England v Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England v Wales

Post by Longshanks »

sapajo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 am According to experts on twitter the Ref got Manu's red card 100% correct and had no choice but to do so. The reason being that Manu did not lead with his arms and it was therefore a shoulder charge and he made contact with the head.

Apparently there is no mitigation for a shoulder charge unlike if he had lead with his arms in which case it would have been am attempted tackle for which mitigation applies.
One of the consequences of technology is that slow motion replays, freeze frame snapshots and cropped photographs can lead to conclusions which may be false or exaggerated.

If I were accompanying Manu to the disciplinary panel, I'd be taking a large print of this:

...arms in front, trying to prevent a player already on his knees from scoring.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

Longshanks wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:13 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 am According to experts on twitter the Ref got Manu's red card 100% correct and had no choice but to do so. The reason being that Manu did not lead with his arms and it was therefore a shoulder charge and he made contact with the head.

Apparently there is no mitigation for a shoulder charge unlike if he had lead with his arms in which case it would have been am attempted tackle for which mitigation applies.
One of the consequences of technology is that slow motion replays, freeze frame snapshots and cropped photographs can lead to conclusions which may be false or exaggerated.

If I were accompanying Manu to the disciplinary panel, I'd be taking a large print of this:

It depends on interpretation. I see a shoulder heading towards Norths' head
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:26 am Squidge Rugby is loosing it a bit too much on Twitter, true he has a point I quit colts because the senior players were too concerned about the off-the-field-antics rather than concentrating on the game on the pitch, however to say the incident should be referred to the police is over the top in my opinion.

However Marler could get a lengthy ban for it if they believe its at the top end.
That's the world we seem to be living in presently, someone always has to be offended by something that doesn't affect them and things are blown out of proportion.
I blame Farrell, it's all his fault, if he didn't have a face like a slapped ???? then Marler wouldn't need to overcompensate for fun (by being a plonker) to redress the balance. :smt003
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Coleshillad wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:44 am

A head that is about 4 feet from the ground. It should have been a yellow card.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:26 am Squidge Rugby is loosing it a bit too much on Twitter, true he has a point I quit colts because the senior players were too concerned about the off-the-field-antics rather than concentrating on the game on the pitch, however to say the incident should be referred to the police is over the top in my opinion.

However Marler could get a lengthy ban for it if they believe its at the top end.
It’s nowhere near the top end for sanctioning. Top end would need to be a vicious attack that caused serious injury. This will be the lowest entry point of 12 weeks.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:18 am
Coleshillad wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:44 am

A head that is about 4 feet from the ground. It should have been a yellow card.
.......and dropping. I believe a yellow would have been right. It was clumsy at most, and from other angles, almost a near miss. I don't think this picture does Manu any favours' though.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ref deemed it was a shoulder charge so there is no mitigation for this offence under current World Rugby Rules. Mitigation is only considered if the Ref deems it was a legitimate attempt to tackle.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I'm really not convinced shoulder met head - I think it was Manu's upper arm below the shoulder. If North had made as little of it as Manu did when he suffered a 'head to head' earlier, it might have been just a penalty or a yellow at worst.

Instead, he'll get a ban. I'm all for making the game safer but we aren't half ruining this game as a spectacle.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Photo in today’s Times of Marler tweaking a team mate in the changing room.

It’s obviously a habit of his which was going to cause a problem one day. 12 weeks may be the starting sanction, but Marlers disciplinary record is hardly faultless, so bet on longer.

AW-J deserves some consideration for his self discipline. Is it right that any retaliation should get a red? Outside of the game, provocation would be a mitigating factor if there was any retaliation, and Marler could be prosecuted for sexual assault, leading to a punishment that would include time on the Sex Offenders Register.

Tweaking is unacceptable at work!
Valhalla I am coming!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

fleabane wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:36 pm Photo in today’s Times of Marler tweaking a team mate in the changing room.

It’s obviously a habit of his which was going to cause a problem one day. 12 weeks may be the starting sanction, but Marlers disciplinary record is hardly faultless, so bet on longer.

AW-J deserves some consideration for his self discipline. Is it right that any retaliation should get a red? Outside of the game, provocation would be a mitigating factor if there was any retaliation, and Marler could be prosecuted for sexual assault, leading to a punishment that would include time on the Sex Offenders Register.

Tweaking is unacceptable at work!
In many ways it might of been better if he had "lamped" him.
Add this to his comments to Samson Lee not that long ago.....classy guy.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Flash

Post by Flash »

If provocation is a mitigating factor does that mean AWJ's forearm under marlers chin is mitigation?

It will be interesting to see the citing from this game. I'm expecting a citing for Marler, Parkes (not sure how he got away with his shoulder to manus head in the game) and possibly Jamie George, his shoulder seemed to make contact with a head when he was the 2nd tackler.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

The power of social media, Marler cited, how pathetic

Lawes also cited though, I didn't see anything in the match that would call for that though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51806678
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 pm The power of social media, Marler cited, how pathetic

Lawes also cited though, I didn't see anything in the match that would call for that though

Unfortunately the updated BBC article now adds:

England centre Manu Tuilagi will also be at Thursday's hearing following his red card for a high tackle late in the Twickenham fixture.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 pm The power of social media, Marler cited, how pathetic

I've tweeted Joe Marler to suggest he take biscuits.

Not Fingers or HobKnobs though.......obviously!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:00 am I'm really not convinced shoulder met head - I think it was Manu's upper arm below the shoulder. If North had made as little of it as Manu did when he suffered a 'head to head' earlier, it might have been just a penalty or a yellow at worst.

Instead, he'll get a ban. I'm all for making the game safer but we aren't half ruining this game as a spectacle.
To be fair to North he doesn't spend that long on the deck. Considered the speed at which Manu arrived he could have milked it more if he was dishonest. He gets up slowly but doesn't really stay on the floor that long. The Welsh medics racing on is understandable considering North shouldn't have been playing after being knocked out Vs France.

I agree that Manu first contact appears to be arm on shoulder. Unfortunately the ref couldn't see a screen so as soon as the TMO said shoulder to head and no arms. Ref has literally no choice in what to do. TMO had an absolutely shocking game.