Murphy's "vision".

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy's "vision".

Post by Scott1 »

This is the first time Diamond has spent up to the cap so considering all they've done extremely well.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I personally think GM will work as DOR, the world renowned coach Deano does alright.

He got handed a bucket full & a squad of which a large number give the impression they couldn't care less & refuse to take responsibility.

I will reserve judgement until we see how the new coaching team works, I would happily see us towards the lower half of the table if it leads to a stable base to build from, that would include getting rid of all players who don't get with the programme regardless of who they are.

There is no way Genge or Ford would of resigned without being happy with the way forward & it seems the board are slowly waking up & the recruitment seems on an upward trend & the Academy seems to be doing its job again, that is where our future success will come from
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes I agree,I think the DOR will suit him hugely,just keep him well away from the team :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

If it was anyone else but Murphy, they would have gone ages ago. He's had more lives than a cat. :smt017
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:32 pm If it was anyone else but Murphy, they would have gone ages ago. He's had more lives than a cat. :smt017
He's doing a job he didn't ask for as best he can. The man clearly has vision as to where the clubs should be and freely admits things are not happening on the field as they should be. We ground out a win whilst the internationals are away. That used to be the aim at this point of the season even in the glory years.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Doing a job he didn't ask for as best he can? No a promotion he accepted and his best is demonstrably attrocious. His performance as Head Coach does not deserve another unmerited promotion which he shall grab with huge relief.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Murphy was not handed the crown jewels, but he was hardly handed a bag relative to all the other clubs as suggested. I was no fan of MOC, but Tigers finished 5th in 2017-1018 with 63 points. They won 13 games. Harlequins and Worcester had 36 points and Saints 41.

It took a rare talent to see us 'progress' to the point that we finished 2018-2019 in 11th, with 41 points, 7 victories, the worst points difference in the league. Then to continue that rare 'form' into this season. If another club hadn't been given a 35 point deduction we would be 12th and strong contenders for relegation.

I can’t for the life of me see how that record can be interpreted as anything other than a disaster. The facts: 33 Prem games 11 victories. Or to put it another way, what would Murphy’s results have to be before he was deemed to be a disaster?

As for the success of the academy, given that they won one championship prior to him being appointed HC, and the players that won last year were already in place before he was appointed HC. It's difficult to see how one can attribute even that success to GM.

That said it is refreshing to see home grown talent being given the chance to shine in the first team. Recruitment for 2019-2020 seemed more coherent. Credit or convincing Genge and Ford to stay. But to be frank all of that would be irrelevant without the Saracens saga.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Having Hatley back for Bath has really helped Hooper, other than their pack they haven’t been that good in my view, like us squeezing wins at home but the difference has been they have been able to pick up points away.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

GM should be thought of like Humphreys for Gloucester.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:45 pm GM should be thought of like Humphreys for Gloucester.
No more like Frank Spencer
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

sapajo wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:18 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:45 pm GM should be thought of like Humphreys for Gloucester.
No more like Frank Spencer
Better get his skates on then....
Baz

Murphy's "vision".

Post by Baz »

Dingdong: no one is belittling the Challenge cup, but this club stands and falls by the premiership, and, in the end, those results are all that count.

To anyone who wonders what Murphy's job will be as DoR, he has stated "my remit is, and will continue to be, team selection."

I have not been impressed so far in this regard!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I hold out hope that the squad is starting to develop through squad shuffling, into something more like what is required by GM to make things work. More importantly I’m hoping SB arriving provides an up shift in our forward play (outside of the scrum obviously), and more importantly some increased intensity. I still think our attacking play lacks inventiveness and incisiveness in the backs, do we need to review the coaching situation there too?
Some astute additions under the McGinty tenure, similar to Taufua, getting players with the right hunger and mentality, not just household names. Add in utilising the academy winning sides, then just maybe we’ll start to turn the corner. Look at Exeter’s blueprint (what was the Tigers blueprint of old). Built on the foundations of a strong local core, with clever additions like Dave Dennis, Nick White, Jacques Vermeulen etc, international experience in the main, but not necessarily top tier. Yet still they come in and add some additional impact to Exeter’s foundations.