New Kit

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: New Kit

Post by Brutus »

I had no idea there was anything wrong with Umbro, how long has this been a thing? Is it simply the view of materialistic snobs with nothing else of consequence to occupy their time or is it the quality of Umbro kit suddenly terrible?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Brutus wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:41 pm I had no idea there was anything wrong with Umbro, how long has this been a thing? Is it simply the view of materialistic snobs with nothing else of consequence to occupy their time or is it the quality of Umbro kit suddenly terrible?
Seen by some as being a lower end soccer brand, rather than a major sportswear manufacturer, their apparent association with Sports Direct and their owner has not helped this.

I’m sure a few will be eating their words when the range is launched
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I don't really care about the make, but giving money to Mike Ashley is not something I'd do lightly. Saying that I haven't bought an England shirt since the 2007 world cup, and that was in a sale after it....
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ads wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:00 pm I don't really care about the make, but giving money to Mike Ashley is not something I'd do lightly. Saying that I haven't bought an England shirt since the 2007 world cup, and that was in a sale after it....
It could be worse it could be Umbro like the new England sponsor :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This weekend was supposed to be the time when the club were gonna release/preview new Samurai stock when we were supposed to play Saints at home obviously this was all pre-lockdown and I highly doubt the club will announce the new kit today as we would have seen some hints by now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ads wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:00 pm I don't really care about the make, but giving money to Mike Ashley is not something I'd do lightly. Saying that I haven't bought an England shirt since the 2007 world cup, and that was in a sale after it....
Don't see the problem. Canterbury are part of the same group as JD Sports, who have also had similar allegations thrown about but don't have a pantomime villain figurehead.

At the end of the day, Kukri or Canturbury, Adidas or Nike, or even Umbro, it's all going to be made in a far-eastern factory with working conditions we probably don't want to recognise.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Ha, ha, wondered how long it'd take for my post to be removed....mods are very strict on here, I can only assume they don't spend any time out in the real world! I mean just censor the word if its not picked by a swear filter....

Mike Ashleys recent response cv19 stuff should be enough to stop anyone willingly giving him any more money.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:23 pm
Don't see the problem. Canterbury are part of the same group as JD Sports, who have also had similar allegations thrown about but don't have a pantomime villain figurehead.

At the end of the day, Kukri or Canturbury, Adidas or Nike, or even Umbro, it's all going to be made in a far-eastern factory with working conditions we probably don't want to recognise.
This.

The problem is that if it's in a far eastern factory, happening to people who don't look like us, we can pretend it isn't happening.

If we're going to say no to Umbro on the Mike Ashley principle, then we should specifically source the most ethical supplier available. Or be hypocrites.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

then we should specifically source the most ethical supplier available.
Exactly. This is what should happen all the time, then the sweat shops would die out. But as you say, we're all hypocrites to some extent.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

glenn wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:09 am
chipnchase wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 pm Still trying to find a large black euro kit or the black and gold anniversary kit we did a few years ago... just incase anyones selling :smt023
I have the black euro players quality kit from years ago. Hardly worn, with a couple of minor pulls from washing. It's a 44 chest of that's any good. Happy to send it out for postage when I can get to the post office as I'm working atm.
Shirt arrived today! Thank you so much!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ads wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 pm
Exactly. This is what should happen all the time, then the sweat shops would die out. But as you say, we're all hypocrites to some extent.
Because we aren’t willing to buy, and therefore the club would be daft to sell, a shirt costing 3 figures. Could be done but the profit margin would disappear and the club would lose money.

And we’d then moan.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:12 pm
ads wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 pm
Because we aren’t willing to buy, and therefore the club would be daft to sell, a shirt costing 3 figures. Could be done but the profit margin would disappear and the club would lose money.

And we’d then moan.
And even if we were, somewhere along the line someone would start producing the three figure shirts in sweatshops again just to maximise the profit. It won't stop until there are enough better paying jobs in the locale of the sweatshops that their supply of workers dries up.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Looks like the shop are selling off all the old kit, I just bought a home shirt* for £12! Size guide is very weird though so no idea if it'll fit. Player quality ones are going for £20 at the moment as well.

*I know I said I wouldn't because of the bands on the arms not matching up with the body, but for £12 I reckon I can get over it.......
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ads wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 am Looks like the shop are selling off all the old kit, I just bought a home shirt* for £12! Size guide is very weird though so no idea if it'll fit. Player quality ones are going for £20 at the moment as well.

*I know I said I wouldn't because of the bands on the arms not matching up with the body, but for £12 I reckon I can get over it.......
Bargain and it won’t look so bad when it’s on
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

ads wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 am Looks like the shop are selling off all the old kit, I just bought a home shirt* for £12! Size guide is very weird though so no idea if it'll fit. Player quality ones are going for £20 at the moment as well.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just bought one myself :smt003
A2O