LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by trendylfj »

GM has said on many occasions that we will and are spending up to the cap. Andrea has also confirmed that as well so I don't really understand what else the club can do - the cap has reduced and so there are only 2 choices - player's wages drop or we have fewer players. It seems that the management has chosen the first and in light of the marque rule being changed to one player there was always going to be some pain for the players - not saying it is right - just stating facts as I see them
Hehehehehehehehe
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm GM has said on many occasions that we will and are spending up to the cap. Andrea has also confirmed that as well so I don't really understand what else the club can do - the cap has reduced and so there are only 2 choices - player's wages drop or we have fewer players. It seems that the management has chosen the first and in light of the marque rule being changed to one player there was always going to be some pain for the players - not saying it is right - just stating facts as I see them
Any existing contracts can be honoured and when the cap drops in a years time they are discounted for salary cap purposes.
The salary cap is not why we "need" to agree reduced contracts right now. The players coming out of contract might well prefer taking 100% of this contract then seeing where the land lays when those contracts are up. They have the right to do that, and there is not a huge amount we can legally do if we cannot convince them otherwise.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 am Scouting around and I still cant see international player x,y,z contemplating leaving team a,b,c. I'll repeat again,why is it happening here and nowhere else,everybody is in the same predicament! Why are we in such dire straits compared to every other club?!
Leicester is a big supporters club and no support is currently allowed.
A combination of being in 11th place and the arrival of Covid-19 on top of an already inflated market partly created by Sarries and other clubs writing off losses has created a perfect storm.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am Well Borthwick is coming

https://twitter.com/englandrugby/status ... 48992?s=21
Some welcome news , at least. :smt023
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

BengalTiger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 am In all this talk of contacts, no one has pointed out that most contacts have a Force Majeure clause, I would assume Tigers will have activated this clause in all the players contracts that is how they can legally change the terms otherwise they are just whistling in the wind.
Tigers would have a very good argument that the current crisis qualifies as a Force Majeure, depending on the contract wording of course but so as long as they offer a reasonable new offer they would probably be in the clear to cancel all the current contracts.
Blimey. I wouldn't want to be in Borthwick's shoes taking over in this maelstrom. It's one thing triggering a Force Majeure clause on a supply chain, it is quite another to do so on your key playing assets.

The recent advice I have seen is English Law does not have the presumption of a right to renegotiation (even if they are included in the contract wording courts are reluctant to hold parties to an unspecified future event). The commercial realities might lead to a renegotiation but the normal contractual course of events is apparently suspension or termination. So invoking it is a pretty nuclear option on a supply relationship.

Of course the other threat the board could use is that of putting the club into administration.......
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Owen Hills announced as joining Nottingham
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:34 pm Owen Hills announced as joining Nottingham
Good to hear he's got another club. He looked a really good prospect before missing a lot of rugby. He will be competing with another former Tiger in Aniseko Sio for the loosehead shirt at Nottingham.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Sorry, but if only 75% of the salary of contracts already in place (signed by 18th June) count towards the new salary cap reduction, then there is no need to reduce current contracts. If a current contract is re-agreed today with a 25% wage cut, it will still take up as much of the cap after next season as the previous contract would have.

The only reason to reduce current contracts is if the club can't afford to pay them.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

:smt038
Scuttle wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 am Scouting around and I still cant see international player x,y,z contemplating leaving team a,b,c. I'll repeat again,why is it happening here and nowhere else,everybody is in the same predicament! Why are we in such dire straits compared to every other club?!
I think it is the club whipping us all into a frenzy, then at 5pm they will announce the signing of MacKenzie, Itoje and Allemano, and if I am being greedy 1 or 2 others linked to Tigers. Confident if wrong. :smt005
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tigers total wage bill must be close to £1000,000,00 per month plus National Insurance payments, with no income coming in any cash reserves are not going to last long, if major shareholder stump up a load of money to keep thing going then that will gain time but will not last long either. Players on the largest salaries are also the ones unavailable for large sections of the season, the cap spend limits us but so does income, at present we have no prospect of matches that we can stage with any hope of a profit, playing in front of a crowd of say only 30% capacity probably means actually increasing losses. Players have to negotiate for the good of our game and for the good of their team mates who are not star names and are unlikely to get big money offers from Japan or elsewhere.
Making a player redundant is not an option if we then need to sign a replacement in the near future.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Genge tweeting a picture of a croissant can't be a particularly good sign...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't know if I would read too much into that tweet.

Whilst these are serious talks Genge is also a massive troll.
Remember literally every rumour involving him, he has fanned the flames of it.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 pm I don't know if I would read too much into that tweet.

Whilst these are serious talks Genge is also a massive troll.
Remember literally every rumour involving him, he has fanned the flames of it.
Yup, probably just finished training and thought he'd stoke the fire.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

He's probably at pret a manger...
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm Making a player redundant is not an option if we then need to sign a replacement in the near future.
As I understand it the senior players are on fixed term playing contracts, so redundancy doesn't apply. The contracts can be summarily terminated for a material breach or gross misconduct, but otherwise club and player are contracted for the full term. Players can be released 'through mutual consent' to terminate the agreement (a cynic might say there is a form of 'constructive dismissal' where a club just doesn't play a player, they get bored and request to terminate their contract). The coaches (and, for that matter, the senior directors) will be on similar contracts.

As a previous poster pointed out, the club might have been wise enough to include a Force Majeure clause for pandemic.....