Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by Old Hob »

The top players certainly should. Surely they can manage to do nothing but keep themselves fit at home on what will still be a six figure salary?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Well it could be take a pay cut now or return to amateur status later.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Absolutely I think the players should, especially the high earners who could still live comfortably on a reduction. They can always get the money back later, I’m sure a salary cap exemption could be made in this scenario (Saracens must be licking their lips).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

As for a lot of people, the choice will probably be pay cut or risk redundancy.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:12 am As for a lot of people, the choice will probably be pay cut or risk redundancy.
As has already happened. The evil £**%s my daughter works for (they have previous for greed, petty maliciousness and stupidity) have asked for volunteers to take six months off with no pay. Obviously there was a rush for that special offer. the punch line was - "If you don't, your name goes into the hat for redundancy". They have just posted profits of £900 million
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:37 am
Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:12 am As for a lot of people, the choice will probably be pay cut or risk redundancy.
As has already happened. The evil £**%s my daughter works for (they have previous for greed, petty maliciousness and stupidity) have asked for volunteers to take six months off with no pay. Obviously there was a rush for that special offer. the punch line was - "If you don't, your name goes into the hat for redundancy". They have just posted profits of £900 million
You would hope that companies who can afford to look after their staff would do so, but it is sadly not surprising that many won't.

Unfortunately many businesses won't have a choice and as you say a lot of people are already out of work or temporarily laid off or on short time. Tough times.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I suspect many companies will find themselves locally or nationally blacklisted when this is over. Britannia Hotels has already incurred the wrath of many for the disgraceful way they've treated their staff - but there will be more. Name & Shame!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Easy for us with no knowledge of a players outgoings (mortgage commitments etc) as they try to purchase a house or secure their future before their income drops rapidly when their playing career ends to suggest that they take a pay cut on the remainder of a short contract. Were they to sustain a career ending injury on their return to playing I believe compensation is awarded based on earnings, over the duration of the current contract.
Of course we all realise that the employer still needs to be in business when normality returns but we shouldn't be too quick to judge the decisions made by others when we don't have the facts.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:31 am
I suspect many companies will find themselves locally or nationally blacklisted when this is over. Britannia Hotels has already incurred the wrath of many for the disgraceful way they've treated their staff - but there will be more. Name & Shame!
Britannia Hotels are voted the worst hotel group in Britain every year by both customers and employees, so no surprises there.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

If only that were true, Strawclearer. Ryanair was voted worst airline every year for four years and bookings went up and up.
And if it is really being suggested that players on 400k a year have overextended themselves with a mortgage then they really are dimmer than they look.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

This from Wasps and Worcs:

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/an-open-le ... n-vaughan/

http://warriors.co.uk/2020/03/20/club-statement-5/

The similarities suggest a unified response.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 pm
strawclearer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:31 am

Britannia Hotels are voted the worst hotel group in Britain every year by both customers and employees, so no surprises there.
People keep going there just to see how bad it is. Love that business model.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:52 pm If only that were true, Strawclearer. Ryanair was voted worst airline every year for four years and bookings went up and up.
And if it is really being suggested that players on 400k a year have overextended themselves with a mortgage then they really are dimmer than they look.
Yes, anybody with half a brain predicted a global pandemic this year :smt017
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Hope they don’t ask Jonny to take a further 25% pay cut!