Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by kk20gb30 »

Possible Premiership return date :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52372525
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by JP14 »

Yes London has been hit hard but I’m sure I heard that they past their peak two weeks ago.

An option could be to host it at Old Trafford (ie a big football stadium used to being switched to the oval ball)?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:25 am Yes London has been hit hard but I’m sure I heard that they past their peak two weeks ago.

An option could be to host it at Old Trafford (ie a big football stadium used to being switched to the oval ball)?
Villa Park is a more central option as well or they could go up north to St James Park. Plenty of options. If those are the restart dates for rugby then the football season could be finishing around the time we start as they are rumoured to not want a full pre season style build up. That would be convenient.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I think it is highly unlikely these games will be played with fans in attendance - most of Europe who are ahead of the UK on the curve are banning all mass gatherings until September ish and I would think we would follow suit too........ eg Dutch football league likely to be called off, Berlin marathon rescheduled date in September now cancelled too..... all due to the extension of the mass gathering ban.

Cannot see all Premiership clubs getting through this without one or more going bust...........
Less is more....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I read this last night and I don't understand why "neutral venues" are being considered if it is going to be without spectators. Each club's home ground without spectators would work fine unless it is too difficult to arrange medical etc. They also say they don't want to take things away from the general public but ambulances etc have to be in attendance. if BT are involved so as to generate money they will want games spread out and midweek games as well - play Friday and Tuesday, Sat and Weds, as well as Sunday and Thursday etc - what happens if one team play on Friday and the team they are due to play next play on Sun. Very difficult - whatever they decide they won't please everyone is the only thing which is certain
Hehehehehehehehe
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

If we can get the current season finished behind closed doors it would release a lot more TV money and sponsorship that is currently being withheld.

Will be odd with nobody in the stadiums however its down to TV to fill this gap and refresh their coverage.

In regards to lost income from home crowds clubs will also lose the underlying cost so whilst there will be a drop in profit it wont be huge in the grand scheme of things, especially when you look at some of the clubs that don't average big gates.

To be honest I just want to be able to watch something new! The thought of being able to sit down and watch 6 Prem games from Friday night to Sunday is very much on my agenda right now! :smt002
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:00 pm I read this last night and I don't understand why "neutral venues" are being considered if it is going to be without spectators. Each club's home ground without spectators would work fine unless it is too difficult to arrange medical etc. They also say they don't want to take things away from the general public but ambulances etc have to be in attendance. if BT are involved so as to generate money they will want games spread out and midweek games as well - play Friday and Tuesday, Sat and Weds, as well as Sunday and Thursday etc - what happens if one team play on Friday and the team they are due to play next play on Sun. Very difficult - whatever they decide they won't please everyone is the only thing which is certain
I think its the option of holding 2 / 3 games at the same stadium to cut down on the need for multiple medical staff, tv crews etc. Kind of like Rugby Leagues Magic Weekend.

The existing fixture list can be reworked as well now, we're only two games passed the halfway point so they dont need to be played in the order they were marked down for.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I’d say the Millennium Stadium would be the next choice after Twickenham as that will have the medical facilities etc and space for numerous teams in one day and you’ve also got Cardiff Arms Park as a warm up pitch if the Blues are not at home.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's all pie in the sky anyway until Boris releases the medical staff,boxing is suffering badly too. They have to have numerous onsite paramedics as well as being close to a neurological unit,I expect the same with rugby due to concussions and due to the super spreading of the virus in hospitals who's going to risk going anywhere near one anyway if they dont have to!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm I’d say the Millennium Stadium would be the next choice after Twickenham as that will have the medical facilities etc and space for numerous teams in one day and you’ve also got Cardiff Arms Park as a warm up pitch if the Blues are not at home.
Thats a joke right?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

chipnchase wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:07 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 pm I’d say the Millennium Stadium would be the next choice after Twickenham as that will have the medical facilities etc and space for numerous teams in one day and you’ve also got Cardiff Arms Park as a warm up pitch if the Blues are not at home.
Thats a joke right?
No. Why?
philw
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by philw »

The Millennium Stadium is currently being used as a hospital, so probably not going to be used for rugby for a while.
Listening to the pouring rain
Waiting for the world to change
Beginning to wonder if we'll wait in vain
For one fine day
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

philw wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:25 pm The Millennium Stadium is currently being used as a hospital, so probably not going to be used for rugby for a while.
Oh yeah! So it is!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Asked whether there was any chance of people being able to play sport outside this summer, Mr Raab said this would be "difficult" due to the "level and scale of interaction".
But he added: "I think the professional sport may be different because of the scale of testing that they would be able to introduce."

Raaaaaaaab seems to be suggesting that there is a possibility of professional sport being able to return in the summer. We can but hope.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:26 pm Asked whether there was any chance of people being able to play sport outside this summer, Mr Raab said this would be "difficult" due to the "level and scale of interaction".
But he added: "I think the professional sport may be different because of the scale of testing that they would be able to introduce."

Raaaaaaaab seems to be suggesting that there is a possibility of professional sport being able to return in the summer. We can but hope.
It's all about testing isn't it. Once the "front line" testing is further along and there is some spare capacity then hopefully professional sport will be somewhere near the front of the queue.