LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by POSTIGER »

I think Jordan will become a very good player for us, he just needs to bulk up a bit. As someone who bemoans the modern obsession with size, it pains me to say that but he does look comparatively lightweight. Someone like Sam Vesty was also relatively slight but was deceptively strong, JO doesn't seem to have that same natural physicality but if they can build him up a bit he seems to have a good skillset otherwise.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think Olowofela was denied two tries by poor refereeing decisions. I accept that he needs to work on his defense but most young players have areas of their game that they need to improve. I agree with those that say he could find his best position is as at 13 I have seen the lad play there and he did well. Some are equally adept at centre and wing some are far less effective in a second position developing young players is all about finding the right place for them.
JP.14 produces some interesting stats, I suggest Johnny May's superior try scoring record per appearance was also influenced by when he played we had our full contingent of England players turning out with more opportunities being created for our wingers.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:26 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:40 am Here is the try scoring stats from Leicester's wingers for this season so far:
  • Aspland-Robinson: 0 tries in 2 appearances
  • Holmes: 8 tries in 15 appearances (0.53 tries a game on average)
  • Hughes: 0 tries in 4 appearences
  • May: 6 tries in 5 appearances (1.2 tries a game on average)
  • Olowofela: 3 tries in 12 appearances (0.25 tries a game on average)
  • Thompstone: 2 tries in 12 appearances (0.17 tries a game on average)
As you can see, the try-scoring rate of all our wingers last season was poor or below-par with only Jonny May averaging more than one try a game in just six appearances. I would argue that wasn't down to individual ability but poor gameplan & execution.

Also Olowofela was robbed against Worcester but that's another argument for another day.
I would argue that those try scoring ratios are all very much down to individual ability.

Johnny May - excellent winger, excellent try/game ratio
Jonah Holmes - good winger, good try/game ratio
Thompstone & Hughes - poor players (past their prime and probably not Prem quality any more), poor try/game ratios
Olowofela and Aspland-Robinson - promising players but not first choice Prem quality yet, poor try/game ratios

Our wingers with more individual ability scored more tries. Rubbish tactics or not, May achieved a ridiculously good try scoring record this season and Holmes managed one that was very respectable indeed. Hughes, Thompstone and Olowofela didn't score fewer tries than May and Holmes because of poor tactics or gameplan, they scored fewer tries because they currently have less individual ability.
According to the premiership rugby site, only Johnny May has scored more than 1 of those tries in the premiership. I don't have the breakdown of the tries but I assume Holmes came against some weak opposition as well?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Agree most young players have areas of their game that need work - but that's the point. Olowofela is still a young and promising player, not a first choice Premiership player.

I'm pretty sure he'll get plenty of game time next season and have the opportunity to make that leap.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:40 am Here is the try scoring stats from Leicester's wingers for this season so far:
  • Aspland-Robinson: 0 tries in 2 appearances
  • Holmes: 8 tries in 15 appearances (0.53 tries a game on average)
  • Hughes: 0 tries in 4 appearences
  • May: 6 tries in 5 appearances (1.2 tries a game on average)
  • Olowofela: 3 tries in 12 appearances (0.25 tries a game on average)
  • Thompstone: 2 tries in 12 appearances (0.17 tries a game on average)
As you can see, the try-scoring rate of all our wingers last season was poor or below-par with only Jonny May averaging more than one try a game in just six appearances. I would argue that wasn't down to individual ability but poor gameplan & execution.

Also Olowofela was robbed against Worcester but that's another argument for another day.
I would argue that those try scoring ratios are all very much down to individual ability.

