Good job Burns has left Bath...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Good job Burns has left Bath...

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:19 pm I loved the end of that season he left,we had started to hit form and were playing some electric rugby! Could be wrong but I believe we won 3/4 on the bounce and I can't remember doing that since. Was it Sale we hammered in his last game at WR and both he and OW scored a try in their farewell games,the atmosphere that day hasnt been topped since imo. Cant help but think what wouldve happend if AM hadve been kept on for the next season!
If AM had been kept on we'd definitely have been relegated. A comparative fail wherever he has been as a coach, as has MOC. We certainly knew how to pick them, but then I'd include Meyer too.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:19 pm I loved the end of that season he left,we had started to hit form and were playing some electric rugby! Could be wrong but I believe we won 3/4 on the bounce and I can't remember doing that since. Was it Sale we hammered in his last game at WR and both he and OW scored a try in their farewell games,the atmosphere that day hasnt been topped since imo. Cant help but think what wouldve happend if AM hadve been kept on for the next season!
If AM had been kept on we'd definitely have been relegated. A comparative fail wherever he has been as a coach, as has MOC. We certainly knew how to pick them, but then I'd include Meyer too.
Yes ,and youre completely neutral when it comes to Mauger 🤣🤣🤣👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:15 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Yes ,and youre completely neutral when it comes to Mauger 🤣🤣🤣👍
From what I can see, Mauger's only other Head Coach job is his current one at Highlanders, who do appear to have performed steadily worse (in terms of results) each season since he took over. Couldn't tell you whether that's his fault or not, but there's nothing to suggest he would have been a great success at Tigers.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Loved watching Freddie play for us. Fantastic player to watch, a proper 'bums on seats' kind of player. Wish him all the best wherever he goes. I think Bath would have finished higher last season if they'd favoured Freddie over Priestland. RP is very much a meat and drink FH whereas Freddie has a bit of magic about him. Tailor-made for French rugby I would suggest.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

France would be beneficial to both parties....Seem to remember Ryan Lamb having something of an Indian Summer out there , a move to a country where flair is lauded would be great for Freddie B
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Ed Slater and Freddie Burns were both massive losses for us. They were real Tigers, and should have been retained.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm Ed Slater and Freddie Burns were both massive losses for us. They were real Tigers, and should have been retained.
Slater, yes in spades, we have really missed him.
Burns in theory yes, but Ford is a better player.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:36 pm Ed Slater and Freddie Burns were both massive losses for us. They were real Tigers, and should have been retained.
Burns didn’t want to stay as number two to Ford. Ford is a far better player. He also wants to be number one anywhere as he is leaving Bath where he can’t get that position. Which says something.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well when you're behind Priestland in the pecking order at Bath, I find it quite understandable for someone of Freddie's ability to seek employment elsewhere.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:57 pm Well when you're behind Priestland in the pecking order at Bath, I find it quite understandable for someone of Freddie's ability to seek employment elsewhere.
That’s my point. Priestland is ahead of him.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It sounded like you were portraying Burns as someone who threw his toys out of the pram.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:18 pm
Slater, yes in spades, we have really missed him.
Burns in theory yes, but Ford is a better player.
I thought we should have persisted with Freddie at 15. He could have been a fantastic secondary playmaker for us and allowed us to look at fielding a far more physically dominant midfield.

Bath probably wouldn't have agreed to release Ford from the last season of his contract without getting Burns in return though. George is probably the best flyhalf in the league and kept us up last season so it was a good investment even if it was sad to see Freddie go.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

So I see he has confirmed he is off to Japan.

My own recollection of his time here was that, apart from clearly being a cracking bloke, we never really saw him at his best and his consistent best at that until it was announced he was leaving. And it is interesting to note that there have now been three 'top' clubs (ourselves, Gloucester and Bath) that have felt when push comes to a shove that they didn't want to keep him.

Without doubt I wish him well and hope this is a great move for him.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Confirmed that Burns is off to Japan to Toyota Shokki. Wish him all the best and what an experienced to have in your life.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:16 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:57 pm Well when you're behind Priestland in the pecking order at Bath, I find it quite understandable for someone of Freddie's ability to seek employment elsewhere.
That’s my point. Priestland is ahead of him.
Priestland over Burns isn't a strong argument given that Bath are mid-table.