Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Sir Eddie of Jones re-signs until 2023

Post by Scott1 »

Great news!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Sir Eddie of Jones re-signs until 2023

Post by JP14 »

Well it’s certainly preferable to losing him mid-way through the world cup cycle.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Continuity and Consistency..
wonder if that will apply to selection policy also ?
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Not perfect but who is?

Done a good job to date so for once the men in blazers have made a good decision :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Right choice for another RWC cycle for me. EJ has certainly upped Englands game. Whilst some inconsistency still exists, at times they are really (REALLY) good. Plus a number of them, being quite young, will get even better e.g. Itoje, Curry, Underhill, Sinckler, Genge. EJ is stubborn, which plays both ways, but needs to shift out Ben Youngs, Willi Heinz and Dan Cole (I know I know !!) just like he did to Haskell, Robshaw and Mike Brown. Plenty of talent in England to nurture. Jones said in 2016 that he wanted to turn Itoje from a Vauxhall Viva into a BMW. Well you now have a Porsche 911 Turbo S that could become a Mclaren P1 / LaFerrari / Porsche 918.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

You can't fail to do well with the players that England possess.
No doubting that Jones is a very good coach but I thought that selecting Mako for the World Cup Final lacked bottle, IMVHO.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I do not regard this as good news, another few years of stupid gimmicks, finishers, apprentices, 20 vice captains, mind games and players out of position, groan.... :smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:30 pm You can't fail to do well with the players that England possess.
No doubting that Jones is a very good coach but I thought that selecting Mako for the World Cup Final lacked bottle, IMVHO.
Lancaster had a great selection of players to choose from and didn't get out of the group.

Jones has regularly got the England team playing well. Mako certainly didn't help our scrum in the final, Cole took all the flack but it was noticeable that the scrum improved when Marler came on. I guess Eddie banked on us holding our own in the scrum and then Malo adding to our attack enough we'd break their defence down.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Another 3/4 years of a coach who has had England playing consistently better than at any point since 2003? Hard to understand how that can be seen as a bad move.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:16 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:30 pm You can't fail to do well with the players that England possess.
Lancaster had a great selection of players to choose from and didn't get out of the group.

Jones has regularly got the England team playing well. Mako certainly didn't help our scrum in the final, Cole took all the flack but it was noticeable that the scrum improved when Marler came on. I guess Eddie banked on us holding our own in the scrum and then Malo adding to our attack enough we'd break their defence down.
Lancaster had a good selection of players.
Jones has a great selection of players.
Mr Magoo could get England playing well from their playing pool which is currently as good as I've ever seen.
Jones weakened his own team in the World Cup Final with sentiment, in my opinion.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:12 am

Mr Magoo could get England playing well from their playing pool which is currently as good as I've ever seen.
Jones weakened his own team in the World Cup Final with sentiment, in my opinion.
I don't think it was sentiment I think it was the concern over our attack needing Mako to link the forwards. He took a calculated gamble in Mako not crumbling in the scrum in order to offer more in attack. Our attack didn't fire and our scrum crumbled so obviously it didn't work. Bringing Marler in might not have helped either. Remember Tigers going through the Quins scrum this season? Like a hot knife through butter.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:16 am
BFG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:12 am

I don't think it was sentiment I think it was the concern over our attack needing Mako to link the forwards. He took a calculated gamble in Mako not crumbling in the scrum in order to offer more in attack. Our attack didn't fire and our scrum crumbled so obviously it didn't work. Bringing Marler in might not have helped either. Remember Tigers going through the Quins scrum this season? Like a hot knife through butter.
Mako had been injured and not played much rugby.
It was a poor selection in my opinion.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Eddie gets a hell of a lot of stick for that final. Ok he made mistakes and he admits them but instead of blaming him why not just congratulate SA for a superb performance, it wouldve took a hell of a team to beat them that day.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:33 am Eddie gets a hell of a lot of stick for that final. Ok he made mistakes and he admits them but instead of blaming him why not just congratulate SA for a superb performance, it wouldve took a hell of a team to beat them that day.
You're a bit late, I did indeed congratulate SA for being better at the time.
If you go through this site you can no doubt find it.
England are a hell of a team!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don't think it was Eddies fault YBY and Daly were shockingly bad that day either! Congratulations SA and congratulations to Eddie for his new contract,I believe that at our best we are the worlds best team,thanks to Eddie, and look forward with great excitement to the next 3 years!