LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by ABClub »

RB - That PDF was posted a few pages back and makes interesting reading. A lot of good players on it.

Karlen Asieshvili is a solid loosehead who wouldn't be expensive. Got a fair few Georgia caps largely against tier 2 nations a few years ago but the strength of Georgia at loosehead meant he was overtaken. I'd much rather the club held onto Gigena long term though. He's developed into a valuable squad player and very good scrummager.

Konstantin Mikautadze is a monster of a second row.

Gillian Galan is a cracking carrier at 8 but will most likely stay in France.

Ben Volavola is good fullback as well as 10. He could free up Veainu to play wing and Hardwick to get game time at 12.

Abendanon is still a good player too if he's going cheap. He could do a similar job to Strettle at Sarries last season.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The Tongan Bear is a legend..

Some very interesting names on that list, would take Ben Smith anytime.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:59 pm The Tongan Bear is a legend..

Some very interesting names on that list, would take Ben Smith anytime.
Rumoured to be heading to Japan. Sounds like injuries have caught up with him somewhat so he's targeting the shorter season to prolong his career. It certainly worked for Richard Kahui who is still playing in Japan 8 years after it looked like his career was over.

Smith was the best fullback in the world in his prime. Just a brilliant all round rugby player.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tulou could be a good pick up.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 pm Aus rugby basically going to allow prem and Japan to bail them out. After Toomua situation I wouldn't do it.
The only one would possibly be Kuridrani as he could cover Manu if International rugby is going to be busy in the AI period next year.
Would agree here...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I do hope that Gigena is able to re-sign, and I agree with RagingBull that Bateman is currently no longer able to produce the standards he did in 2017/18 but that's nothing against the bloke he is a great guy and is worth keeping for the rest of his rugby career especially if he is able to recover in the scrum, an area which I especially thought he struggled in this season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The Yarde rumours seem to have died down, if they were even ever there ? The Holmes RP piece mentions that we're looking for an English wing, potentially.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:23 am I do hope that Gigena is able to re-sign, and I agree with RagingBull that Bateman is currently no longer able to produce the standards he did in 2017/18 but that's nothing against the bloke he is a great guy and is worth keeping for the rest of his rugby career especially if he is able to recover in the scrum, an area which I especially thought he struggled in this season.
Really believe the only thing preventing Gigena's return is the current situation re coronavirus. So many sports and sporting institutions simply treading water and trying to wait things out.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:24 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:23 am I do hope that Gigena is able to re-sign, and I agree with RagingBull that Bateman is currently no longer able to produce the standards he did in 2017/18 but that's nothing against the bloke he is a great guy and is worth keeping for the rest of his rugby career especially if he is able to recover in the scrum, an area which I especially thought he struggled in this season.
Really believe the only thing preventing Gigena's return is the current situation re coronavirus. So many sports and sporting institutions simply treading water and trying to wait things out.
Agreed on Bateman, great guy and we’ll never forget some of his barnstorming tries in open play. However, he’s always been a bit shaky at scrumtime, especially more recently. Gigena on the other hand seems to be improving all the time. Leatigaga at loosehead with Heyes at tighthead has also been proven to be a fierce unit and demolished some other scrums in the premiership.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Perhaps Bateman should go back to the No 2 shirt
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:57 pm Perhaps Bateman should go back to the No 2 shirt
Add some beef to the stock.
Far too much common sense.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

BFG wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:57 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:57 pm Perhaps Bateman should go back to the No 2 shirt
Big fan of Greg's but his move to tighthead and latterly loosie was precipitated by his lineout work being really poor. In his few Tigers apps at hooker he made Polota-Nau's darts this season look outstanding. There were calls at one time to only play Bateman at hooker if Harry Thacker was at 7 to throw in.

I still think Greg is a valuable squad member but if we want to keep targeting the scrum as a weapon then Gigena has definitely overtaken him. Leatigaga probably as well on the loosehead with Heyes coming through so well.

Genge will be away with England more and more. Leatigaga will surely get a Samoa recall with his fitness improved. So that depth at prop is needed.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ABClub wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:05 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:57 pm
Big fan of Greg's but his move to tighthead and latterly loosie was precipitated by his lineout work being really poor. In his few Tigers apps at hooker he made Polota-Nau's darts this season look outstanding. There were calls at one time to only play Bateman at hooker if Harry Thacker was at 7 to throw in.

I still think Greg is a valuable squad member but if we want to keep targeting the scrum as a weapon then Gigena has definitely overtaken him. Leatigaga probably as well on the loosehead with Heyes coming through so well.

Genge will be away with England more and more. Leatigaga will surely get a Samoa recall with his fitness improved. So that depth at prop is needed.
Thacker's darts were good.
Problem is that good darts are not the only element in the construction of a good line out, in particular on pressure line outs that are often contested more keenly.
Good coaching and communication etc all of which have been absent in recent years with cliques, sackings and general churn.
Like others I'd back Bateman to be better under Borthwick, if allowed.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

BFG wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:58 pm Thacker's darts were good.
Problem is that good darts are not the only element in the construction of a good line out, in particular on pressure line outs that are often contested more keenly.
Good coaching and communication etc all of which have been absent in recent years with cliques, sackings and general churn.
Like others I'd back Bateman to be better under Borthwick, if allowed.
Agree will all that 100%. A big pet peeve of mine is people not understanding that a hooker isn't he only one at fault for a failing lineout.

Whilst Bateman joined the season after Parling and Louis Deacon (and to an extent Thorn) leaving had hit the second row hard the lineout had yet to become the shambles it is now. Slates was still around, Kitchener was in better form in 2015, Mike Fitzgerald had an excellent first season and Seb de Chaves was an able back up. Crofty when fit was an unbelievable jumper as well of course.

Ghirildini was a good set-piece exponent and Harry Thacker was excellent when he got his break due to injuries. Youngs has shown his best lineout form throughout his England and Tigers career with Parling so did see a dip then IMO.

Basically what I'm saying is that I agree 100% with your point on coaching, communication and trust between individuals in the lineout. However Bateman was poor during a time with a much better set-piece overall.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Gigena has probably moved ahead of Bateman in selection terms.

That doesn't mean we need to let Bateman go - he's got plenty to offer and is probably our most skilful prop - it means that him and Boris need to get to work at Oval Park to try and get back to where he was.