LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by kk20gb30 »

A fit and motivated Fearns would be an asset.
Without casting aspersions however , we have been here before:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... lded-97850

As alluded to here in previous posts his liking for the French lifestyle is well known and documented and his family seem settled.I get the impression that if a suitable offer from a Pro 14 club came along there would be no need of a passport - and who could blame him.
A lot of jockeying for position is going on right now....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm a big powerful 12 you say? If only we had within our squad a big powerful international centre with lots of experience of playing both 12 and 13 in Test matches.

Maybe we already have the answer here and just need a pacier 13 to play outside Manu...
Really don't like Manu at 12. Just seems a waste running him into heavy traffic. He's more than a blunt weapon and the whole beefing him up and running him into traffic policy of previous years contributed to his many injuries. We've got someone who played 12 internationally incoming who's north of 21 stone and can kick and offload very well. Put Nadolo at 12 and Manu at 13 and watch the opposition midfield panic. Would create a lot of space for TV and our pacey wingers.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I want to see the Tuilagi/Taute combination fielded again. Nadalo at 12? Maybe for the international breaks but personally he’s best on the wing.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:33 am I want to see the Tuilagi/Taute combination fielded again. Nadalo at 12? Maybe for the international breaks but personally he’s best on the wing.
Taute at 12 makes sense as I think the majority of his pace went with that bad knee injury at Munster. He does all the hard graft and the leads the defence.

Problem with going with a two bosh midfield is then you have to put more reliance on TV as a playmaker at 15. Unless of course Borthwick oversees a very sweeping change in our attacking play because we've had a secondary playmaker in the backline (sometimes a tertiary one as well when Geordie was at 15) for a few decades. Our attack plus does need a drastic overhaul though.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Do we think the current coronavirus situation makes it more or less likely for May to re-sign for us?

Club’s finances are going to be stretched next season so might it make sense to take the offer on the table and stay put?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:43 pm Do we think the current coronavirus situation makes it more or less likely for May to re-sign for us?

Club’s finances are going to be stretched next season so might it make sense to take the offer on the table and stay put?
Impossible to say really. Tigers rely a lot on gate receipts so arguably could be harder hit than those with sugar daddies - Tom Scott owns 46% and ain't broke though.

Falcons, Sale and Sarries have been the rumoured offers. Falcons are really struggling economically as Semore Kurdi reduced investment last season meaning a big drop in the wage budget. Sarries are relegated.

Sale are reportedly going to re-sign Yarde but they only have 12 backs in their senior squad currently (Ashton and Redpath gone mid-season) so may have cap left. Diamond has built such a tight squad based on quality over quantity. He also tends to make good loan signings in an emergency such as the Du Preez boys and Embrose Papier.
HarryTigerFan

Post by HarryTigerFan »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... kdown.html

Have just seen this confirming Guy is leaving. A little disappointed at this one as I thought he was someone who always gave his all in a Tigers shirt and those are the kind of players we need in our squad. But not unexpected with recent injuries, his age and the signing of Brink I guess it was inevitable!
For me he can't go down as a Tigers great as he wasn't here long enough but his performance against Newcastle last year to keep us up means he will live long in my memory as Tiger.
If Kalamafoni is off as well, which seems very likely, I do worry that we are an 8 light in the squad for next year. I know Taufua and Brink can both play there and then maybe we could sign another flanker. But whichever you look at it I think we are 1 short in the back row. Ideally a big player who can cover 6&8, Denton would of been the perfect player.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Has been really good for us, but I would imagine his injury record and age combined have gone against him.
Sort of player both Newcastle and Ealing would offer a 1 year deal to, best of luck to him

With Taufua, yes I know it’s not his favourite position, and Reffell and maybe Gough or Lavin ready to make a step up no surprise really
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The worry is that since November 30th Thompson has been fit for 3 games.
At 33 the question needs to be asked from a Cap POV.

Tigers decided they need to be looking elsewhere.
I would be very surprised if if we wanted to let him go if he was fit and playing like he was even at 33 but it's unfortunate.

I'm pretty sure we have another back rower.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Thompson has been one of those players you really enjoyed watching every time he runs out. Shame but as he states himself, rugby is a business and that’s the way it is (remember Moody??). Good luck in your next venture :smt023
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Could well be argued that we owe our place in the Premiership this season to Thompson - his performance at Falcons being that dominant .Will always hold the man in the highest regard for how he played the game and everything else he brought to the table.Wish him the very best of luck where ever he goes and whatever he does.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

Sad news about Guy, but hard to argue with the club decision.

Rugby paper have stated Moriarty is staying at dragons so won't be him joining, which I am relieved about as didn't seem value for money.

With Guy and kalamafoni off we are losing more depth at 8, our signings in back row with Geordie have all being abrasive and grafting, which is great, but I would love us to find an 8 who can get the ball through his hands out the tackle. Don't suppose we'll be hearing anything on this for the foreseeable future though
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This will mean a return for Big Fred :smt025 :smt025 :smt030
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TA30 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:35 am Sad news about Guy, but hard to argue with the club decision.

Rugby paper have stated Moriarty is staying at dragons so won't be him joining, which I am relieved about as didn't seem value for money.

With Guy and kalamafoni off we are losing more depth at 8, our signings in back row with Geordie have all being abrasive and grafting, which is great, but I would love us to find an 8 who can get the ball through his hands out the tackle. Don't suppose we'll be hearing anything on this for the foreseeable future though
Brink should be the man slotting into 8. He's a big lump who likes to carry hard. He's played flanker at the Lions because Warren Whitely was at 8 and he's an outstanding player. I think I'm right in saying Brink moved to 8 last season whilst Whitely was injured and did well. I imagine we might keep Coghlan for another season and with our links to Notts be able to bring Boladau as and when we need too. As long as Notts can afford to keep him that is.

I don't think we'll necessarily go out and spend big on another backrow after confirming our three development backrow players have signed senior deals. Smith, Gough and Lavin are all likely to be in more action next season, they all played some Championship games last season.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:12 am This will mean a return for Big Fred :smt025 :smt025 :smt030
I know this is tongue in cheek, but really