Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:50 pm The 9,10,12,13 is the real conundrum. Manu definitely starts if fit but at 12 or 13? Dont be surprised if Ford doesn't travel!
13. That’s where he plays every week and is his best position.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree Ellis but this is Gatland we are talking about,the guy who played JD2 at 12 in Australia!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

I for one would be amazed if Gatland's former welsh allegiances aren't still writ large over the next Lions tour.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would argue more Welsh players deserve their spot this time round then in 2017.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I had a late night go at a Lions squad (mine not Gatlands)

Hookers
Jamie George
Stuart McInally
Ken Owens/Luke Cowan-Dickie

Props
Mako Vunipola
Ellis Genge
Rory Sutherland
Kyle Sinckler
Tadhg Furlong
Tomas Francis

Locks
Maro Itoje
James Ryan
Jonny Gray
Alun Wyn Jones
Courtney Lawes

Back row
Aaron Wainwright/Josh Navidi
Tom Curry
Sam Underhill
Hamish Watson
Billy Vunipola
Taulupe Faletau

Scrum Half
Rhys Webb
Gareth Davies
Connor Murray/Ben Youngs

Fly Half
Owen Farrell
Dan Biggar
Finn Russell/George Ford

Centre
Manu Tuilagi
Robbie Henshaw
Nick Tompkins
Eliot Daly

Wing
Jonny May
Jacob Stockdale/Jordan Larmour
Josh Adams
Anthony Watson

Full Back
Stuart Hogg
Liam Williams

First XV: 1. Mako Vunipola 2. Jamie George 3. Tadhg Furlong 4. Alun Wyn Jones (C) 5. Maro Itoje 6. Tom Curry 7. Hamish Watson 8. Billy Vunipola 9. Rhys Webb 10. Owen Farrell 11. Jonny May 12. Robbie Henshaw 13. Manu Tuilagi 14. Josh Adams 15. Stuart Hogg 16. Stuart McInally 17. Ellis Genge 18. Kyle Sinckler 19. James Ryan 20. Taulupe Faletau 21. Gareth Davies 22. Dan Biggar 23. Eliot Daly
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Gatland has done very little wrong as Lions coach - take a look at his record.
Yeah , we can all carp and criticize but who ever you are (as a coach) you will pick those you know or think that you can rely on.Too many people with too many axes to grind and too many unprovable points to prove.The guy will stand or fall by his selections so at least let him make them first , but be in no doubt that he knows what he is doing and how to win.So we dont agree with who he picks and how he plays the game , big deal ,we are not international coaches. Gatland has proven that he is - love or loath him , agree or disagree .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Done very little wrong? He was 2 botched Beale kicks away from losing the series to a poor Oz team and drew one v a NZ team thanks to Barretts awful kicking,SBW red card and a terrible refereeing decision with Owen's blatant offside. The Lions praise for me is way OTT!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Gatland will pick the biggest team he can, simple as that. He's always been that way and it would be bizarre to change that strategy against such a powerful opposition.

Faletau and Billy will be there if fit. Maybe even someone like Nathan Hughes could get a spot on the plane.

I think Gatland often selected Welsh players for the fringes of the Lions squad instead of better players from other nations because it helped them gain experience while at the same time he knew they'd almost certainly not need to be used in the test side so wouldn't hurt his chances. He won't give a stuff about helping Welsh players gain experience now so I expect to see fewer Welsh players this time around - however as someone else mentioned, he will go for those he trusts, which might mean AWJ inexplicably gets a prominent place in the team again.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 am Done very little wrong? He was 2 botched Beale kicks away from losing the series to a poor Oz team and drew one v a NZ team thanks to Barretts awful kicking,SBW red card and a terrible refereeing decision with Owen's blatant offside. The Lions praise for me is way OTT!
You can say that about any side and rewrite most games by looking at missed chances. No one else is close to Garlands record. And the bias against AWJ is laughable, you don't get that many international caps by fluke. I'm not saying he should go this time round unless his form warrants it though but his past appearances shouldn't be criticised.

The world Cup showed that a big team will be needed in South Africa.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AWJ is arguably the worlds most overrated player,in fact the love-in for him is sickening imo. And as for Gatland who are Wales missing most at the moment,him or Edwards?
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

I think you need big scrummagers for SA. In which case Marler is potentially the best scrummaging loose head, always assuming his international career isn't already over
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:36 am Done very little wrong? He was 2 botched Beale kicks away from losing the series to a poor Oz team and drew one v a NZ team thanks to Barretts awful kicking,SBW red card and a terrible refereeing decision with Owen's blatant offside. The Lions praise for me is way OTT!
To be fair we only lost the second test Vs Australia because Jonathan Davies had a brain fart and turned a three on three defensively into a two on one easy score be trying to rush the ball carrier and missing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:14 am
To be fair we only lost the second test Vs Australia because Jonathan Davies had a brain fart and turned a three on three defensively into a two on one easy score be trying to rush the ball carrier and missing.
Dont forget Parlings try saving tap tackle though ,sure that was the second test.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Let’s not forget the dropping of O’Driscoll, the Lions could have easily won the series in New Zealand but too many Welsh players went and were extremely fortunate with the Owens refereeing decision.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would have Healy over Marler, let’s not forget the scrummaging ability of Genge which really came to the international fore this Six Nations.