LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by RichieB »

Does anyone on here have any facts to confirm or deny the Itoje rumour? If he did come to us, I realise it would only be loan, I realise there would be the England games but it would be great to see him here. I just want to know whether I can justifiably be excited with the anticipation or if I should ignore it as a malicious rumour. I know it was on The Rugby Pass website yesterday, but I really don't want to get my hopes up.
Thanks.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RichieB wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:41 pm Does anyone on here have any facts to confirm or deny the Itoje rumour? If he did come to us, I realise it would only be loan, I realise there would be the England games but it would be great to see him here. I just want to know whether I can justifiably be excited with the anticipation or if I should ignore it as a malicious rumour. I know it was on The Rugby Pass website yesterday, but I really don't want to get my hopes up.
Thanks.
It is just at the rumour stage at present, though I wouldn’t describe it as malicious.
Someone tweeted Welcome to Leicester Tigers Maro Itoje, which they then changed to Well come to Leicester.
The original tweet was picked up by Jim Hamilton and he mentioned it on the rugby pod, and it has gained steam since then.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'd be happy with Itoje coming in even if it was only a loan for a season. It'd be good for the young lads to have him around and give us time to sign a good long termer or bring the youth through.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

..could certainly live with it , should it happen.Great player, some benefit , but would always prefer a long term option....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

he was allegedly seen in Kibworth this week but I stress ALLEGEDLY. No other evidence other than what a friend had heard I believe from a Kibworth resident. If we can afford him yes but not on a loan deal
Hehehehehehehehe
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Am I the only one who wouldn’t want any Saracens players on loan, regardless of who they are? Happily negotiate permanent moves for any of the likes of Itoje, Kruis, Isiekwe, Kpoku, but want players committed long term to the club.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:26 am Am I the only one who wouldn’t want any Saracens players on loan, regardless of who they are? Happily negotiate permanent moves for any of the likes of Itoje, Kruis, Isiekwe, Kpoku, but want players committed long term to the club.
Possibly yes you are but a season long loan is not much different from a years contract especially if they are playing in the championship.
Certainly wouldn’t want all the Sarries players but anyone of Itoje, Billy, or Farrell would be great
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Having Maro on a loan will good in my opinion, a lock partnership of him and Lavanini could be immense. Yes he will be away with England but I think in terms of the current options available and the current financial situation I think it would be a good idea to have him for the season.

I imagine Sarries are desperate to keep him so hopefully they would be willing to still play a large chunk of his salary and we would only have to pay with what Spencer was on.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:11 am he was allegedly seen in Kibworth this week but I stress ALLEGEDLY. No other evidence other than what a friend had heard I believe from a Kibworth resident. If we can afford him yes but not on a loan deal
I wonder how many 6ft 6, 19 stone well spoken African men with dreads are seen in Kibworth. 😂
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect a number of Sarries players who get loaned out won't return - if they did they would be back over the cap again.

Some will be lost to retirement and contracts ending but a number who get "loaned out" will never return.

I know it's wishful thinking but wouln't it be great to have an on field leader with his ability?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:26 am Am I the only one who wouldn’t want any Saracens players on loan, regardless of who they are? Happily negotiate permanent moves for any of the likes of Itoje, Kruis, Isiekwe, Kpoku, but want players committed long term to the club.
No you are not the only one. Itoje is one of the best players I have ever seen, and I'd love to have him as a full-time Tiger. But he is unapologetically Saracens and all we would ever be for him is a port in a storm. Leicester Tigers is not a 'waiting room'. We would be handing over wads of cash so that MI could play for England and the British Lions before going back to a club that had demonstrated little or no regard for Tigers in recent years.

I understand the argument that the youngsters would learn from him, but there are other players out there who can show the youngsters what it takes, who would be completely committed to Tigers. The sort of influence that George Smith had at Wasps.

If there is any money going around I would want it going to players who are absolutely committed to playing for Tigers. The likes of Reffell et al.

He is a marvellous player, and every time I see him in an England shirt I think we stand a chance of winning. But the days of the short term fix at Tigers have to be over for us to be successful in the long term.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

You could make a reasonable argument for Itoje being The Best Player in the World. I'll take him whichever way he comes and for however long.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Irrespective of his Sarries connections, I'd be very excited to see Itoje in a Tigers shirt. Sure it would cost us, but would this not be a little offset by England credits or whatever? Whilst there are a few one club players, they are few and far between and I think Genge's interview with Haskell a few months ago gave a good insight into the mindset of both players and clubs these days. Players are often a commodity to be traded and the idea of loyalty to a club is (sadly) no longer uppermost in a players mind and perhaps that is to be expected.
I agree with Mark that there is little difference between a 1 year loan contract and a 1 or even 2 year permanent contract.
The guy is box office and we could do with something special to get the crowd to 20,000 and over again.
Re spotting him in Kibworth - the previous comment is right in as much he is fairly distinguishable. If he was wearing his scrum cap it would be even more recognisable!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:20 am
No you are not the only one. Itoje is one of the best players I have ever seen, and I'd love to have him as a full-time Tiger. But he is unapologetically Saracens and all we would ever be for him is a port in a storm. Leicester Tigers is not a 'waiting room'. We would be handing over wads of cash so that MI could play for England and the British Lions before going back to a club that had demonstrated little or no regard for Tigers in recent years.

I understand the argument that the youngsters would learn from him, but there are other players out there who can show the youngsters what it takes, who would be completely committed to Tigers. The sort of influence that George Smith had at Wasps.

If there is any money going around I would want it going to players who are absolutely committed to playing for Tigers. The likes of Reffell et al.

He is a marvellous player, and every time I see him in an England shirt I think we stand a chance of winning. But the days of the short term fix at Tigers have to be over for us to be successful in the long term.
If he were to come, and it is doubtful, I’m not aware that wads of cash have been mentioned, being on loan makes that less likely and Tigers would be in control of the situation, so they would pay what they can afford.
Your comparison with George Smith seems strange as surely that is exactly the sort of role you would want Itoje to play, and for those young second rows in the development squad to be on the same training paddock as him would only be beneficial.
Keeping his England place is an issue, but who knows what form the 6 nations will take, and the All Blacks have already said said they aren’t coming North in November.
As for the Lions he is going no matter where he is playing, imo as captain, but again at the moment that tour is by no means certain.
As for being unapologetically Saracens he is a professional athlete and therefore should give 100% for whatever shirt he wears
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Next season could be very strange with extra England commitment plus the season might be longer and not complete by the time the Lions depart. I don't like the idea if short term loans for us no matter who the player is, a two or three year contract is the minimum I would be happy with.
Would be interesting if Itoji is loaned to us say from July 1st and we have to complete 19/20 season before starting next would he play for us? Results only of passing interest to us but for teams looking at European places matches against a weakened Saracens team could distort final positions.