LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Scott1 »

One question, is this happening at every other club and if it isnt why us?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I hate to say it but Ford's house is on the market for what he paid for it - just under £1M
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

<mondaymorningrant>This could all end up going very badly in the court of public opinion - more so for the players who are well recompensed who are in this alleged stand off.

With thousands of people who are already out of work due to the impacts of covid-19 and with others, like me, who have their necks on the block for redundancy there will be little sympathy.

The club has to make cuts in salary but needs to keep a squad of similar size in order to keep players bodies safe. Either take the hit for the short term or get out of the kitchen. I'd rather have players who want to wear the shirt.

</mondaymorningrant>
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 am I hate to say it but Ford's house is on the market for what he paid for it - just under £1M
Which Ford - Mike, Joe or George?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 pm One question, is this happening at every other club and if it isnt why us?
I saw an interview recently with Genge on some programme or other featuring Haskell too. Asked about his alternative union to focus on contracts and pay, Genge said he didn't get much interest from players around the other teams so the idea seems to be withering on the vine. I wonder if it is a case of discontentent sown within the Tigers' camp which has grown with time, but which never got started in other camps so never gained any momentum.
As Good As It Gets
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RichieB wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:33 am
trendylfj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 am I hate to say it but Ford's house is on the market for what he paid for it - just under £1M
George - it went on the market mid june and was listed on rightmove 24 June - may be nothing but it always worries me when key players are selling
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:50 am
RichieB wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:33 am
George - it went on the market mid june and was listed on rightmove 24 June - may be nothing but it always worries me when key players are selling
He's one of the ones unlikely to move though. Which other English club is going to have spare cap space/resources for his hefty salary and if he moves abroad he misses out on his match fee for England which over the course of a season adds up to be quite hefty.

As RB points out players like Cole, Gigena, Lavanini can walk into very good French contracts with big spenders in the top 2 leagues. Then there's Japan as well.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It seems as though either we are under greater financial pressure or we have managed the negotiations less well than other clubs. I'm sure there are more complexities to it than either of those simple descriptions though.

Sale have announced 25% (?) cuts across the playing staff. I think I read that another club has agreed cuts of 12.5% for all playing staff.

I know a few other clubs have announced a lot of players leaving, but they look very much like the normal yearly churn rather than the kind of turmoil rumoured at Tigers. Gloucester and Wasps were allegedly in a similar situation a month ago, but that seems to have gone quiet.

What a mess, if true.

The temporary cuts for the last 3 months were entirely reasonable, but I wouldn't be signing a reduced permanent contract unless I had no better offers elsewhere - I wouldn't expect players to think any differently, they have worked hard and made sacrifices for their salaries. It's all well and good to say players should be loyal, but that has to work both ways.

I look forward to the Tigers v Falcons relegation battle next season :smt009
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Perhaps it’s being considered a proper fresh start for Borthwick et al.
Let anyone that doesn’t want to be there go and properly rebuild from scratch, literally.

Or maybe we’re just dead in the water......
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

No doubt we won't hear anything from the club other than speculation is bad.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I’ll temper some of the Monday morning doom and gloom by trying to put a positive spin on it.
Whilst I wouldn’t want our squad to be decimated at this stage, I do feel a whole lot better about this coaching setup to extract some hungrier and consistently more dynamic performances.
Do I want to see some of the players listed in RB’s post leave, no, however if that’s what’s needed for the club to survive, the so be it.
There’s significant cap tied up in that list, and assuming this is happening to some extent globally in the rugby community, there would be some real quality available to come and plug the gaps on upfront agreed sensible contracts, not ones that are being retrospectively cut.
There’s only so much space in the Japanese and French leagues. Yes, they have more money now, but they will equally be hit by post COVID cuts, and also aren’t they bringing in O/S quotas now?
If some of this list choose to leave, how many sides realistically have room left on their budgets to make offers, given most clubs are looking to make salary cuts. Wouldn’t be great PR within any club to be cutting wages across the board and then suddenly find cash to bring in an additional player....

I’d imagine a relatively quick turnaround on this, as aren’t all new players contracts due to start 1st July?
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Well, this is a big week for the Club.
New kit? Player signings/re-signings? GM becomes DOR, and Steve Borthwick and the new coaching regime officially start.

Certainty is a rare commodity when we have so many unknown and evolving factors, but maybe, (optimistic, I know) a few things might become a little clearer from Wednesday.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Isn’t there a clause in place that prohibits players leaving for other Prem clubs? Which would leave the England players ‘forced’ to agree to reduced terms, or sacrifice their international commitments.

Taufua already being linked to the multi million euro Beziers project.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It doesn't look great at face value, but it's a big decision for a player, regardless of how much they're losing financially, to up sticks to another part of the world, moving family, children etc. The global situation has no stability as it currently is, without trying to relocate to somewhere that is potentially just as bad. A move abroad, if that's the only route to the money, is a hard enough decision in normal circumstances, without taking the pandemic into account. Some of those players listed haven't been in England for a year yet ! I worked in the forces for 22 years and a move every 2 years was bad enough, and that's without the current situation to think about.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I guess if this was too happen now might be the best time.
Look at Scott for example.

Play the rest of the season with something like
1. Bateman
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Enever
5. Wells
6. Lewis
7. Reffell
8. Brink
9. Youngs
10. Henry
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Kelly
14. Potter
15. Steward

16. Mamu
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Green
20. Smith
21. White
22. Hardwick
23. Worth

and use the 4 months to scout of players to replace leavers for next season.