Potential lockdown in Leicester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Potential lockdown in Leicester

Post by JP14 »

The Mayor doesn’t want it but apparently a local lockdown is being mooted by Whitehall to stop the spread of the outbreak from North Evington.

Would be a major setback for not only the Tigers but also the City and the Country cricket...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Potential lockdown in Leicester

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If anyone actually knew what a local lockdown is it might be easier to calculate the consequences, but like a lot of advice & guidance during this pandemic vague would be a polite description.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

If it happens, and Mike Hancock has been widely trailing it, its a fair guess that it will be subject to a review after three weeks, as have other COVID restrictions.

No training for three weeks? That’s the end of a mid August start for Tigers season. Would this affect other clubs European expectations, or Premiership title if Tigers were unable to complete the season, (even in October or November?).

Long way to go.
Valhalla I am coming!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

fleabane wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:56 pm If it happens, and Mike Hancock has been widely trailing it, its a fair guess that it will be subject to a review after three weeks, as have other COVID restrictions.

No training for three weeks? That’s the end of a mid August start for Tigers season. Would this affect other clubs European expectations, or Premiership title if Tigers were unable to complete the season, (even in October or November?).

Long way to go.
You’d hope the club are planning contingencies for this, such as a case to present to show that what they are doing can be continued safely without adding to any local risk.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If I were Tigers I might also be looking at the possibility of arranging somewhere to train and accommodate the players outside of Leicester.

Pennyhill Park would be a very obvious first suggestion. Is it affordable for the club though? These days Oakham rugby club and the Melton Premier Inn is more likely.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Problem is that when Soulsby asked for precise stats, procedures etc to get stuck into the outbreak, they weren't immediately available...... four mobile testing facilities have apparently arrived, where municipal facilities should've been in place from the outset.....only local public health were ignored, the money not there......
Almost certainly Leicester will not be the only city/town affected, e.g. given Glaws region was originally a massive hotspot (courtesy of the Races) recurrence will depend on the (untested) reservoir of asymptomatic cases - the more there are, and assuming some form of immunity after three weeks, the less chance of an outbreak. Where they are more likely is in low incidence areas that for whatever reason (e.g. meat processing factory, primary school) a nexus for new contacts from further afield comes into play or where there was a spike but not a host of asymptomatics radiating from it (e.g. due to rapid lockdown).
Deffo should be plans in place to relocate if possible - a lot of imponderables aren't there?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:02 pm If I were Tigers I might also be looking at the possibility of arranging somewhere to train and accommodate the players outside of Leicester.

Pennyhill Park would be a very obvious first suggestion. Is it affordable for the club though? These days Oakham rugby club and the Melton Premier Inn is more likely.
Pennyhill Park half the country away the obvious choice? Loughborough Uni is surely the obvious choice. If that's too expensive then the agricultural school of Nottingham Uni based in Sutton Bonnington. They have pitches and a gym with on site accomodation.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:09 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:02 pm If I were Tigers I might also be looking at the possibility of arranging somewhere to train and accommodate the players outside of Leicester.

Pennyhill Park half the country away the obvious choice? Loughborough Uni is surely the obvious choice. If that's too expensive then the agricultural school of Nottingham Uni based in Sutton Bonnington. They have pitches and a gym with on site accomodation.
We're in 2020, it's not exactly a two week horse and cart journey to Surrey these days. :smt002

I did say "a very obvious first suggestion" implying that I believe there are or may be other obvious first suggestions in addition.

Joking and semantics aside, yes there are some local options too. It depends what your priorities are, which facility is willing to entertain the idea, which option (if any) is affordable and if it's even necessary in the first place.
Super User
Super User

Oval Park of course isn't in Leicester.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Moving training to Loughborough would make sense if they’re allowed to. Personally I think what will happen is what Soulsby (the famous upholder of lockdown laws himself) said in which if there is any lockdown it will be very localised. Doubt (and hoping too) restrictions are only restored to any area no bigger than Leicester East.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Super User
Super User

Meanwhile anyone who wants to avoid a potential lockdown can leave......
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:54 pm Moving training to Loughborough would make sense if they’re allowed to. Personally I think what will happen is what Soulsby (the famous upholder of lockdown laws himself) said in which if there is any lockdown it will be very localised. Doubt (and hoping too) restrictions are only restored to any area no bigger than Leicester East.
Very local lock down is what was envisaged BUT it might be politically advantageous to enforce a city wide shutdown for several reasons (including sending a major message, or crashing a Labour city local economy).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:54 pm Moving training to Loughborough would make sense if they’re allowed to. Personally I think what will happen is what Soulsby (the famous upholder of lockdown laws himself) said in which if there is any lockdown it will be very localised. Doubt (and hoping too) restrictions are only restored to any area no bigger than Leicester East.
Very local lock down is what was envisaged BUT it might be politically advantageous to enforce a city wide shutdown for several reasons (including sending a major message, or crashing a Labour city local economy).
I think after the inevitable carnage at pubs next Saturday, they may well want to send a very strong message.
Super User
Super User

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:36 pm
I think after the inevitable carnage at pubs next Saturday, they may well want to send a very strong message.
Bit late then though........sounds familiar.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:36 pm
The logical thing would be to keep the 2m rule in place (which they are doing) and then stop the reopening of non-essential businesses for another 2 weeks. Obviously travel would also have to be limited as well. Realistically that would have to be to all of Leicester rather than just East Leicester. That would be very unpopular but it would send a strong message.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:54 pm Oval Park of course isn't in Leicester.
Nominally. It's looked after by the county council as opposed to city but just three miles from the centre and with no break in building it is really just another area of the city. If you were driving through Leicester to Oadby you wouldn't realise you'd left the city behind you. If they apply the lockdown to the city they may extend that out to Oadby and Wigston.

How popular it would be with the players for the club to suggest that they isolate at unused student accommodation for two weeks so they can train but not be with their families I don't know. Then again a bit of tour style bonding might just help the new lads settle in.