Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by Crumblies »

h's dad wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:13 pm
Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:52 pm If only that were true, Strawclearer. Ryanair was voted worst airline every year for four years and bookings went up and up.
And if it is really being suggested that players on 400k a year have overextended themselves with a mortgage then they really are dimmer than they look.
Yes, anybody with half a brain predicted a global pandemic this year :smt017
I’m afraid they did and have been doing so for quite sometime.

My daughter has just completed a Health Science degree. The likelihood of another pandemic and the need for hand hygiene was a theme running right through it. Ever taken note when visiting the gents loo at Tigers how many men bother to wash their hands? Conservative guesstimates less than 30%
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

JGT57 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:51 pm Hope they don’t ask Jonny to take a further 25% pay cut!
Perhaps he can't complain if they've wired his jaw shut!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Crumblies wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:21 pm
Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:52 pm If only that were true, Strawclearer. Ryanair was voted worst airline every year for four years and bookings went up and up.
And if it is really being suggested that players on 400k a year have overextended themselves with a mortgage then they really are dimmer than they look.

My daughter has just completed a Health Science degree. The likelihood of another pandemic and the need for hand hygiene was a theme running right through it. Ever taken note when visiting the gents loo at Tigers how many men bother to wash their hands? Conservative guesstimates less than 30%
Can you give a link to somebody recently advising us all not to take out a mortgage that they would struggle to cover in the event of a substantial pay cut due to a global pandemic?

If we all tried to contingency plan for every possible disaster the world would grind to a halt.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Players can apply for a three month mortgage holiday just like the rest of the population.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I would imagine a fair few players rent, certainly those non English players.
A few years back there was a group known as the Kibworth Kiwis
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Are you seriously suggesting that there is no-one who says to a 25 yr old earning megabucks in a short term- career that he has to be prudent? That this largesse (for that's what it is) is not going to last forever and that any time soon he might have to get a proper job? That, yes it looks good now, Son, but when you are 35 and haven't a pot to pi55 in you'll regret it. That's what savings are for and you can afford to save being in the top 0.5% income bracket. Is there no parent, agent, club welfare officer saying this? And even if there isn't, some of them must be able to work it out for themselves.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

h's dad wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:06 pm

Can you give a link to somebody recently advising us all not to take out a mortgage that they would struggle to cover in the event of a substantial pay cut due to a global pandemic?

If we all tried to contingency plan for every possible disaster the world would grind to a halt.
That has to be the most spurious response I’ve ever seen.

The Scientific community and the World Health Organisation have been warning governments and trying to educate the public for years on the likelihood of a pandemic, it’s ramifications and the need to take steps to avoid it.

The hand hygiene initiative being one of them. How many governments even bothered to educate the public and children in schools?

You might call that contingency planning.
I call it downright negligence.
And I won’t even begin to describe the people who cannot follow simple hygiene procedures before coming into contact with others.
As I said earlier take a good look the next time you visit a gents loo at the number of us who fail to wash their hands and tell me you are not ashamed of your fellow males!
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Oh and are you seriously suggesting that the world will grind to a halt by educating people on the absolute necessity to adhere to hand hygiene?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Crumblies wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Oh and are you seriously suggesting that the world will grind to a halt by educating people on the absolute necessity to adhere to hand hygiene?
Dont' be silly. There is a difference between washing your hands regularly and deciding how much of a mortgage you can comfortably take on while making any contingency that the reasonable person might take. The stupid mortgage to take on is one on a property on a flood plain that is regularly engulfed and that building on will only exacerbate.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:03 pm
Are you seriously suggesting that there is no-one who says to a 25 yr old earning megabucks in a short term- career that he has to be prudent? That this largesse (for that's what it is) is not going to last forever and that any time soon he might have to get a proper job? That, yes it looks good now, Son, but when you are 35 and haven't a pot to pi55 in you'll regret it. That's what savings are for and you can afford to save being in the top 0.5% income bracket. Is there no parent, agent, club welfare officer saying this? And even if there isn't, some of them must be able to work it out for themselves.
You really need to look up the definition of largesse. Let me know if you find one that involves putting your health and wellbeing on the line week after week. Put your money in property and you do usually wind up with a pot to pi55 in. The 'you earn a bit more than I do so you can afford to go without' attitude really winds me up, it just looks like jealousy and envy. Not that I have more than anybody else, I just respect their achievement and commitment. Unless they're soccer players or lottery winners.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Crumblies wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:12 pm

That has to be the most spurious response I’ve ever seen.

The Scientific community and the World Health Organisation have been warning governments and trying to educate the public for years on the likelihood of a pandemic, it’s ramifications and the need to take steps to avoid it.

The hand hygiene initiative being one of them. How many governments even bothered to educate the public and children in schools?

You might call that contingency planning.
I call it downright negligence.
And I won’t even begin to describe the people who cannot follow simple hygiene procedures before coming into contact with others.
As I said earlier take a good look the next time you visit a gents loo at the number of us who fail to wash their hands and tell me you are not ashamed of your fellow males!
So you're saying we should take 25% off Manu's pay packet if he doesn't wash his hands after taking a whizz? I don't necessarily disagree with that but is he really guilty? And why pick on him? I'm ashamed of a lot of my fellow males for a lot of reasons.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

This thread is simply glorious.

If it doesn’t get pinned and used as a historic artifact for future generations there’s no justice.

Love it
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I believe the RFU and PRL are both sitting on large contingency funds and so far the top EO's there have not taken a pay cut. Goose and Gander come to mind
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

My understanding is that everyone can apply for a three month mortgage holiday, legislation is being rushed through so renters canno't be evicted, and the government will cover 80% of employees salaries up to £2500 a month.
It's up to companies how much else they pay during this difficult time which I imagine will depend on their financial health and generosity.
Personally I don't believe that any person or company should profit in difficult times for all.
Supermarkets seem to be doing pretty well so perhaps they could share the wealth instead of profiteering, but no they are more likely to want other businesses to fold so they can buy up the land and build more supermarkets and make more profits.
It's a rat race and players will just have to suck it up like the rest of us!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Supermarkets need to buy the goods in and then need to pay the staff. They have taken on more staff to try and make it easier for the rest of us. I doubt their profits are excessive but without them we would struggle to survive. They are not increasing prices as some of the small stores are.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk