Jonah Holmes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Jonah Holmes

Post by RagingBull »

The worrying possibility is that we might not be able to afford to pay up to the cap now and we have let the welsh buy out his contract potentially.

According to the rugby paper 9 of the 12 clubs wanted to lower the cap.
So potentially 9 clubs will be looking to get rid of players (potentially).
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:36 pm The worrying possibility is that we might not be able to afford to pay up to the cap now and we have let the welsh buy out his contract potentially.

With the ones who didn't being named as Bath, Bristol and Exeter. No rebuffals yet from any clubs so that would suggest Tigers are cutting costs for next season. The lower cap that the clubs wanted was reported at £5.5m.

Holmes leaving is a big blow with Jonny already gone.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:36 pm The worrying possibility is that we might not be able to afford to pay up to the cap now and we have let the welsh buy out his contract potentially.

This a very good point.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jonah is neither better nor younger (28 in July) than his competitors for the Wales starting shirt. I really can't see an international career worthy of the name beckoning although, for his sake, I'd love to be wrong. So - Dragons or Tigers - no contest surely?

If the rumours are true, Tigers are not without cards to play. I'd be very surprised if Jonah was allowed to leave unless suitable alternative arrangements had been made and approved by GM, SB and JMcG. Such arrangements might be in the form of a direct replacement or possibly the use of his salary elsewhere.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

If Jonah wants to go then fine. I’m not sure how he will become a better player at The Dragons and you only have to look at Johnny May: joined us and though we struggled he himself admitted he became a much improved player here: both May and Ford became much more important players with England because of their performances in a struggling Tigers’ side.
I hope Jonah stays but I did think his performances this season have been indifferent, maybe his mind has been on other things, and personally see Olowofela as a much more promising prospect.
Strange attitude by Wales. If Holmes started to play like Johnny May then he would be picked even if he was at Tigers.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Jonah is a good player and an asset to our club, however he is not as good as Johnny May, he is a very useful squad player who we picked up from the Championship and developed, he should have played more in his first season but for MOC in my opinion wrongly preferred Malouf. Supposing the rumour to be true I have no idea if it is Jonah's idea to go or the clubs, at this stage in his career I think a move to Dragons is a backward step for him. As for Tigers I think Olowofela is potentially a great winger, Nadolo is obviously a good signing but due to age is short term. Browning is not yet ready to start in the Premiership, Aspland- Robinson could but he must stay fit. Steward could start at 15 releasing Veainu to the wing but just maybe we should be checking who is available at the right price, Lewington ?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Lewington from Sarries a fair call ; permanent deal, however , not a loan.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Jonah and the Wales then!!!!! Someone had to say it.......

Good luck and all the best for your future. :smt038
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 am Lewington from Sarries a fair call ; permanent deal, however , not a loan.
But a lot of people on here will go on about him being an previous player so he can't return.
He fits a lot of what we would be looking for.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

So, thinking aloud really and prompted primarily by the literary association, could Moriarty be coming the other way?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Or it could be that it is an opportunity to reduce salary spending and top drawer replacements for May and Holmes are not going to be signed.

The rugby world has changed and many clubs will have less buying power in the post-covid era until things get back to normal. The regions in Wales and Ireland are probably more secure as their funding comes less from attendance and direct sponsorship and more from the national level.

How long will it take to get back to normal is uncertain and some clubs may go to the wall before their finances recover. Tigers are no more exempt than other clubs. Will some of the sugar daddy clubs collapse if their funders suddenly find they lack the cash to indulge their pet clubs is yet to be seen.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

loretta wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:29 am So, thinking aloud really and prompted primarily by the literary association, could Moriarty be coming the other way?
Hehe, maybe a certain Watson from Bath?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lewington on loan might be a sensible idea, considering we might not have the sufficient funds to find a long-teem replacement until after next season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:58 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 am Lewington from Sarries a fair call ; permanent deal, however , not a loan.
But a lot of people on here will go on about him being an previous player so he can't return.
He fits a lot of what we would be looking for.
This is true , but each instance of a possible returnee should be judged on its own merits.
Lewington does tick an awful lot of boxes.Personally,should anything materialise, I'd still prefer a full time deal or loan on the basis of 'try before you buy', so to speak.We (should) develop players for ourselves , not the opposition.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:32 am Jonah is a good player and an asset to our club, however he is not as good as Johnny May, he is a very useful squad player who we picked up from the Championship and developed, he should have played more in his first season but for MOC in my opinion wrongly preferred Malouf. Supposing the rumour to be true I have no idea if it is Jonah's idea to go or the clubs, at this stage in his career I think a move to Dragons is a backward step for him. As for Tigers I think Olowofela is potentially a great winger, Nadolo is obviously a good signing but due to age is short term. Browning is not yet ready to start in the Premiership, Aspland- Robinson could but he must stay fit. Steward could start at 15 releasing Veainu to the wing but just maybe we should be checking who is available at the right price, Lewington ?
Agree he is a huge asset to Tigers, but a backward step? Jonah was signed from Yorkshire Carnegie almost certainly on a pittance especially as to what Johnny was on. Not as good player but still an electrifying pace and wonderful finishing skills. He's more likely to get a starting shirt at Scarlets, more money and a better opportunity to fight for an international cap. A step forward i'd say!