If Sarries hadnt been relegated ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

If Sarries hadnt been relegated ?

Post by fortysix »

What would have happened IF Sarries had not transgressed, and we were bottom when the lights went out due to Corvid-19 ?

Would the Board have put up a legal fight against automatic relegation ?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: If Sarries hadnt been relegated ?

Post by kk20gb30 »

'ifs' and 'buts' thank goodness.
Without a doubt though we should be forever grateful for Sarries being nailed and punished for their transgressions.Timely.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Theoretically speaking, if Saracens hadn't been found guilty I would argue this season had the grounds to be written off like the Women's league so relegation or promotion would have been unlikely.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am Theoretically speaking, if Saracens hadn't been found guilty I would argue this season had the grounds to be written off like the Women's league so relegation or promotion would have been unlikely.
Spot on JP14, the Saracens situation as well as the Falcons winning the championship at a canter means an easy solution
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:38 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 am Theoretically speaking, if Saracens hadn't been found guilty I would argue this season had the grounds to be written off like the Women's league so relegation or promotion would have been unlikely.
Spot on JP14, the Saracens situation as well as the Falcons winning the championship at a canter means an easy solution
Very much so. Given we are only 2 points behind Worcester and could point to Wasps getting three good results and flying up the table as to could happen once we got our England internationals back.

Home games (where we have been far stronger) against Quins, Irish and Bath were all very winnable. The away game Vs Glaws who were in free fall as well. We'd have pointed to those and demanded some consideration. Who knows we might still see the season completed. The Covid lockdown could be eased by the end of May and a month and a half of games behind closed doors could pretty much get it done (without playoffs).
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Don't expect it. The deaths now come from the period before social distancing (Ave 23 days from infection). We won't know the effect of distancing for another two weeks and then need several weeks if the exponential curve flattens to check it is working (despite the political :censored: this is what epidemiologists are saying). To prevent a second wave distancing if successful would continue so we are looking at the end of May easily. No club is going to risk a big law suit from a player forced to play nor PRL a player class action. There won't be a public vaccine this side of Xmas with proper accreditation which requires independent double blind placebo trials. So if all the ducks are in a row, safest restart is friendlies behind closed doors in August IMO.
Currently people are dying at an accelerating rate, and my daughter has been called back on the frontline having had the virus (as I have); she reckoned nothing back to vaguely normal until 2021. The next crisis is food, not just crop picking with few migrants but my neighbour works in food supply logistics at an international level and he says stores are almost zero with poor logistic prognosis.
Please don't get too optimistic.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:32 pm Don't expect it. The deaths now come from the period before social distancing (Ave 23 days from infection). We won't know the effect of distancing for another two weeks and then need several weeks if the exponential curve flattens to check it is working (despite the political :censored: this is what epidemiologists are saying). To prevent a second wave distancing if successful would continue so we are looking at the end of May easily. No club is going to risk a big law suit from a player forced to play nor PRL a player class action. There won't be a public vaccine this side of Xmas with proper accreditation which requires independent double blind placebo trials. So if all the ducks are in a row, safest restart is friendlies behind closed doors in August IMO.
Currently people are dying at an accelerating rate, and my daughter has been called back on the frontline having had the virus (as I have); she reckoned nothing back to vaguely normal until 2021. The next crisis is food, not just crop picking with few migrants but my neighbour works in food supply logistics at an international level and he says stores are almost zero with poor logistic prognosis.
+1
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Who knows.

The actions of the club suggested that they knew Sarries were set to be relegated. The alternative was they were in utter denial.

Both probably are close to the truth.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think the right thing would have been for Tigers to be relegated, assuming the season couldn't be completed. Hard to deny Newcastle should be promoted, so someone had to go down. How can that be anyone but the team bottom of the league?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Saracens were the team at the bottom. Tigers form since our players returned fro the World Cup would put us on a trajectory that would have seen us finish about 8th or 9th. Not good but sufficient to make a case for not being relegated by committee, happily Saracens prevent the need for speculation on the leagues outcome at the bottom.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tbh I'm gutted in Sarries relegation because weve most probably stayed up by default,nothing to be proud of at all!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm Saracens were the team at the bottom. Tigers form since our players returned fro the World Cup would put us on a trajectory that would have seen us finish about 8th or 9th. Not good but sufficient to make a case for not being relegated by committee, happily Saracens prevent the need for speculation on the leagues outcome at the bottom.
8th or 9th? We finished 11th last season with the RWC players 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree with JohntheGriff, we had a good run of home games plus a promising performance at Saracens that merited at least a point. Certainly not top6 but I don't think we would have finished 11th.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Last season we had the odd big result but we just survived.

We may have only had the Internationals back for a short time before the 6N started our form with and without them was hardly going to have many sides showing concern. That was the same last season too.

For a long time we have not been the sum of the parts.

The relegation of Sarries probably saved us. Hopefully Borthwick will have time to make us into a team again before the return of the Premiership next season. I think this season is probably finished so if the world returns to normal our new head coach may get a good pre-season with players well rested and recovered after the short season.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:32 pm Don't expect it. The deaths now come from the period before social distancing (Ave 23 days from infection). We won't know the effect of distancing for another two weeks and then need several weeks if the exponential curve flattens to check it is working (despite the political :censored: this is what epidemiologists are saying). To prevent a second wave distancing if successful would continue so we are looking at the end of May easily. No club is going to risk a big law suit from a player forced to play nor PRL a player class action. There won't be a public vaccine this side of Xmas with proper accreditation which requires independent double blind placebo trials. So if all the ducks are in a row, safest restart is friendlies behind closed doors in August IMO.
My massive thanks to your brave daughter and its great news that you have both recovered from the virus :smt038
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity