Sarries vs Leicester - Teams Up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Sarries vs Leicester - Teams Up

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Feel the difference was in the backs. Our pack, especially the starters played really well. Leatigaga and Heyes were great. Batley and Spencer in the engine room were also immense.

However, our backs by in large were poor and lacking in quality. Same with the replacements, Bateman and Cole seemed off the pace and we struggled to wrestle back any control following the yellow. Still some big positives.

Seems Spencer is 100% off to Bath. Wonder if we’ll keep Batley around. Has also played 8 in the past so would be interesting to see where he settles.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

We looked vulnerable each time they (sarries) upped the pace of the game. We were doing well and could have been in with a chance except that we don't really seem to be able to work out how to use the backs to attack.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

To those who were watching - how did SK come across as a Captain?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Longshanks wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:09 pm To those who were watching - how did SK come across as a Captain?
Don't get your hopes up of him being given the role next season as my info is that he won't be here next season.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Eastmond had another very good game and when he became captain the backs began to improve. It’s frustrating as a win today would have put us within touch of top 6!
Our attack still lacks running lines and invention which, considering Mike Ford is coach is baffling.
Please Geordan now target Exeter and play those who want it. Joe Heyes must start games as his offload was superb to set up the try. Genge and Heyes must be in every squad until the end of the season.
Kalamafoni excellent captaincy and grunt.
Well done Hardwick too: has to be in every match day squad too. Gutsy lad and kicked well today.
White also very good.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:03 pm
norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:55 pm Come on, does anyone on here, Happy Monger or Doom Clapper , truly and truthfully feel that we ever win a :censored: away match with Murphy anywhere near the team ??????!!!! I will bet anyone who wants a wager, that the minute he goes, we win the first away match..
:smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
Do we have to have this every game until SB arrives and gets his feet under the table? It's only a week or two away. Or is this just getting a parting shot in?
Everyone seriously needs to get a grip! Whatever you think of Murphy's respective merits or otherwise as a head coach the fact is that he's staying on as part of the axis with Borthwick. We've had seasons of under investment in the pack which was partially rectified last summer. The back play, which seems to have gone backwards from the point at which Mike Ford first came in, is not down to Murphy - that is down to the backs/attack coach which is Mike Ford. The style of play is going to be dictated by Borthwick and the selection will be decided by Murphy and Borthwick, with Murphy having the overall casting vote - this has been confirmed in numerous articles on the club website and in press releases as well at the open forum earlier in the week.

We've been in decline for some time and that's primarily down to poor recruitment and the academy falling away. Those things are not fixed overnight. Anyone who thinks that Borthwick appearing will magically turn things around immediately is kidding themselves. This is going to take time, people. Take a chill pill, have some patience and get a grip (please) - this is a long haul project not an overnight quick fix.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Context........Sarries, away, with our internationals away, and we held our own.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I've been guilty of being one of Whites harshest critics, goes to show, that, along with many others, I know zilch about such things and he's starting to come good!
Humble pie consumed :smt003
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

So we lost to Saracens away from home? The same as pretty much every other team in the last 10 years. It would be nice to win but it's hardly a surprise or a reflection of poor coaching that we didn't (I think our coaching is poor, but this is not the match to judge them on).

We were never going to learn much from the Sale and Sarries matches (or Exeter for that matter).
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well I thought we were almost going to make a game of it at half time and even sneaked into the lead for a while but in the end nill points again. TBH I'm struggling to maintain interest in Tigers knowing Murphs will still be around next season as I don't see things getting better even with Borthwick here.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:16 pm
norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:55 pm Come on, does anyone on here, Happy Monger or Doom Clapper , truly and truthfully feel that we ever win a :censored: away match with Murphy anywhere near the team ??????!!!! I will bet anyone who wants a wager, that the minute he goes, we win the first away match..
Do we have to have this every game until SB arrives and gets his feet under the table? It's only a week or two away. Or is this just getting a parting shot in?
Everyone seriously needs to get a grip! Whatever you think of Murphy's respective merits or otherwise as a head coach the fact is that he's staying on as part of the axis with Borthwick. We've had seasons of under investment in the pack which was partially rectified last summer. The back play, which seems to have gone backwards from the point at which Mike Ford first came in, is not down to Murphy - that is down to the backs/attack coach which is Mike Ford. The style of play is going to be dictated by Borthwick and the selection will be decided by Murphy and Borthwick, with Murphy having the overall casting vote - this has been confirmed in numerous articles on the club website and in press releases as well at the open forum earlier in the week.

We've been in decline for some time and that's primarily down to poor recruitment and the academy falling away. Those things are not fixed overnight. Anyone who thinks that Borthwick appearing will magically turn things around immediately is kidding themselves. This is going to take time, people. Take a chill pill, have some patience and get a grip (please) - this is a long haul project not an overnight quick fix
The fact is it's been 7 seasons since Tigers made a premiership final and we have had and continue to experience the 2 worst seasons in our history.. So please can you confirm how many more seasons do you believe we must continue to wait patiently for in order to successfully complete this long haul project?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought that it'd be a scrap as it always is away at Sarries but I also thought that they were there for the taking.
Even young Earl was missing today.
Mako hadn't played for ages.
Koch and Barritt apart a much weakened Sarries team.
Little cutting edge or creativity from Leicester, poor I thought.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well looking at the results this weekend shows anything can happen to any team apart from Exeter, Sale and Sarries.
Look at Wasps: didn’t look great v us then beat a very weak ( if ever there is such a thing) Sarries side and now they’re in the top 6.
I just hope we can get an away win this season and a couple of away bonus points.
Today proved again that Heyes, Nephi Leatigaga, Batley, Wells and Kalamafoni deserve your start. Spencer played well too.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

sapajo wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:22 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:16 pm

We've been in decline for some time and that's primarily down to poor recruitment and the academy falling away. Those things are not fixed overnight. Anyone who thinks that Borthwick appearing will magically turn things around immediately is kidding themselves. This is going to take time, people. Take a chill pill, have some patience and get a grip (please) - this is a long haul project not an overnight quick fix
The fact is it's been 7 seasons since Tigers made a premiership final and we have had and continue to experience the 2 worst seasons in our history.. So please can you confirm how many more seasons do you believe we must continue to wait patiently for in order to successfully complete this long haul project?
Blimey!

Murphys getting the blame for the entire 7 years then?

As I’ve said any number of times, the decline started a decade ago and coincided with salary caps, poor recruitment, poor appointments of coaches and the rest of the league getting better as we got worse.

Very little of the above was GMs fault and I’d argue that recruitment and appointment of coaches has improved with Borthwick coming in.

I’ve also said it’s pretty clear no-one including GM himself considers him a Head Coach - he’s a DoR and
I won’t judge him until Borthwick is in position as that is going to be his key decision to be measured against
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

No blame from me, read what I actually posted not misrepresent it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity