World rugby grounds

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

World rugby grounds

Post by Mark62 »

The rugby paper have done a list of what they say are the top 20 rugby grounds worldwide.

Only 2 English club grounds in the list Kingsholm and The Rec.

The writer obviously couldn’t be bothered to travel out of the West Country
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: World rugby grounds

Post by ay2oh »

Mark62 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:29 pm The rugby paper have done a list of what they say are the top 20 rugby grounds worldwide.

The rec is undoubtedly the most picturesque ground in the prem but the ground itself and the pitch is the worst :smt003
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I have no problem with there being only 2 English club grounds, but... Kingsholm?? The reason for including it seems to be that it smells of hot dogs and looks better in the dark. :smt017
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:35 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:29 pm The rugby paper have done a list of what they say are the top 20 rugby grounds worldwide.

The rec is undoubtedly the most picturesque ground in the prem but the ground itself and the pitch is the worst :smt003
Certainly it’s location but everything else ??
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Lot of Japanese grounds made it in there, based on RWC atmospheres that will never be recreated
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:38 pm I have no problem with there being only 2 English club grounds, but... Kingsholm?? The reason for including it seems to be that it smells of hot dogs and looks better in the dark. :smt017
The problem with Kingsholm is that you are not allowed in unless you are over 20 stone :smt003
A2O
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

When I first saw this article was disappointed by Welford Roads omission.A great deal of history and tradition resides there.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

i have not read the article and don't know what criteria was used bu as a fan that visited all Premiership grounds and most European ones in my opinion Bath & Saracen's Allianz Park are the two worst by some margin. Not a lot wrong with Gloucester although not sure why they built a new stand with uprights that get in the way, mind you I like my seat in the Crumbie that has the same problem.
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

The rec seems to be in there because 'it has a nice backdrop', which is fine but that has nothing to do with being a good rugby ground and it fails massively in nearly every other metric.

Kingsholm is a dump in places but at least it has a bit of character.

The whole piece is a bit odd though, it seems to be 90% national stadiums mixed in with a load of SANZAR club pitches, and few cursory premiership grounds thrown in for 'balance'.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wouldn’t read too much into it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:28 pm I wouldn’t read too much into it.
Into what ?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:42 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:28 pm I wouldn’t read too much into it.
Into what ?
The article, I think if this was 7 or 8 years ago when Tigers were at the top and Welford Road was at full capacity then it would have been featured. But even this (or now last) season Welford Road had a really good crowd especially against Bristol that was a good day.

Welford Road is still one of the best and most iconic rugby stadiums in the world.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Not sure you can call Welford Road iconic or on of the best in the world, yes it has a large capacity and like all grounds has seen some wonderful matches but it is a mish mash of stands which is not aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
The reason Baths ground is on the list is because it’s in the centre of one of the most beautiful cities in the world with wonderful views wherever you sit, yes as a stadium it’s not good but if they get the planning permission for the design they have submitted it will the most iconic stadium in the world. (In my opinion but I’m sure many will disagree)
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Completely agree BigDan. If I could choose one Premiership away game to go to each season, it would be Bath every time. Beautiful place.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 pm Completely agree BigDan. If I could choose one Premiership away game to go to each season, it would be Bath every time. Beautiful place.
But you’re going to Bath, not the rugby ground which is the only one in the world with a shallow end and a deep end.

Jp14 I don’t think anyone is getting carried away it’s just interesting to be discussing this sort of thing, rather than say players we will never sign