LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by kpj tiger »

As I understand it we have been in talks with Montoya for over a season now, we are looking for a medium/long term successor to OTY and he is one of the preferred options, I suppose if Jaguares are in trouble we may bring him in a season or so early just to get our man so to speak even if it does mean we are loaded at hooker
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think it would be a wise move to bring him in, Youngs is our current starting hooker.
Once he goes or maybe decides to do a white and focus on farming but helping out in say Development games giving younger props a seasoned head for example, we will need to find a starting hooker.

Montoya would be hard to top in terms of better players.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

As far as Montoya goes, if we have a chance to sign someone who can displace the consistently excellent Augustin Creevy as automatic starter for the Pumas and Jaguares we should go for it. As has been said Tom Youngs, whilst still having much to offer, is moving towards the end of his career and may be able to extend it, if he wishes to, by us having Mumakashvilli and Montoya.

Then there is the excellent Jake Kerr. RB what is the contract position with him? I have forgotten whether he re-signed. Given that he must continue to have international aspirations a move to Scotland may well beckon in the future if he cannot realise them by staying at Tigers. Having Montoya here makes that much easier for Tigers to deal with should it arise.

So I, for one, would be pleased to see us sign Montoya if we can fit him in under the salary cap.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Tommy Bell announced as leaving Ealing at the end of this current season.
He's had a few injuries of late, but still only 27 - he covers multiple positions in the backs and is a good goal kicker.
I appreciate Murphy has said all our signings have been finalised for next season, but he wouldn't be a bad option IMO.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Montoya is a superb player, with years of rugby ahead of him. If we can get him at all, then I would do so now
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Montoya is a superb player, with years of rugby ahead of him. If we can get him at all, then I would do so now
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

If Montoya came, brilliant if he did I could see OTY retiring to spend time where he is happiest. On the farm
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I can’t see Tom Youngs retiring before the end of the 2020/2021 season whilst he is celebrating his testimonial year with Ben.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:56 pm I can’t see Tom Youngs retiring before the end of the 2020/2021 season whilst he is celebrating his testimonial year with Ben.
Wouldn’t make any difference to his testimonial
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Is it not more likely that Montoya would be coming in to replace TPN rather than OTY?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Boffelli anyone? Welford Road is almost like Buenos Aires at times!

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/emiliano ... yers-leave
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:20 pm Is it not more likely that Montoya would be coming in to replace TPN rather than OTY?
Agreed but then why sign the Georgian hooker
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:56 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:20 pm Is it not more likely that Montoya would be coming in to replace TPN rather than OTY?
Because we were in talks with Montoya to come in from 21/22 when his contract at the Jaguares ended after the 21 Super Rugby season. The Jaguares allowing players to look at options earlier means we may lose Montoya long term if he decides to sign elsewhere in order to secure his playing future.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

happywomble wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:33 pm Boffelli anyone? Welford Road is almost like Buenos Aires at times!

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/emiliano ... yers-leave
Back three of Boffelli, Veainu and Nadolo with Ford's cross-field kicks and passing game would be great to watch!!

Kolpak could be the issue here though with Lavanini and any other foreign players under that agreement
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:21 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:56 pm
Because we were in talks with Montoya to come in from 21/22 when his contract at the Jaguares ended after the 21 Super Rugby season. The Jaguares allowing players to look at options earlier means we may lose Montoya long term if he decides to sign elsewhere in order to secure his playing future.
Ok thanks that makes sense. So if Montoya came I doubt 3 into 2 would go so I could possibly see an early exit for OTY. Only my opinion of course