Six Nations to go to Sky? - Updated 19th May 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Six Nations to go to Sky? - Updated 19th May 2021

Post by JP14 »

Bad news all round, Rugby Paper reporting that Six Nations is to go behind a paywall and the BBC & ITV are barred from joining together to keep it terrestrial, Sky favourites with a £300 million bid.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Six Nations to go to Sky

Post by kk20gb30 »

Whatever our feelings it's as simple as "money talks"...
Personally though would hope that the 6 Nations remains free-to-air for the sake of main stream exposure.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:53 am Bad news all round, Rugby Paper reporting that Six Nations is to go behind a paywall and the BBC & ITV are barred from joining together to keep it terrestrial, Sky favourites with a £300 million bid.
No suggestion BT are interested? I guess their view could be affected by the recent link-up with Sky via Now TV (since a week ago offering Sky Sports up-front as an integral part of various BTTV packages).
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It'd be massively counter-productive if so, most casual fans I know will just stream it rather than pay for some ludicrously expensive Sky package. And I absolutely do not need more Stuart Barnes back in my life!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

No blue sky thinking there then......
Exposure will be lost shoot self foot comes to mind.

Hope BT keep the Prem. Do not wish to pay extortionate Sky fees.
So the BBC is doomed..............
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Perhaps they'll start running out to the tune of Money Money Money!
It'd be a great shame if it was lost from terrestrial television.
It'll possibly become like the cricket.
Will clubs have to pay substantial amounts for a public licence to show matches because if so I can't see that being cost effective!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:02 pm Perhaps they'll start running out to the tune of Money Money Money!
It'd be a great shame if it was lost from terrestrial television.
It'll possibly become like the cricket.
Will clubs have to pay substantial amounts for a public licence to show matches because if so I can't see that being cost effective!
Cricket is slowly realising the error, but money talks.

No one needs more Stuart Barnes in their lifes
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

There have been some fabulous cricket from the SA tour, non better than the T20 final. The vast majority know nothing about it.
The BBC didn't include the result in their bulletins. OK SKY money to the game but how many future supporters will it bring?
Oil money has ruined wendyball and cricket. We chose to avoid the pitfall in Rugby but for how long> Saffacens cheated and
won everything. Our best players are missing 14/16 weeks of the club season because of internationals. Time to do something about it.
A life long Tiger
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Smudge wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:22 pm There have been some fabulous cricket from the SA tour, non better than the T20 final. The vast majority know nothing about it.
The BBC didn't include the result in their bulletins. OK SKY money to the game but how many future supporters will it bring?
Oil money has ruined wendyball and cricket. We chose to avoid the pitfall in Rugby but for how long> Saffacens cheated and
won everything. Our best players are missing 14/16 weeks of the club season because of internationals. Time to do something about it.
So what is the "do something about it"? Declare UDI and be sued for breach by the RFU and lose RFU funding? The RFU would simply sign up the best players on central contracts as soon as their exisitng club contracts expire. Move all competitive games from the international windows? - players will be crocked even more. Go back to amateur days? - one man and adog in the crowd apart from Boxing Day BaaBaas game.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

We don't need the AIs for a start, I only want to see the ABs on tour every few years. Familiarity breeds contempt but my solution would be to start the prem season at the start of August, We could play right through and finish end of March early April. Play 6Ns in April/May.
The players then get June July off. Yes, I know the RFU enjoys the money from the internationals but it is at serious disadvantage to the clubs. Without the clubs there is no RFU. No other sport would put up with their best players away for so long.
Central contracts has ruined county cricket and is a great dis-incentive to develop home grown players.
A life long Tiger
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Smudge wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:14 pm We don't need the AIs for a start, I only want to see the ABs on tour every few years. Familiarity breeds contempt but my solution would be to start the prem season at the start of August, We could play right through and finish end of March early April. Play 6Ns in April/May.
The players then get June July off. Yes, I know the RFU enjoys the money from the internationals but it is at serious disadvantage to the clubs. Without the clubs there is no RFU. No other sport would put up with their best players away for so long.
Central contracts has ruined county cricket and is a great dis-incentive to develop home grown players.
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Smudge, you may not want the AIs but all the national unions and Sky do want them. Sky's money is filtering down somewhere, even if some or most of it funds the hospitality of the old farts on match days.
I believe the horse has bolted and far across the horizon as far as professionalism is concerned. Harking back to the good old days is pointless. If you ever watch the highlights from the 80s & early 90s on Youtube, the line-outs were a complete farce and many games featured endless kick, maul, scrum, repeat.
Time for the RFU to take the long term view and designate the 6 Nations as a tier one sporting occasion, like football's FA Cup, Wombledon etc, and keep it free to air on Beeb and ITV - let them keep selling the AIs to Sky etc.
In addition to the drug that is AI, the other is European Champions' competition - too much money in that for the powers that be to drop it - where would that fit in your calendar?
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

Not a jock wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:39 am
Time for the RFU to take the long term view and designate the 6 Nations as a tier one sporting occasion, like football's FA Cup, Wombledon etc, and keep it free to air on Beeb and ITV - let them keep selling the AIs to Sky etc.
In addition to the drug that is AI, the other is European Champions' competition - too much money in that for the powers that be to drop it - where would that fit in your calendar?
I thought the 6 Nations WAS protected like these competitions. Shows what I know 🙄
Flash

Post by Flash »

It's protected that highlights have to be available on terrestrial TV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Local clubs may lose a revenue stream, cos many won't pay for Sky licence as it won't pay for itself.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.