LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerReggie

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by TigerReggie »

Was there ever any solid news it was ever going to be Alemanno or did you all just start a rumour and convince yourselves of it by going on and on like it was fact? Same with Lavanini and veianu leaving?? Was there ever any evidence? Just interested as I think a lot of people have built themselves up to getting certain signing on the back of not a lot of information.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Fissler stoking the rumours again on Veainu and Lavinini

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... up-future/
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Would be interesting if we had to pick between the two. Love Veainu, most exciting player in a Tigers shirt since Healey.

Yet we’ve been sorely lacking in the pack and a player like Lavanini is invaluable and probably a more important cog in the direction Borthwick will probably want us to play. More pragmatic with probably a playmaker from 15.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:03 am
Scuttle wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:46 pm I have on good authority that the Puma we’re signing is Juan Martin Hernandez... :smt023
I am sorry but not sure about that. If I am wrong I apologise but why sign a 37 year old whose preferred position is fly'-half but who can play further out in midfield/full back, when we have the players we have in that area along with new signings.
It was a joke :smt030.
Ah ok. My apologies :smt023
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

happywomble wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:06 pm Fissler stoking the rumours again on Veainu and Lavinini

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... up-future/
That just the same story as the weekend.
The rugbypaper release there weekend stories mid week for free.

Although he has looked at this board since and edited the part where he apparently signed a contract last season and had interest from Saints.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Doing some research on Enever, it seems he's never quite nailed down a starting spot at the Brumbies in the years he's been there. His selection for the Wallabies was something of a surprise and came because of a lot of injuries at lock.

He does call the lineout, which is very useful.

I'm not seeing anything to suggest he's an upgrade on Spencer or indeed those before him: Kitchener and M.Williams.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:57 pm Doing some research on Enever, it seems he's never quite nailed down a starting spot at the Brumbies in the years he's been there. His selection for the Wallabies was something of a surprise and came because of a lot of injuries at lock.

I'm not seeing anything to suggest he's an upgrade on Spencer or indeed those before him: Kitchener and M.Williams.
Here's some pure speculation on my part. Maybe the reason the signing appears to have come from left field is that as previously rumoured we were going to sign Allemano or equivalent but the wage reductions that are coming have scuppered that plan and we have gone for a less expensive option so that we can invest the difference in keeping the likes of Lavanini and TV.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Blimey I would be an upgrade on Mike Williams! !!!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JerryGas wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:08 pm Blimey I would be an upgrade on Mike Williams! !!!
I think our present Chairman would be as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:08 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:57 pm Doing some research on Enever, it seems he's never quite nailed down a starting spot at the Brumbies in the years he's been there. His selection for the Wallabies was something of a surprise and came because of a lot of injuries at lock.

Here's some pure speculation on my part. Maybe the reason the signing appears to have come from left field is that as previously rumoured we were going to sign Allemano or equivalent but the wage reductions that are coming have scuppered that plan and we have gone for a less expensive option so that we can invest the difference in keeping the likes of Lavanini and TV.
As you said pure speculation, and if that was the case then I would be more than satisfied. Enever isn't a world beater but if he does the basics well and allows other things to tick then we should be fine.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

As is now traditional on this forum, new signings announced and the usual suspects (you know who you are) immediately condemn them before they have even ran out at Welford Road. I imagine you would or did the same when the likes of Ant Allen, Ed Slater, Julian Salvi and a certain guy called Ayerza arrived. Jive them a chance then judge. :smt023
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

For reference, Julian Salvi made 63 appearances for the Brumbies in 8 years 2003-2011, (well, 7 seasons as he had a year at Bath 2009/2010).
That’s not a huge amount of appearances for that length of time, but he’s was arguably a key component in our team during his time with us.
Sometimes a player just fits. Will he add to us, you’d hope Borthwick knows his stuff about what a lock can add to a team.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicester need some added stability, a big solid physical presence with strong basics, a Kruis type if you like.
It looks like Enever has been identified as such.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I am willing to give the new coaching team my support on the basis they know they are in a rebuilding phase and will be recruiting accordingly. One of the signs of a great coach is taking solid players and making them better, as well as making the whole team better than the sum of its parts.
As Good As It Gets
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Some folks are assuming Borthwick played some part in the signing of Enever, however at this juncture no one knows that actually is the case.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity