LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Locked
Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Mark62 » Mon May 11, 2020 10:23 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 pm
Of course he has a way to go.
Not many 21 year old Tightheads are fully ready
Agreed but I would expect him by the end of next season, with Cole being 34 by then, to be pushing to be the starting prop. The really good props have around a 10 year career at the top of their position.
I’m not saying he won’t make but next season could be his defining season imo

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Mon May 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Mark62 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:23 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 pm
Of course he has a way to go.
Not many 21 year old Tightheads are fully ready
Agreed but I would expect him by the end of next season, with Cole being 34 by then, to be pushing to be the starting prop. The really good props have around a 10 year career at the top of their position.
I’m not saying he won’t make but next season could be his defining season imo
See this is what I don’t get, the guys only 21 so how will next season be defining in his career? Give the guy 4-5 seasons and see if he makes it, what’s the worst that can happen, we already know he can scrummage so at worst he’ll be a good squad player. At best he’ll be an international tighthead. Any of the above is still a success for Heyes and the academy.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Mark62 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:05 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:51 pm
Mark62 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:23 pm
RagingBull wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 pm
Of course he has a way to go.
Not many 21 year old Tightheads are fully ready
Agreed but I would expect him by the end of next season, with Cole being 34 by then, to be pushing to be the starting prop. The really good props have around a 10 year career at the top of their position.
I’m not saying he won’t make but next season could be his defining season imo
See this is what I don’t get, the guys only 21 so how will next season be defining in his career? Give the guy 4-5 seasons and see if he makes it, what’s the worst that can happen, we already know he can scrummage so at worst he’ll be a good squad player. At best he’ll be an international tighthead. Any of the above is still a success for Heyes and the academy.
Of course you’re right about him being a squad player and we all hope he will be better than that.
Certain nations are bringing props through younger these days and I would like to see him start to make that step up. All my opinion of course

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by kk20gb30 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:47 am

Thus far Joe Hayes has progressed continually - no reason to suppose he will not continue to do so.His best years are undoubtedly in front of him and he has some awfully good teachers around him.A competitive culture within The Club can and should see ability come to the fore although in his chosen position experience is vital - and that you cant teach.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility ......... Not long or far to go now......

sk 88
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by sk 88 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:10 am

Mark62 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm
I can understand what people say about Heyes but for me he still has a little way to go.
As the season progressed he seemed to slip to 3rd choice behind Lady Gaga.
With Borthwicks arrival, and Cole turning 33 imo this has to be his push on season or he may be overtaken
I think it is more that Leatigaga was being used as a high impact sub. Heyes started more games than Leatigaga, and continued to be preferred to him to start. Leatigaga was used almost exclusively off the bench, I think 1 or 2 starts from his 19 games.

23 man game, horses for courses etc
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!

brooksey845
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by brooksey845 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

More than happy with Heyes development would Cole being as good as he is without how he was rotated with Castro and White. I don't think so Heyes is doing real nice. Borthwick will be good for him as well.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7189
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by JP14 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:27 pm

Saw this tweet from the OfficialTigersUltras which I believe is what Big Jim used when talking about rumours on the Rugby Pod

https://twitter.com/Tigersultras/status ... 99522?s=20

But they then back-tracked with this:

https://twitter.com/Tigersultras/status ... 02145?s=20

Not sure if the mistake was genuine.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by TigerBoy1880 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Reckon we could lure any of these to Tigers?

https://www.ruck.co.uk/list-5-superstar ... right-now/

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 10064
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by RagingBull » Tue May 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Not sure I would want any of those 5 TBH.
Outside of Retallick who would be way out of our price range.

AusTiger
Tiger Cub
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:35 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by AusTiger » Tue May 12, 2020 4:46 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/maro-ito ... -rugby-pod

I'd be happy with this if even for a year. Those young locks coming through would hopefully see that top quality work ethic it takes to be of a World Class standard.

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1083
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by ABClub » Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm

I'd love to see any of Retallick, Pocock or Read in Tigers colours but all will be out of budget now.

Similar with Itoje. One of the best locks in the world but surely not affordable. Spencer, Kalamafoni and May are the main players still needing replaced so there's a bit of cap space to play with but I doubt we will be spending up to the cap next season.

There are also rumours that the marquee player system will be dropped in the nearish future - naturally there would need to be a delay in that rule change due to contracts already signed.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4710
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by sam16111986 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:48 pm

ABClub wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm
I'd love to see any of Retallick, Pocock or Read in Tigers colours but all will be out of budget now.

Similar with Itoje. One of the best locks in the world but surely not affordable. Spencer, Kalamafoni and May are the main players still needing replaced so there's a bit of cap space to play with but I doubt we will be spending up to the cap next season.

There are also rumours that the marquee player system will be dropped in the nearish future - naturally there would need to be a delay in that rule change due to contracts already signed.
Retallick has turned down the chance to play for the Chiefs in the NZ tournament. Apparently he is on his farm giving his body a rest and intends to stay that way. Don't blame him, if he waits for the next Japan season he'll have given his body a lot of time off and if he keeps working on his S&C will probably be in his best shape in years.

I doubt many of the Kiwis or Aussies will be in a rush to leave home given the low rate of infection and more lenient measures down under compared to England and France.

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2684
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Barrowford, near the Witches

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club » Tue May 12, 2020 6:59 pm

Why would we sign Itoje on loan, we would have him for a few games, England, The Lions & the cheats would be the main beneficiaries.

Good player, but I have real reservations about some of his on field antics & he is complicit in the cheating
To win is not as important as playing with style!

northerntiger
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by northerntiger » Tue May 12, 2020 7:50 pm

I don't think we should be looking to sign anyone on loan. Rugby is, probably more than any other, a team game. Look at the most successful sides. Us, Exeter, Sarries, won with a team ethic, not a group of stars.the only exception I can think to this was Toulon in the Wilkinson era.
In rugby, you have to put your body on the line for your team, be it in Midlands 2 North or England. Or Sils, Rugby Lions or whichever amateur team you play for. How many World Cup winning All Blacks have really starred for their respective clubs? How many of our big signings have flopped?

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3308
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by BFG » Tue May 12, 2020 8:15 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:11 pm
Of course he has a way to go.
Not many 21 year old Tightheads are fully ready
Quite right.
21 is still a baby for some, not all but some.
Bones may or may not already be near peak, it's into the unknown.
If they do harden yet though in an already very strong youngster then watch out, boom!
Last edited by BFG on Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests