Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Favourite matches of all time

Post by mol2 »

Tigers beating South Africa.

Watching a scratch Tigers side defend their lead to the end (incuding a schoolboy Manu smashing any South African standing, frequetly double tackling with a player we had borrowed from Nottingham as some of ours were away with England)
Last edited by mol2 on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm This match was a cracker!
1991 World Cup Q Final France v England in Paris.
Good job there were no TMOs in those days or there wouldn't've been many players left on the pitch!

https://youtu.be/t00-5tc05ng
The follow up in 1992 Five Nations is also a belter :smt001 Just listen to this week's Blood And Mud podcast.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mol2 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:06 pm Tigers beating South Africa.
+1 :smt023 was it Manu's first game?
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

fentiger wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:06 pm
mol2 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:06 pm Tigers beating South Africa.
+1 :smt023 was it Manu's first game?
I never bought the dvd but I’d love to see that game again.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned the game vs Wasps at the Ricoh in 2015 when Bai got red carded and we somehow managed to hold on and get the win, always remember Cockers nearly breaking down with emotion when the full time whistle went after Ayerza smashed Haskell causing a knock on
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The two most recent Heineken Cup games versus Ulster I have been to at Welford Road (including last year where we lost).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Can I throw a couple more in there - consecutive games actually
Final game of the 2007/8 season v Quins at home. Memorable for Quins scoring the first ever 4 try BP against Tigers since they came into effect very close to the end of the match, which would have put us out of the play offs had the scores not changed only for Tom Varndell to score a world class try to snatch it and earn an away semi at Gloucester....

and as for that match - wow.... goodey's balls of steel at the end..........
Less is more....
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Robespierre wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm This match was a cracker!
1991 World Cup Q Final France v England in Paris.
Good job there were no TMOs in those days or there wouldn't've been many players left on the pitch!

https://youtu.be/t00-5tc05ng
Agree, went with one son, stayed in a hotel in St Germain en Laye near where we had lived a few years earlier and where he had gone to school. Mickey Skinner's hit on Cecillon, the impact of the scrums in those days, the sandwich merguez cooked over a petrol drum barbecue by a roadside vendor, being asked by my mates to ask for beer in barons because French demis meant frequent trips to the bar, although few Froggies in the bars near the stadium as they had all slunk off. We left the bar early but in good Sarf Lunnon tradition my mates told me later they had nicked the glasses!

And the Saffas game, the Crumbly nearly living up to its name from the foot stamping, PJW squeezing through the crowd in the tunnel after to deliver a crate of champagne, the curry after a good few beers.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 amFinal game of the 2007/8 season v Quins at home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hos5kinVyI0
Bunchy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 amand as for that match - wow.... goodey's balls of steel at the end..........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECFZh7mr8c

These? Only highlights though :smt002 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:44 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECFZh7mr8c

The comeback, the try from Alesana, the break from Murphy, the drop goal from Goode. What a game!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Goode was The Goat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Why be great when you can be Goode?
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

JP14 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:35 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:44 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECFZh7mr8c

The comeback, the try from Alesana, the break from Murphy, the drop goal from Goode. What a game!
Cheered me up no end watching that again!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I remember that whole day so vividly - getting to teagues bar far too early, therefore having for too many Guinness. Then at the game, suffering a lot of football esque treatment from some awful (minority) Glaws fans, then winning with that drop goal and the subsequent winding down of the clock, then getting confronted again in teagues bar by a drunken lout who was taken care of by a few embarrassed Glaws fans who then "insisted" on buying me a lot of Guinness (see the pattern?)

Rounded off by stopping at a petrol station and seeing Tom varndell also there stocking up with snacks for the journey home, which he made with Jordan Crane bizarrely in a white van.......
Less is more....
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:41 pm I remember that whole day so vividly - getting to teagues bar far too early, therefore having for too many Guinness. Then at the game, suffering a lot of football esque treatment from some awful (minority) Glaws fans, then winning with that drop goal and the subsequent winding down of the clock, then getting confronted again in teagues bar by a drunken lout who was taken care of by a few embarrassed Glaws fans who then "insisted" on buying me a lot of Guinness (see the pattern?)

Rounded off by stopping at a petrol station and seeing Tom varndell also there stocking up with snacks for the journey home, which he made with Jordan Crane bizarrely in a white van.......
Ah! Thems were the days!! Hope you weren’t driving 🤫
Semper in excretia