to the forefront.

For all we know, Northampton may have had an absolute ****storm of negotiations behind the scenes, but nothing was leaked to the press. They then came out by releasing Gibson and then announcing 19 players staying.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:17 am It’s an unfortunate situation, in particular because in the case of Tigers it has attracted publicity and negative, sensationalist comment in the press, on this forum and I’m sure across social media.

To put it in perspective there are people across the UK and indeed the world who have had their lives thrown into turmoil by this pandemic. It has touched all aspects of life and individuals, families, Business, Governments will all have to reassess their situation as we move forward. The economic crisis to come is likely to see the closure and contraction of all types of business and the consequential loss of employment for millions of people.

So the circumstances at Tigers are a microcosm of the global situation. The ultimate goal must be to keep the business alive and that will mean difficult but decisive decisions need to be made. It is the right of every individual to make their own decisions based on their personal circumstances as it will be for people affected across all areas of society. Unfortunately many will have the decision made for them as their employer cuts back or closes altogether.

At Tigers we may not like or support the decisions being made by those with responsibility for running the business or the players affected, but don’t we have to accept that they are being made for the best interests of the club or by the individual based on their personal circumstances.

We have no idea if the decisions being made will save the club as the rise in COVID on our own doorstep has demonstrated that the future is far from certain. Who knows there might be another round of cuts to come.

There MUST be a Leicester Tigers in the future, so whatever it takes....
Given the blinkered attitude of some, good to read a post that contextualises. Posted on FB to remind one vociferous club-blamer that 70k people have died (according to FT and ONS) and there are still 100 a week dying. The club has to survive, no matter what.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=kk20gb30 post_id=744612 time=1593585824 user_id=11619]
Hopefully more revealed today.Ultimately , for me, the club need and want players who [i]want[/i] to be here.It has been said a lot of times with regard to this issue over the last couple of days but t[i]he most important thing is actually having a club to support.[/i]
[/quote]

Agreed - on both points!
The Club's twitter feed is busy already - showing Aled Walters and Matt Scott, both at training (wearing Kukri training gear still).
As you say, hopefully much more to come.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Coops wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:31 am
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:13 am Disappointing to see these players potentially leave, but that’s the nature of the curr
Because some one at Leicester - maybe be player / agent / employee - leaked something to the press which has brought this sensationalist rumour story to the forefront.

For all we know, Northampton may have had an absolute ****storm of negotiations behind the scenes, but nothing was leaked to the press. They then came out by releasing Gibson and then announcing 19 players staying.
And that is all it takes. I’m still very much in the camp that this has all been made public by a player/agent who felt it would add extra pressure to the club. IMO I can’t see any benefits to the club that this has been made public, plus Murphy assertions that they will announce things when they are good and ready.
Looking at the names that haven’t yet signed there is one player and one agent involved who have previous fighting their battles in public