World rugby grounds

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: World rugby grounds

Post by mol2 »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 am Not sure you can call Welford Road iconic or on of the best in the world, yes it has a large capacity and like all grounds has seen some wonderful matches but it is a mish mash of stands which is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
The reason Baths ground is on the list is because it’s in the centre of one of the most beautiful cities in the world with wonderful views wherever you sit, yes as a stadium it’s not good but if they get the planning permission for the design they have submitted it will the most iconic stadium in the world. (In my opinion but I’m sure many will disagree)
There aren't too many club grounds where the atmosphere when the crowd gets worked up is more impressive.

There is a world of difference between a nice place to visit and the atmosphere in its rugby stadium.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:58 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 pm Completely agree BigDan. If I could choose one Premiership away game to go to each season, it would be Bath every time. Beautiful place.
But you’re going to Bath, not the rugby ground which is the only one in the world with a shallow end and a deep end.

Jp14 I don’t think anyone is getting carried away it’s just interesting to be discussing this sort of thing, rather than say players we will never sign
Erm, when I go to an away game I do tend to go to the rugby ground. And I enjoy going to the Rec, sorry.

"Best rugby ground" is a very personal thing. mol2 loves Welford Road because of the atmosphere, which is fine. I love the Rec because of the setting, which is fine too. Neither of us is wrong.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:21 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 pm Completely agree BigDan. If I could choose one Premiership away game to go to each season, it would be Bath every time. Beautiful place.
But you’re going to Bath, not the rugby ground which is the only one in the world with a shallow end and a deep end.

Jp14 I don’t think anyone is getting carried away it’s just interesting to be discussing this sort of thing, rather than say players we will never sign
Erm, when I go to an away game I do tend to go to the rugby ground. And I enjoy going to the Rec, sorry.

"Best rugby ground" is a very personal thing. mol2 loves Welford Road because of the atmosphere, which is fine. I love the Rec because of the setting, which is fine too. Neither of us is wrong.
Of course and the fact that you can put that odd assortment of stands in one place and still call it a rugby stadium backs up your point.
I wouldn’t personally call,it a stadium
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Mark, are you talking about The Rec or Welford Road when you say “odd assortment of stands”.
Welford Road is a very odd assortment of stands, it’s not a pretty stadium by a long way, nor is The Rec but at least if they build their stadium it will be one of the best rugby stadiums in the world, I just wish our board had the foresight to build a flowing stadium with all stands the same height.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://drive.google.com/?tab=io&authuser=0

These pictures predate the last stand redevelopment but as you can see it won't be long before the Crumbie and Alliance stand will be developed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Big Dan50 must only be an occasional visitor to Welford Rd as he doesn't seem to realise that we are on a wedge shaped piece of land so with taking into account the size of the pitch different depths are available to us on each side and this affects the height and capacity of each stand. Another factor is simply the cash available, our Alliance and Leicester East stand was built whilst the game was still amateur, The Caterpillar North stand was a 30 million investment about eleven years ago, the Robin Hood West stand 8 million or so more recently, had we been able to purchase the car showroom land at the same time as we bought the Day centre land (Crumbie car park) then maybe we could have turned the pitch but that was not an option. Our Board have done well to give us what we have. Bath after more than twenty years of professional rugby still do not own their ground, still have temporary stands that are open to the elements with many seats giving a very limited view of the pitch. Yes the city is beautiful and many residents do not want it spoiled by a large stadium no matter how aesthetically pleasing on their recreation ground.
If Bath were ever relegated I have no doubt that their current facilities would fail to meet the criteria necessary to be promoted, I am wondering what compromises will be made to enable Saracens to come back up eventually.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 pm

Of course and the fact that you can put that odd assortment of stands in one place and still call it a rugby stadium backs up your point.
I'm pretty sure I called it a rugby ground, which it clearly is. Why is there this incessant need for people to argue about things I never even said?
Last edited by Tiglon on Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

What criteria could Saracens fall short upon in terms of Allianz Park?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:53 am
Mark62 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 pm

I'm pretty sure I called it a rugby ground, which it clearly is. Why is there this incessant need for people to argue about things I never even said?
Because to me and possibly the less fussy of us a ground is the pitch the game is played on, a Stadium is where numerous people assemble to watch an event.

Big Dan likes to make his point but I would say that the last 2 stand developments have been the start of a complete stadium. That is never going to happen until someone puts a match to what was the Crumbiest stand, but there are too many traditionalists would be in up roar if that happened
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

To JP14 Saracens have inadequate toilet facilities, temporary seating and many factors that are not upto Premiership standard. They themselves recognise this and have plans to build a second main stand down the side of the pitch but it is currently on hold. Their fans are welcoming and they make the best of what they have but currently it is not good enough.
Personally I think they made a mistake by moving to a location where they are unable to play matches on Friday nights a factor deemed necessary for most other clubs.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:51 pm To JP14 Saracens have inadequate toilet facilities, temporary seating and many factors that are not upto Premiership standard. They themselves recognise this and have plans to build a second main stand down the side of the pitch but it is currently on hold. Their fans are welcoming and they make the best of what they have but currently it is not good enough.
Personally I think they made a mistake by moving to a location where they are unable to play matches on Friday nights a factor deemed necessary for most other clubs.
Thank you, I have never been to Allianz Park but this has cleared it up nicely. Be interesting if they struggle to qualify for promotion on facility grounds but what will be the deciding factor is whether there is an agenda at Prem Rugby to ensure that Saracens don't return to the top tier.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I know it’s not actually the ground but the Allianz is so difficult to get to. And the food when I went was diabolical. Beyond awful. And the toilets - don’t get me started, but then I’m female and the loos are always dire. again, it’s not the ground but it is all part of the experience of visiting a ground

Rant over.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:10 pm What criteria could Saracens fall short upon in terms of Allianz Park?
Nothing. I went there on two occasions and found the place inspiring - all those 'honesty' and 'integrity' posters printed along the corridors and on tackle bags. Nigel Wray up in the stands accepting the applause of the crows like some later day Caesar, thumbs up / thumbs down. Made me realise that 'something special was happening at Sarries'.