LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by trendylfj »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:25 pm Wasn’t there a story of Ford moving on to a gig in the American League?
He certainly was involved a couple of years ago but the impression I got from him when chatting to him then was that there were too many meetings and very little coaching, That didn't impress him so I would be surprised to see him go.
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

So all of the incoming players are signed - not sure what Geordie meant with his rather oblique comment about Maro, but let's hope the club can give us some names next week. Loved the LTTV interview with him and Daz - will have to listen to it again to clear my mind as to what he was saying
Hehehehehehehehe
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Daz and Cockers were a real couple of characters. I wouldn't have liked to get on the wrong side of them though. :smt005
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:34 am Daz and Cockers were a real couple of characters. I wouldn't have liked to get on the wrong side of them though. :smt005
Reading 'A Year in Stripes' Cockers comes out really well, especially as the most likely to help younger players, and the Baron as a naturally gifted player. Both staggeringly competitive.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There's a regular podcast there but it would need to be a not for the faint hearted.

A genuinely funny bloke, a real insight into the amateur into professional era.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

RIL - TRANSFER RUMOUR: Argentinean hooker Julián Montoya has been linked to both Gloucester and Leicester Tigers.

Gloucester have long been linked to hookers and Leicester are believed to be looking for a replacement for Tatafu Polota-Nau.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

anz3001 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm RIL - TRANSFER RUMOUR: Argentinean hooker Julián Montoya has been linked to both Gloucester and Leicester Tigers.

Gloucester have long been linked to hookers and Leicester are believed to be looking for a replacement for Tatafu Polota-Nau.
Rumoured we looked at him, but signed Mamukashvili instead. Given we have four senior hookers, won’t be signing anyone else.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Suspect it will be a season after next thing, as a Youngs replacement IF it was to happen.
We have been in talks with him for like 18 months now.
Youngs
Mamu
Kerr
Clare
Is there space?
IMO I would take him now if we can fit in the space.

Looking long term is
Kerr really going to be with us past next season? Scottish clubs will be sniffing, if he does play for us and become a starter will Scotland pick him if so have to factor in that.
Is this going to be Youngs final season? (How often has that been said)
Genge, Montoya, Cole, Lavaini would be a quality 4 for the tight 5 potentially IMO the best in the league pushing one of the best in europe.

IF it was me I would be willing to sacrifice a potential incoming back row (Unless someone great is available to secure him.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Montoya is a fantastic player. I'd take him at Tigers in a heartbeat. I agree with sacrificing a back row signing for Montoya unless someone excellent was available (Beka Gorgadza, Peceli Yato, etc).

A lock signing to partner Lavanini is still priority one in my opinion though.

Re Kerr. I'm not sure he'd force his way in at Edinburgh or Glasgow. At Edinburgh you've got McInally and Willemse (a very good Cockers signing). At Glasgow, there's Fraser Brown and George Turner. Also academy talent coming through both set-ups at hooker.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Anyone seen anything of isaac lucas who has just been released from the reds he can play full back and centre possibly wing also however he is only 21 so I imagine it will be tough to get him away from Australia if he has his eye on playing internationally.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/jaguares ... -uncertain. This may be one of the reasons why no announcements have been made. It may also where the rumour about Montoya came from - exciting week ahead I hope.
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surprised if we do sign him this season, remember the complaints last season about overstocking the front row? He is an excellent player mind.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Have heard the Montoya rumors previously, again they were supposedly based on the season after next.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Listened to the Podcast on Friday, I’m sure Murphy stated all players are now already signed up, and will be announced in due course. He did mention getting the correct Visas sorted, so presumably at least some of those left to be announced would be com overseas.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:15 am Have heard the Montoya rumors previously, again they were supposedly based on the season after next.
Which makes more sense. Of course if he's forced to leave early then we might try and sort something for him so as not to lose him for the season after next.

Right now I don't think hooker is anything like a priority. There's some outside backs, locks and backrows that will be coming available from the Jags that might well interest us. Just as with the SA contract situation a few weeks back a few of them would have as well. With the Jags boys the issue is the foreign player rule and how we can get around that (we'd need them to have a second citizenship e.g. Italy).