Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by trendylfj »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:11 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:42 pm If Thompstone is off as well we will need to sign at least one experienced winger/back 3, it might be a case for TV going back on the wing.
Not a ridiculous suggestion. Worth and Steward obviously both capable at 15 as are SAR and Olowofela to an extent.

Still a fair few options, although a player like Hughes would be welcome, or even a contract extension to Thompstone, who probably has earned the offer of another 12 months at least.
I have just watched the vid and some of his language left me doubting the underlying character - as a rugby player yes as a person no
Hehehehehehehehe
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I have just watched the vid and some of his language left me doubting the underlying character - as a rugby player yes as a person no
Who?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Browning could be the next Tom Varndell in my opinion but we can’t just leave it on his shoulders next season, we have to sign a replacement even if Hughes’ move becomes permanent.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:22 am Browning could be the next Tom Varndell in my opinion but we can’t just leave it on his shoulders next season...
And with social distancing there won’t be an opportunity to teach him how to tackle before next season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ads wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:06 am
Who?
Rory Hughes hosted a drunk social media Q&A. Some of his comments were at best ill-advised. He made little impact whilst he was here and this video will have probably scuppered any chance of us retaining him.

I think the links already been posted but there's a summary here;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesco ... -tips/amp/
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

I really hope Holmes stays. That would be awful if he left too. And can't see how he's going to make the Wales team either like others have mentioned. If he does go I think we definitely need a big signing to show intent etc and not leave it to the youth. As for Hughes? Didn't really see anything special from him last year to warrant a permanent contract sadly.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

I wouldn't have used 'ace' and 'star' either as I couldn't consider him either of those things.......
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Well, that's a pretty stupid thing for Rory Hughes to have done.

Separately from that, I saw very little in his few games for us to suggest there's any reason to sign him permanently.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

We need quality proven wingers like Nadolo or May/ Holmes not 16 stoners that struggle to run through a fly half.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Whilst Olowofela, Browning and Gilliand are all great prospects on the wing, none at the moment can fill the void if Holmes did leave.

Would expect us to bring in someone like Yarde, Lewington or Radwan, all who are already premiership standard wingers.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

What an idiot, we can send Hughes back to Glasgow now for me. We really don't need any more excuses for people to throw :censored: at us.

We could do with replacing Holmes if he goes, but I'd be happy for the rest of this season, IF it kicks in again, to be used to try out some of the younguns where they might be needed in the future. This season doesn't matter so if we do get some games after the lock down finishes, treat it as an extra long pre season with the bonus of top tier europe if we do well.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

To lose Holmes aswell as May would be awful, him departing would leaves us with Nadolo, could be a hit or miss, really depends where his head is at, Aspland-Robinson, broken at the moment and hasn’t shown much when he has played, Hughes, will for sure be heading back North and again has shown little quality or try scoring ability, Olowofela, Jury is still out if he is a top class winger, a quality coach needs some serious time with him, Thompson, hardly seen all season and is in his twilight years, Viljoen, surely will be shipped out at the end of the season, hardly featured and lacking quality.

As for recruitment, who is out there, who wants to play for the worse premiership team.

The back line looks so so weak, little quality or depth, SB really has a job on his hands!!! Good luck big man!!!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

If the young players who played quite a bit this season in the backs, are anything more than Championship standard, at best, then I am a Chinaman.

The standard of back play has been truly abysmal overall if you take out the stars, and that was compounded massively by truly awful coaching.

Borthwick must find a backs/ defence coach who can impart some wisdom....
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I really liked Bluecheese, sorry I cant spell his name, but he didn't have much of a chance, but what I did see I liked and I hoped they might have kept him on. He had pace and cut a dash. Where is he now? I'm certain he wouldn't cost very much, I don't want to exploit him but I'm sure he is worth another look.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good shout LE18,the only one who looked bothered at times! I'd love to see him back
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer