LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2019/20 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Carl Fearns apparently available for next season, he’s a nasty 8 with a point to prove.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'd have Fearns tomorrow!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:37 pm Carl Fearns apparently available for next season, he’s a nasty 8 with a point to prove.
Odd that he's moving back. He has said several times he's happy and settled in France. He's not called by England and has been there long enough to qualify so shouldn't be a problem under the new squad rules in France. At 30 he's probably got one more big contact so he won't be cheap. Very physical player though would fit into what we're trying to achieve in the backrow. Liebenburg, Brink, Taufua and then Fearns we'd be supplementing the homegrown with a lot of physical aggression.

He's linked with Saints though and I'd have thought they'd have cap set aside for the backrow and at the minute they'd be an attractive move.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/the- ... son/626279

Interesting read about players out of contract in France would be interested in a few like Alex Dunbar as a hard hitting 12, Kini Murimurivalu, Tolu Latu and Ramiro Moyano?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Just saw that too. Some decent props in the mix there if we decide to replace Cortes.
Equally, could someone like Parrisse or Gorgodza do us a season whilst some of our younger back row players develop.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Latu would be a real coup.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s such a shame Grosso has to retire, the circumstances around his injury are very Umaga-O’Driscoll esq.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:42 pm It’s such a shame Grosso has to retire, the circumstances around his injury are very Umaga-O’Driscoll esq.
I remember watching it live and being appalled that there were not any red cards shown to NZ, especially when SBW was given red for a similar hit on Anthony Watson the year before
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Richardfje wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/the- ... son/626279

Interesting read about players out of contract in France would be interested in a few like Alex Dunbar as a hard hitting 12, Kini Murimurivalu, Tolu Latu and Ramiro Moyano?
Dunbar's form fell of a cliff after injury sadly. A few years ago I really hoped Tigers might take a chance on him. He was playing Scottish Premiership early last season prior to going on loan with Falcons. Semi-pro standard and he didn't really shine. One of the starkest drops in form I've seen after injury layoffs.

If May does leave then Murimurivalu at fullback with Veainu and Nadolo on the wings would be explosive.

Latu and Mamukashvili would help the scrummage be even more dominant but not sure Latu would help the line-out.

Konstantin Mikautadze is a brute in the second row. Gillian Galan is a physical number 8. Both would add to our squad.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I believe we need need "nasty" number five, and a powerful number twelve, as things stand at this moment in time.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:42 pm I believe we need need "nasty" number five, and a powerful number twelve, as things stand at this moment in time.
Nasty number 5 might be on the cards with Alemanno.

No.12 won’t be though, Hill or Mills would have been a good addition. With Eastmond, Reid and Hardwick all in contract next season there simply isn’t the cap space to work with. Nadolo has played 12 in the past before so could be a wild card pick.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It's ok talking about players but If we dont sort our coaching team out and Borthwick doesn't oversee a complete 180 it makes no odds!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

a big powerful 12 you say? If only we had within our squad a big powerful international centre with lots of experience of playing both 12 and 13 in Test matches.

Maybe we already have the answer here and just need a pacier 13 to play outside Manu...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Could we see Borthwick playing Manu at 12 with his Jones influence?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:34 pm
Richardfje wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/the- ... son/626279

Dunbar's form fell of a cliff after injury sadly. A few years ago I really hoped Tigers might take a chance on him. He was playing Scottish Premiership early last season prior to going on loan with Falcons. Semi-pro standard and he didn't really shine. One of the starkest drops in form I've seen after injury layoffs.

If May does leave then Murimurivalu at fullback with Veainu and Nadolo on the wings would be explosive.

Latu and Mamukashvili would help the scrummage be even more dominant but not sure Latu would help the line-out.

Konstantin Mikautadze is a brute in the second row. Gillian Galan is a physical number 8. Both would add to our squad.
Would very much like to see Mamukashvilli come in. He's a monster and alongside Lavanini that could be the biggest and most feared lock combo in the league. Would also allow us to rotate Lavanini with another bruiser and have Wells or Green come in to help get extra coverage around the park or help the lineout. Be surprised if he didn't get a big deal from a French club though.

Given the new restrictions on squads in France I'll be amazed if Galan isn't picked up by another French side.

Gorgodze I'd love to see at Tigers, a trio of Georgians would be great. I can't see it happening but he's always been a player I've liked watching though at 35 he's past his best at the right price he'd offer some versatile coverage to our pack and he's always been good ball in hand.

Can't see us bringing another hooker in unless Kerr leaves out of the blue. I do agree on Murimurivalu though, if May is going I'd like to see him in red, white and green though he isn't getting any younger either. Which in a way could help as he would step back as Steward steps up.

I think TinyTiger is spot on, there will be no 12 shopping this summer. Next summer however, I think we might see some movement there if Reid continues to be hit and miss and Eastmond doesn't refind his best form.