Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Just read guidance and in fact no mass spectator attended sports until vaccine deployed. Could be several seasons of no fans!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Or like New Zealand just eradicate the disease through contact tracing so that there is less of reliance on the vaccine?

There has never been a vaccine found for Spanish Flu yet life returned to normal after 1920.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Eventually it will go back to normal regardless of vaccine. We can't hide away for ever trying to avoid that 0.1% probability of death - mainly because it exists even without coronavirus.

Coronavirus won't go away, but the public will get bored of hearing about it and the media will give up pushing it.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 3:36 pm Premier league football training on a small scale to resume tomorrow.
Social distancing will be easier in a game of soccer with typically less than 20 tackles per game compared with rugby's circa 200 (tongue in cheek, no need for a lecture from those who also follow the round ball game thank you).
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Leatigaga appears to be coming back from New Zealand.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Once the pubs open then it won’t be long before fans attend matches.
Most fans will be sensible to stay as safe as possible and like some scientists have said, there will soon be less chance of catching then sadly dying from the virus than getting cancer or pneumonia which I the elderly can be just as fatal.
There obviously won’t be the same freedom inside grounds to visit the bars but all clubs will have time to put in place ways to attend games feeling relatively safe.
The main harm to the players will be if they have to play out this season then start the next in late Autumn: I don’t usually go along with much of what Stuart Barnes says but his article in The Times yesterday made an overwhelmingly strong, sensible case for this 19/20 season to be ended and of course it’s been made easy by the Sarries’ situation and paradoxically, Sarries playing in a league that will most likely start in September makes continuing with 19/20 The Premiership interesting!
There has also been the suggestion that if the Premiership was back in August then there’d be no line outs, rucks, mauls and scrums: when I read this I thought I’d woken up on April 1st!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Now this is on The BBC Sports ‘ News:
World Rugby's executive committee will consider recommendations this week that could help significantly reduce the risk of coronavirus in the sport.

Measures such as limiting face-to-face contact, reducing time in scrums and hygiene procedures will be reviewed.

However, radical changes to the laws, such as eliminating scrums completely, would not apply to the elite game.

Any guidance from World Rugby would also be open to interpretation and implementation by individual unions.

This would be based on their government's advice and the prevalence of the virus in their territory.

Research conducted by rugby's top medical authorities has found that the sport's high-risk event exposure might be lower than widely expected.

While guidelines from the World Health Organization state that people are at a high risk of catching the virus if they spend 15 minutes cumulatively within one metre of an infected person, the average contact exposure time for second rows - the position in most regular contact with the opposition - is roughly 13.5 cumulative minutes.

Outside backs' high transmission risk time can cumulatively be as low as a minute-and-a-half, with the offside line offering a level of social distancing for those in certain positions.

But while there is no necessity to implement any law or behavioural change under WHO guidance, World Rugby - the game's governing body - has taken steps to help mitigate the risk to players at both the elite and community level.

This could see a clampdown on the number of scrum resets and stricter enforcements over high tackles - which often lead to face-to-face contact - as well as time spent in rucks and mauls.

Among the hygiene measures being considered are the changing and washing of the ball, regular use of hand sanitiser before, during and after matches, changing shirts and head-gear at half-time, and limiting the time teams spend at a ground before a match.

While there are no plans yet to restart the community game in any territory, New Zealand rugby is set to launch an internal competition in the middle of June, while the Pro 14 is aiming to resume derby matches from 22 August.

The English Premiership has yet to map out their return to action, but hopes to resume training in June.

Listen: Rugby Union Weekly on the future of the sport
Harlequins scrum-half Danny Care told the Rugby Union Weekly podcast the players are becoming increasingly frustrated by the current limbo.

"I think I speak for most of the players, we seem to be in the dark," Care said.

"The question is going to be: Do players and staff and coaches put themselves at risk. I know for a fact there are a lot of lads who have pregnant wives - do they come into training? No they can't.

"Would anyone who lives with someone elderly and vulnerable come into training? No they can't.

"There will be a lot of people who will choose not to [come into training]. There will have to be some testing and some assurance that you won't put people at risk and bring this disease home."