LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by TA30 »

Brink should be the man slotting into 8. He's a big lump who likes to carry hard. He's played flanker at the Lions because Warren Whitely was at 8 and he's an outstanding player. I think I'm right in saying Brink moved to 8 last season whilst Whitely was injured and did well. I imagine we might keep Coghlan for another season and with our links to Notts be able to bring Boladau as and when we need too. As long as Notts can afford to keep him that is.

I don't think we'll necessarily go out and spend big on another backrow after confirming our three development backrow players have signed senior deals. Smith, Gough and Lavin are all likely to be in more action next season, they all played some Championship games last season.
[/quote]

Agreed on all that Sam, I'm happy if brink is our 8, hanro-brink-taufua has a great all action feel to it. Just want to make sure there is competition for places and 8 feels light, notwithstanding I've not seen much of the development guys.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gutted about Guy,we would be in the Championship it it wasnt for him and Ford.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We shouldnt forget Liebenberg can play 8 either,although hes a better 6.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We do need another back rower but I don't feel like it has to be a certain position TBH.

Looking at the prem only back rowers coming out of contract still
Bath - Matt Garvey, Levi Douglas
Exeter - Matt Kvesic,
Gloucester - Ludlow (?)
Harlequins - Renaldo Bothma,
Irish - Cowan (?), Northcote-Green
Saints - Wood
Saracens - Rhoades, Clark
Wasps - Young, Carr, Johnson, Sheilds (?)
Worcester - Marco Mama

Kvesic and Young would be good replacements for Thompson.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It was tongue in cheek 😂.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bothma wouldn’t be a bad pickup.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:51 pm We do need another back rower but I don't feel like it has to be a certain position TBH.

Looking at the prem only back rowers coming out of contract still
Bath - Matt Garvey, Levi Douglas
Exeter - Matt Kvesic,
Gloucester - Ludlow (?)
Harlequins - Renaldo Bothma,
Irish - Cowan (?), Northcote-Green
Saints - Wood
Saracens - Rhoades, Clark
Wasps - Young, Carr, Johnson, Sheilds (?)
Worcester - Marco Mama

Kvesic and Young would be good replacements for Thompson.
Marco Mama has always impressed me for Worcester, reminds me of Thompson in that he is a workhorse and seems to challenge at all the breakdowns
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Out - Polota-Nau, Cortes, Spencer, Thompson, Kalamafoni (and OTYs significantly reduced salary)
In - Mamukashvili, Brink

I'd still be hoping for really strong starters being signed at lock and back row looking at those outgoings (some still rumours) salary cap wise.

Lock is the more specific signing given we need a starter and lineout leader. The versatility of Taufua, Liebenberg and Brink means the back row signing could be anywhere.

Alemanno is an excellent player but my one worry would be the quota of two foreign players on the pitch at once. That would mean we couldn't play Lavanini, Alemanno and Mamukashvili in the same starting XV unless one of the 3 holds dual nationality that circumvents those rules (i.e. James Horwill holding a UK passport). If they are our first choice locks and hooker that'd be a blow.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Sad to see guy leave like others have said he pretty much kept us up last season. He was a player who always played with his heart on his sleeve and played with passion which has sadly been lacking at times over the last two seasons
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And the posts have started on other forums saying its disgraceful how weve treated him,didnt take long!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm really sad that we are losing Guy Thomson, he was one of my favourites, its amazing that excellent players can be discarded because of their age.
I'm also sure that Adam Thompstone will not be with us next season, another who gave his all for us and I think the same age.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:59 pm I'm really sad that we are losing Guy Thomson, he was one of my favourites, its amazing that excellent players can be discarded because of their age.
I'm also sure that Adam Thompstone will not be with us next season, another who gave his all for us and I think the same age.
I think it’s false to say it’s just because of his age, it’s his age plus his injury record. As RB posted he had only been in the side 3 times since early December.

Other forums need to note that the meeting took place before the season lock down occurred
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

A shame. Guy is one of the few to have shown the kind of determination and leadership that we're in desperate need of.

There are a few others I'd release before I got to him.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:28 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:59 pm I'm really sad that we are losing Guy Thomson, he was one of my favourites, its amazing that excellent players can be discarded because of their age.
I think it’s false to say it’s just because of his age, it’s his age plus his injury record. As RB posted he had only been in the side 3 times since early December.

Other forums need to note that the meeting took place before the season lock down occurred
Mark I was careful not to say "Just because of his age", I carefully avoided mentioning his recent injuries which, because of his age, were probably the deciding factor, but i'm sure "age" is not a PC reason. Would you keep a excellent proven old un or speculate on a young un who might not make it? Very tough on Guy, I hope he finds somewhere.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

But the point is that the 2 are linked whether you carefully avoided mentioning them or not.
Being clever with words doesn’t detract from the fact that if he was 33 and virtually injury free Tigers may well have been more inclined to extend his contract by a year, but he isn’t so they haven’t.
And yes if he was in his mid to late 20s and the prognosis on his neck injury was encouraging they would have been more inclined to renew

I agree it’s tough and I’m sure he will find somewhere