LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:25 am Not sure I would say 2 hours is "rapid"
Anyway realistically he's going to be 2 years off Premiership rugby at least.

Say 2 seasons at Richmond (Which has a few medical students in it already Former academy Captain Ed Milne for example) or something like that with him playing A league during the term times.
or a season in Nat 1 with Rosslyn, then a season in the championship.

But in any case Lavin should get plenty of chances in the A league at 6 as the squad stands.
The train from London takes just over an hour. The aim with electrification was to get it below an hour.

The colleges named were UCL (20 mins walk from St Pancras) and Imperial (c.20 mins on the tube, Piccadilly line). Players literally did that same commute back in the 30s for games, it is pretty easily done if there is a will to do it, which there sounds like there is. For instance, if we train from 9.30 to 11.30am you can be back in London for afternoon lectures starting at 2pm, or vice versa do lectures from 8am to lunchtime then afternoon sessions here.

As you say physically he will need a year at least of development so prior to all this spending a year full time medical, part time rugby before potentially switching down the line seems a good compromise.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

sk 88 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:22 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:25 am Not sure I would say 2 hours is "rapid"

Say 2 seasons at Richmond (Which has a few medical students in it already Former academy Captain Ed Milne for example) or something like that with him playing A league during the term times.

But in any case Lavin should get plenty of chances in the A league at 6 as the squad stands.
The train from London takes just over an hour. The aim with electrification was to get it below an hour.

The colleges named were UCL (20 mins walk from St Pancras) and Imperial (c.20 mins on the tube, Piccadilly line). Players literally did that same commute back in the 30s for games, it is pretty easily done if there is a will to do it, which there sounds like there is. For instance, if we train from 9.30 to 11.30am you can be back in London for afternoon lectures starting at 2pm, or vice versa do lectures from 8am to lunchtime then afternoon sessions here.

As you say physically he will need a year at least of development so prior to all this spending a year full time medical, part time rugby before potentially switching down the line seems a good compromise.
I really wonder what travel on the train to St Pancras and travel on any London Underground will be like in the next few months or even years ahead with congestion and spacing.
I yearn to get back to my seat in the Crumbie with all the good friends around me but wonder when ~ stay safe Johnthegriff too. :smt027
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It all depends on what Illione wants, perhaps a chat with Dr Roberts would do him the world of good?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:50 pm It all depends on what Illione wants, perhaps a chat with Dr Roberts would do him the world of good?
Or even Ed Milne. The two are treading very similar paths. Whilst I always hoped that Milne would come back to Tigers I wouldn't say he's as big a talent as Ilione though.

England U20s performances will probably have some influence as standout impact there will put him in Eddie Jones eye.

Getting into medical school is a long process and he will have had plenty of careers advice all the way.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

So does anyone know what EQP are out of contract who play in the back three are?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

UCL works really well and for the first year digs are in and around Euston

As long as the club sorts him his train tickets and cab fares it’s very doable - it will all be about commitment.

Once he’s settled and in the groove sign him on a longer term contract
sk 88 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:22 am

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think if the club is to fund Train and cab fares they will all count on the salary cap and as benefit in kind. Our training tends to be from about 10.00 am until about 3,00 pm four days a week with variations depending on when matches are played, a different schedule if games are on a Friday Saturday or Sunday, this of course is for the first team but Development benefit greatly by training with the first team, of course there is an effect if the younger guys are involved in a Monday night fixture.
Life was so much simpler when training was 7,00 till 9.00pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays with games at 3.00pm Saturday.
I am keeping well, I thank those that have expressed good wishes and hope they too are all staying safe. I too want to get back to my seat in the Crumbie, I am fed up with standing in line at Aldi being the highlight of my week, I am also fed up with receiving texts, letters and emails telling me not to go out, I refuse to accept an opinion that declares me old and vulnerable no matter how well intended that opinion is.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:58 pm Here you go LTT
https://www.ruck.co.uk/full-list-of-52- ... of-season/
Cheers, so even less than I thought, hardly inspiring.

Sharples
Yarde
Short
Lewington
M. Watson
Walker
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Marcus Watson would be a good signing.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:08 pm Marcus Watson would be a good signing.
He'd also fit with the mention on LTTV of signing players who cover the back three rather than out and out wingers. Watson is a strong fullback as well as winger. He'd be a really solid signing to replace Holmes.

Mapimipi likewise would be a very good replacement for May.

14 May is the deadline for the South African players with offers elsewhere to opt out of their current contracts I believe. A lot of very good players available. Montpellier have tried to distance themselves from offering Pieter-Steph du Toit a contract. Quins thought to be another suitor.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:43 pm I think if the club is to fund Train and cab fares they will all count on the salary cap and as benefit in kind. Our training tends to be from about 10.00 am until about 3,00 pm four days a week with variations depending on when matches are played, a different schedule if games are on a Friday Saturday or Sunday, this of course is for the first team but Development benefit greatly by training with the first team, of course there is an effect if the younger guys are involved in a Monday night fixture.
Life was so much simpler when training was 7,00 till 9.00pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays with games at 3.00pm Saturday.
I am keeping well, I thank those that have expressed good wishes and hope they too are all staying safe. I too want to get back to my seat in the Crumbie, I am fed up with standing in line at Aldi being the highlight of my week, I am also fed up with receiving texts, letters and emails telling me not to go out, I refuse to accept an opinion that declares me old and vulnerable no matter how well intended that opinion is.
Just go back to the good old days and stick his travel expenses in a brown envelope in his boots 😉
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Agreed. I'd be very happy with either Watson or Lewington from that list. The rest, not so much.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

POSTIGER wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:06 pm
Agreed. I'd be very happy with either Watson or Lewington from that list. The rest, not so much.
Would take Lewington, he seems the most complete package and really refined his game at Saracens. Some seem to think he’s joining Tigers, whereas others are 100% certain he isn’t.

Not sure on Watson, has had his injury problems in the past. Yarde seems to have regained some good form, but will always have a black mark against his name for the fallout with Harlequins and his poor attitude.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

With Nadolo on the other wing and Veainu at full back, all we need is someone decent - any of that list would do. Save the pennies for other areas of the squad.

If Sarries can dominate Europe with Wyles as first choice winger, I reckon we would be fine with Marcus Watson.

James Short has won Premiership titles with Saracens and Chiefs, so signing him wouldn't be the factor that stops us from getting back to the top either.