Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Not sure we can pick a bigger pack than SA, we might actually be better trying to outplay them.

A big front 5 yes, but then a bit of left field might work best & a back 3 that are good under the high ball & general kick retrieval (that should keep Daly away from the team..) Hogg, Williams & May would seem logical at the moment.

I can't stand his attitude but a fit & on form Biggar would be my pick at 10.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:54 pm I can't stand his attitude but a fit & on form Biggar would be my pick at 10.
A shame his match time is being foreshortened, otherwise on current progress I'd have expected Hastings to be a contender.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Longshanks wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:36 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:54 pm I can't stand his attitude but a fit & on form Biggar would be my pick at 10.
A shame his match time is being foreshortened, otherwise on current progress I'd have expected Hastings to be a contender.
I would agree on both counts. Hastings issue may also be that Finn Russell has stated he wants to make peace with Gregor Townsend, and if it were down to raw talent he would be in with a real shout
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:15 am AWJ is arguably the worlds most overrated player,in fact the love-in for him is sickening imo. And as for Gatland who are Wales missing most at the moment,him or Edwards?

easy and blind criticism of the player , but the cap count tells a different story although 'overratted' does allow for individual interpretation.As for who Wales are missing, both Gatland and Edwards would be a loss for any team separately and collectively and so the side suffers irrespective.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Genge is the most potent of the English loose heads. Don’t see Mako making the squad as he was munched so badly in the World Cup final against South Africa. However I think he will be the bench option behind Healey as he offers more impact from the bench, with Sinckler as starting tight head he comes on to provide the bullocking prop when Sinckler comes off.

Outside bet for captain may be Itoje.

May and Manu probably the only other Tigers in the squad. Not sure Youngs will get picked having turned down Gatland’s call last time. (I appreciate and support the reasons for it) However his form has been poor for some time until the Wales match. That Youngs gets the nod but will that have been enough.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not blind, I've been watching him many years including when he was bullied by the SA bogeyman on the Lions tour. His tackle count is high ,although hardly dominant and his carrying is quite poor. Hardly remember him ever breaking the gainline although I will add that his offload game has come on leaps and bounds. His clearing out work is ok but I dont recall him ever winning a turnover. His lineout work is decent but I wouldnt put him anywhere near the worlds best ie Kruis or Etzebeth. I would say his USP is his captaincy but just because that works with Wales doenst mean it transfers elsewhere as Johnsons did with the Lions. Cap count doesnt really mean much when it comes to Wales,being a 100cap Welsh lock is akin to being the most handsome man in the burns unit as they are hardly churning them out. Evans was by far the better lock imo although you have to credit AWJ longevity
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's over one year away so Ellis Genge and Rhys Carre could be in contention at loose head.
One name that isn't being mentioned much is Zander Fagerson who I think performs very well amongst a Scottish pack that is often picked for mobility.
It makes a massive difference for a tight head when playing with a disruptive loose head and more technical grunt behind.
Fagerson could potentially be much more destructive amongst a Lions pack.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Should we rule out Cole,Gatland likes playing him both sides
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Carré’s scrummaging technique still a lot to be desired, however a very similar player to the Boks’ own Steven Kitshoff.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not too sure about Fagerson but I would definitely have him over any of the Welsh tighteads!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:59 pm Not blind, I've been watching him many years including when he was bullied by the SA bogeyman on the Lions tour. His tackle count is high ,although hardly dominant and his carrying is quite poor. Hardly remember him ever breaking the gainline although I will add that his offload game has come on leaps and bounds. His clearing out work is ok but I dont recall him ever winning a turnover. His lineout work is decent but I wouldnt put him anywhere near the worlds best ie Kruis or Etzebeth. I would say his USP is his captaincy but just because that works with Wales doenst mean it transfers elsewhere as Johnsons did with the Lions. Cap count doesnt really mean much when it comes to Wales,being a 100cap Welsh lock is akin to being the most handsome man in the burns unit as they are hardly churning them out. Evans was by far the better lock imo although you have to credit AWJ longevity
...been here before many times.Just have to accept that you see (in abundance) what many others don't.It is all about opinions , right or wrong , biased or impartial.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:06 pm Should we rule out Cole,Gatland likes playing him both sides
For all of Dan's still considerable ability - and I believe Eddie Jones served him poorly after the World Cup - this will be a LIons tour too far for him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Mcgeehan has suggested the following. He knows a bit about picking Lions teams

Hogg, Watson, Davies, Tuilagi, Liam Williams, Farrell, Gareth Davies

Sutherland, George, Furlong, Itoje, Ryan, Ritchie, Curry, Billy V
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:54 am Something that surely will happen next summer is the Lions, here is my matchday squad of what I think Gatland will select, not who I personally want.

1. Healy
2. George
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. AWJ (c)
6. Stander
7. Curry
8. Navidi
9. Davies
10. Ford
11. Daly
12. Tuilagi
13. Ringrose
14. Adams
15. Williams
16. McInally
17. Genge
18. Sinckler
19. Ryan
20. Wainwright
21. Cooooooney
22. Russell
23. Stockdale
Not enough Welsh in there for it to be Gatland's pick
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... r-18191081

Over my dead body, Rugby needs the Lions more now than ever.