Thompstone & Hughes - poor players (past their prime and probably not Prem quality any more), poor try/game ratios
Olowofela and Aspland-Robinson - promising players but not first choice Prem quality yet, poor try/game ratios

Our wingers with more individual ability scored more tries. Rubbish tactics or not, May achieved a ridiculously good try scoring record this season and Holmes managed one that was very respectable indeed. Hughes, Thompstone and Olowofela didn't score fewer tries than May and Holmes because of poor tactics or gameplan, they scored fewer tries because they currently have less individual ability.
According to the premiership rugby site, only Johnny May has scored more than 1 of those tries in the premiership. I don't have the breakdown of the tries but I assume Holmes came against some weak opposition as well?
Probably right, but I'm sure Olowofela played against many of those same weaker sides.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Olowafela is well short of deserving a regular first team slot. He needs to beef up some, and really learn more about a wingers game. However, he needs time, and will hopefully have the ability to become a first team regular
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:54 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:47 pm

Probably right, but I'm sure Olowofela played against many of those same weaker sides.
Holmes scored 4 in one match
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I have mentioned here before but I think May has played all his games this season with Ford at 10.

Olowofela has played 2 game with Ford at 10, 1 against Bristol in which he helped assist a try and the other against Cardiff in which he scored a try.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

You could also argue the opposite - that Reid or Hardwick only have a worse record than Ford because they play most of their games at 10 with Olowofela on the wing instead of May.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

and I would argue that is really clutching at straws.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I'd venture to say that if Olowofela played for another Premiership Club his qualities and potential would be recognised more on here than his apparent weaknesses....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Holmes finally announced by the dragons
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:39 pm I think Olowofela was denied two tries by poor refereeing decisions. I accept that he needs to work on his defense but most young players have areas of their game that they need to improve. I agree with those that say he could find his best position is as at 13 I have seen the lad play there and he did well. Some are equally adept at centre and wing some are far less effective in a second position developing young players is all about finding the right place for them.
JP.14 produces some interesting stats, I suggest Johnny May's superior try scoring record per appearance was also influenced by when he played we had our full contingent of England players turning out with more opportunities being created for our wingers.
I agree.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

For all you stat lovers!! -for the last 5 Premiership games Olowofela started on the wing, his stats in bold and our other winger that day in brackets:

Versus Worcester
Metres run - 22 (0) - Tackles made - 4 (6) - Tackles missed - 5 (1)

Versus Sale
Metres run - 4 (13) - Tackles made - 2 (3) - Tackles missed - 3 (0)

Versus Bath
Metres run - 31 (30) - Tackles made - 5 (2) - Tackles missed - 3 (1)

Versus Bristol
Metres run - 29 (140) - Tackles made - 6 (9) - Tackles missed - 5 (0)

Versus Irish
Metres run - 60 (23) - Tackles made - 1 (5) - Tackles missed - 2 (1)

Overall makes average metres, doesn't make as many tackles, misses a whole lot more! The second worse for tries scored (by one try!). Start him in the Premiership Cup games but not Premiership starting quality by a country mile, if you want Tigers to compete at the top.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

[*]
DingDong wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm For all you stat lovers!! -for the last 5 Premiership games Olowofela started on the wing, his stats in bold and our other winger that day in brackets:

Versus Worcester
Metres run - 22 (0) - Tackles made - 4 (6) - Tackles missed - 5 (1)

Versus Sale
Metres run - 4 (13) - Tackles made - 2 (3) - Tackles missed - 3 (0)

Versus Bath
Metres run - 31 (30) - Tackles made - 5 (2) - Tackles missed - 3 (1)

Versus Bristol
Metres run - 29 (140) - Tackles made - 6 (9) - Tackles missed - 5 (0)

Versus Irish
Metres run - 60 (23) - Tackles made - 1 (5) - Tackles missed - 2 (1)

Overall makes average metres, doesn't make as many tackles, misses a whole lot more! The second worse for tries scored (by one try!). Start him in the Premiership Cup games but not Premiership starting quality by a country mile, if you want Tigers to compete at the top.
So I hope all these posters that are bringing up these stats, won’t be the same ones that are complaining that we haven’t given a young player a chance, when he moves to another club.