Tigers' Players in the Media

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jacko27

Tigers' Players in the Media

Post by Jacko27 »

Interesting to see that three (two current, one former) Tigers' players feature in articles in today's Daily Telegraph. Ellis Genge and Tom Varndell express different views about Edward Colston. I hadn't realised that both Varndell and Jordan Crane attended Colston's School and - up to a point - learned their rugby there. In a separate article Greg Bateman gives a well-reasoned account of his real disappointment with the 25% pay cut.
albany
Tiger Cub

Re: Tigers' Players in the Media

Post by albany »

Timing of mixing up Genge and Ludlams pictures really couldn't be any worse. Understand Bateman's sentiments up to a point but there will have to be sacrifices if the premiership is to actually start living within its means.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Teams like Sale always publicly stated they never spent up to the cap because they couldn’t afford to, now it appears every club in the premiership spends up to the limit regardless of whether they can afford to.

Now the situation has been massively exacerbated by the Covid pandemic which has forced the clubs hands in cutting costs. Without some real change there might be no premiership in the next 5 years, alright for the current players who have retired by then but what about the next generation?

All well and good players moaning but what alternatives do they propose? Seems that some are stuck up their own self-importance and then wonder why they were never consulted?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I think the issue isn't that they might be payed less its that the middle quality group of players (Journeymen to some) are gonna be the ones who feel the squeeze the most, we have seen it already that the Marque slot has driven wages up dramatically for the international quality players. To make matters worse for the middle tier of player they aren't ever really going to get picked up in Japan or France due to international quotas. So what are they to do? As Greg put it players are getting shafted
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:48 am I think the issue isn't that they might be payed less its that the middle quality group of players (Journeymen to some) are gonna be the ones who feel the squeeze the most, we have seen it already that the Marque slot has driven wages up dramatically for the international quality players. To make matters worse for the middle tier of player they aren't ever really going to get picked up in Japan or France due to international quotas. So what are they to do? As Greg put it players are getting shafted
Okay then what are the clubs supposed to do then? Tigers are making staff redundant yet the players think life for them will carry on with no financial repercussions?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It is what it is, they're lucky still to have jobs. I have sympathy for them, no one wants to take a pay cut, but what can you do?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:01 am It is what it is, they're lucky still to have jobs. I have sympathy for them, no one wants to take a pay cut, but what can you do?
100%, the other alternatives are far worse. Think of the poor players out of contract on the 01 June with no other suitors. Adam Thompstone would have walked into another contract before the pandemic. Yet Bateman who still has another year left on his thinks it’s appropriate to moan to the media. I’m sorry but some players have lost respect in my eyes.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:48 am I think the issue isn't that they might be payed less its that the middle quality group of players (Journeymen to some) are gonna be the ones who feel the squeeze the most, we have seen it already that the Marque slot has driven wages up dramatically for the international quality players. To make matters worse for the middle tier of player they aren't ever really going to get picked up in Japan or France due to international quotas. So what are they to do? As Greg put it players are getting shafted
I don’t have a telegraph subscription so can’t see the article but I don’t understand how the players think they are being shafted?

A fair deal is that the players get paid their worth to the clubs, at the moment they are getting paid way more than that.

I’ve heard a suggestion before that the salary cap should be linked to revenues and to me that makes sense as a way to make sure they get paid fairly.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I don't think anybody is saying they wan't their money and sod the clubs, its more the fact that the way it has been done means the top level players are likely to keep very high salaries and due to academy credits young players will also be largely unaffected, meaning those middle tier players are going to be the ones that take the hit yet they aren't the ones who have caused the clubs to be paying beyond their means
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

It is a valid point you make in that some players are affected more than others and this doesn’t seem fair. Maybe it could have been thought through a bit more and better implemented. A do feel for anyone who has had to sacrifice salary or even their job. I feel less sorry for Ancelotti and the Everton football players or indeed any top flight professional football player, some of whom might have to cut back their extravagant spending for a short time.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

'The Media' today is all encompassing and eats up the comments of Sportsmen and Celebrities alike to both make and create news.Along with media access should be access to common sense - trouble is that is seldom the case....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Maybe the debate over money is not being aimed in the right direction.
If the cap limit hadn't been inflated and then exceeded over the past few seasons then clubs would not have been under so much pressure to compete, everyone could've cut their cloth accordingly and perhaps more money would be in reserve at this difficult time.
Given the cap breach I had to double take at one article I read with Maro talking about a fair and balanced society.
Perhaps he'd like to give up his titles.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:20 am I don't think anybody is saying they wan't their money and sod the clubs, its more the fact that the way it has been done means the top level players are likely to keep very high salaries and due to academy credits young players will also be largely unaffected, meaning those middle tier players are going to be the ones that take the hit yet they aren't the ones who have caused the clubs to be paying beyond their means
Genuine question why does this mean the middle will be squeezed? Given the injuries in rugby and nature of game (it’s not basketball) I can’t believe having a few stars + kids is better than having a well rounded squad if want to win anything.

The marquee rule encourages this huge disparity and scrapping that - which seems part of the plans is way to benefit middle players the most.

My understanding of academy credits is that if a player comes through the academy they get more cap space. This encourages clubs to develop their own players so the winners are local players and the losers are players from overseas.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Surely everyone wanted the Cap to be raised so that we could compete in Europe, whats changed now, France hasn't said it's going to reduce their Cap, so do we just sit back and accept that its unlikely that we might not win? Clubs need to survive and will have to accept that until our home grown players reach international level honours might not be coming our way for some time!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Personally I don't think much can be done, and in my view Bateman could be approaching thin ice with the club.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni